Would you do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just chcked that cars.com ad and it says:

Seller's Notes: Finishline Ford is honored to offer this stunning-looking and fuel-efficient 2006 Jeep Liberty. A deal like this on such a gas-saving SUV does not come up for grabs very often, so you better act fast. New Car Test Drive said, "...an impressive balance of off-road capability and on-road sophistication make the Jeep Liberty the perfect choice for a daily driver that's ready for serious outdoor adventures..." A wealth of standard amenities means that you no longer have to sacrifice. It has tons of options such as a 3.7L V6 engine, Power Steering Cooler, Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System, ......

A gas saving SUV,screwy.gif
3.7 & command trac are to only things you can get, not options.screwy.gif
What the heck is a Power Steering Cooler???[-X

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ild do it and i think you should to. my 06 has 25k right now, and trust me, 29k is nothing for an 06. thats pretty good. i feel like ive hardly drove mine, and it seems they havent either. just make sure its clean and have it checked out by someone first. you cant go wrong with a 4x4 when compared to a 2 wheel drive. i say do it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Not sure where in Southern IL you are, I used zip 67201 and found this one that looks like a good deal:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...onal&paId=304863398&recnum=37&leadExists=true

That looks pretty good in the photo's.
Had we waited one more year, I could of had a fully loaded 2004 Renegade for the same as we paid.:(

If YOU owned the 4x4, would YOU trade even-up for his 2wd?

I wouldn't...

Good point!

The question is, how much is the ticket price on that 06 Sport you are trying to pick up? Also is the 4x4 Full Time or Part Time? Honestly Part Time is next to useless other than in torrential downpours or in deep snow...

I would rather have part time 4X4 over full time all wheel drive!
The only all wheel drive vehicle I'd really like to have is an Audi Quattro.

Beg to differ,have had several 4x4 over the years,none full time,nary a problem.

I agree, most people don't know how to drive as it is! Put them in a Full time
4X4 around here in the winter and they all end up in a ditch.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used mine once...all though FT would've worked. Only been in 4Lo once...:(
Geez at least 15,000miles of my 68,000miles has been in 4low alone in my KJ,maybe another 5000 or so miles in part time.I hit the trail and my KJ automatically goes in 4low and stays there,the trans is also in 1st gear only.

Full time is not needed,better tires helps here.I hated the select trac I had in my '01 Grand,never would shift right(in/out of 4wd when I commanded it to).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Having part time 4X4 is fine with me.
I like being able to manually shift into four wheel drive when I need it or want it engaged.
Makes it feel like my Jeep.

Me too! That's one of the things I don't like in the KK.:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about?
Full Time 4x4 Does have Part Time and Full Time lever.. We are talking about 4x4 KJ, you either have Command Trac or Selec Trac, both has Part Time. So nobody can tell me oh I hate selec trac.. Well if you hate it don't engage it into full time, keep driving in part time. I just like driving it in full time when I need extra traction on loose surfaces, or when I need to make a quick sharp turn at the corner without getting my ass all over the place. Sure better tires help but we are talking about stock or slightly better A/T tires.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about?
Full Time 4x4 Does have Part Time and Full Time lever.. We are talking about 4x4 KJ, you either have Command Trac or Selec Trac, both has Part Time. So nobody can tell me oh I hate selec trac.. Well if you hate it don't engage it into full time, keep driving in part time. I just like driving it in full time when I need extra traction on loose surfaces, or when I need to make a quick sharp turn at the corner without getting my ass all over the place. Sure better tires help but we are talking about stock or slightly better A/T tires.
That's not the point,the select trac t-case uses detent balls to actually shift the t-case and they stick often not shifting correctly,even into part time.The command trac t-case the shifter is connected to the shift fork so it shifts correctly all the time until the shift cable breaks.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
That's not the point,the select trac t-case uses detent balls to actually shift the t-case and they stick often not shifting correctly,even into part time.The command trac t-case the shifter is connected to the shift fork so it shifts correctly all the time until the shift cable breaks.

Thank you for technically clarifying that!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the sacrifice you make for having added convenience (or annoyance) of Full Time option. At least it is not electronic shifter like in newer jeeps.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the sacrifice you make for having added convenience (or annoyance) of Full Time option. At least it is not electronic shifter like in newer jeeps.
Even though I dispise electric shift the KK's electric shift is a direct link for the select tracII unlike the indirect link in the KJ's select trac,though you loose the part time option in the select tracII.You just got to hope the electric motor works in the KK,which they are starting to report problems with them,heck GM still has major problems with there's and they've been making them for like 15 some years.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Troy........Ok I agree that the 231 is a little stronger than the 242 because of the way it is made. But the 242 is still a good t-case and mine does shift real smooth. I do use full-time all the time in the winter on the roads. It is especially good when there is patchy snow where the road surface alternates from snow to pavement. This happens here in the winter a lot.

In heavy snow I use 4hi. Off-road I never use full-time (except once or twice by accident....lol) I use 4hi off road to keep the axles locked. When I am crawling then I use 4lo with the A/T in first gear to keep the ****** from upshifting out of my maximum torque range.

I havn't wheeled it as hard as you but I do wheel it. I havn't had any trouble out of it. So while it is not quite as strong, it is strong enough.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy........Ok I agree that the 231 is a little stronger than the 242 because of the way it is made. But the 242 is still a good t-case and mine does shift real smooth. I do use full-time all the time in the winter on the roads. It is especially good when there is patchy snow where the road surface alternates from snow to pavement. This happens here in the winter a lot.

In heavy snow I use 4hi. Off-road I never use full-time (except once or twice by accident....lol) I use 4hi off road to keep the axles locked. When I am crawling then I use 4lo with the A/T in first gear to keep the ****** from upshifting out of my maximum torque range.

I havn't wheeled it as hard as you but I do wheel it. I havn't had any trouble out of it. So while it is not quite as strong, it is strong enough.

Dave
For once I actually did not say anything about the 242's weakness compared to the 231,just the shifting problems.I really do not care anymore since my 231 is gone,upgraded to a t-case that is about 1000% stronger then the 231,and no it does not have a full time option,but I can do front low only or rear low only:D.

keep07kj

Reaction score
Well I went and talked to the guy this morning. He gave me many compliments about the condition of my vehicle, but then told me that he thought he would have trouble selling it if he traded. So, that in itself brought the price up to 2500. I realize that it is tougher to sell a 2wd and a manual, but I can't give up that much money right now so I am going to keep looking.