Word censorship?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
And don't bother with the link. It has a BAD BAD scientific term in it which means the site breaks the URL. Just search for "31 Adorable Slang Terms for *** From the Last 600 Years" and you will see the AWFULNESS I was trying to lure you into. Well, time to Princum-prancum off for me.

(The redacted word starts with "s" and ends with "x". It is not sax, six, sox, or sux.)

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m having fun figuring out ways around the filters.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I do understand the need to keep the sire clean,
but as the site caters for any one
I for one dont understand all the american terms and I am sure that you dont understand all the French and English ones.
So having words stared out meaning important information could be lost or miss interpreted and that could lead to some one buying the wrong part or at worse cause an accident because of that.
Yes we know the resolvability is with the person buying the item but if a mistake was made.

As you say that these complaints have been coming in for a long time then it is time to try to find some way round it.
What has been done over the years to fix it?
Just talk?
New program looked for?
Rewiring the program?
Adding a sub routine?

Having a moderator look at all stared posts to see if it was necessary?
yes I know this is more work for them but they are there to ensure the running of the site
I know, I appreciate them for their work and input of knowledge and I am sure restraint to many posts.
Once again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THE MODERATORS have nothing to do with this , nor can change any of it, period
Complaints have not been coming in a long time, this was a recent addition to this site and the hundreds of other sites this guy owns
Now onto words you use, do you go back and reread to see what was crossed out, if so did you try other words and phrases ?
That may help some

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been removing alot of words it shouldn't have censored. It was a big list of words that I uploaded and didnt realize it had a lot of words in that list that shouldn't have been censored. Still working on it here and there but I'm all for anyone letting me know words that shouldn't be censored and I'll get it fixed.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been removing alot of words it shouldn't have censored. It was a big list of words that I uploaded and didnt realize it had a lot of words in that list that shouldn't have been censored. Still working on it here and there but I'm all for anyone letting me know words that shouldn't be censored and I'll get it fixed.
Ah - if folks only knew how much work goes into being the admin/tech person.

thanks for keeping us afloat!

i wonder if you remove a word from the censored list, does that apply in a retroactive fashion or just from that point going forward.
common things like
s c r e w
n u t
p o t

just a few i've seen recently that **** out

read6737

Reaction score
Ok I would have thought that moderators would be able to pass up the line to the owner of the site as they I would have thought that they are making money from subscriptions and sponsership, and so interested if there were problems.

Yes I did think about the words I used but for one I could not find another word and then another was a brand name so nothing to replace that, others are names of items that adults and children use in every day life and not rude.
Oner mist also remember what is rude in one language is not rude in another and inverse as well

I am not attacking any one at all, but this is the ONLY site I am a member of that has this censorship and I find it surprising and irritating.

It is also good to talk about things, problems, feelings and much more as I am sure members wish to get and give help, read enjoy the site.
I know I am new here but I do enjoy the sire and read post many times a day and feel enthused to post as well.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to invite Navin's dog but figured that was a lost cause from the get-go...

adminsheks

best site ever
Reaction score
I determine to bring together besides anyone obsessed with pursuing another involved in social controversy relevant our situation, associate me through my website in case that you see the similar.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Danakin

Reaction score
Glad to see this thread. I was about to delete my profile assuming this site was catering to the new sensitivity standards set by t w i t t e r and the like. My Jeep has a four cylinder otherwise known throughout the land as a four b a n g e r but I got asterisked! It's just distracting, confusing to conversations and in an attempt to not be offensive it's actually offensive. I'm on here to have conversations and learn about my investment. How to keep it running smooth and maybe even modify it a little to make it my own. But I feel like I have to concentrate on the words I use to get past the speech police. I appreciate Shaggy acknowledging this problem and taking corrective actions. I hope it continues to get better. I think the word screw has been resolved. I really had a hard time figuring out some posts early on before I realized what was going on. Just venting!

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that deleting the entire list and just putting every sailors favourite four letter words on it. Leave it at that. Seems easier to put down a list of bad words that come to the top of your mind rather than pick through a list of words that seems to be thousands of words long. Mods can suggest additional words as problems present themselves.
Either way, thank you for putting some time into this! Like other have said the censorship certainly creates some confusion. We do seem to have quite a few people in the forum who come from outside of USA/Canada/UK and I'm sure the censorship is rather confusing to those who do not have English as their mother tongue.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get into the habit of adding full stops....I better not say p.e.r.i.o.d.s.....between the letters.

I do not agree with the Sensors here but I like the way they think! ;)

exacerbated

I think I made it worse.
Reaction score
Pardon my juvenile effort to determine if the word **** will be censored. I'm considering a write-up of my pending adventures in the garage in an effort to give back just a little of what this forum has given me. Establishing the permissible lexicon seems like a good first step. :cool: Acceptable substitutes welcomed.

I sometimes agree with the sensors. I rarely agree with the censors. I'm grateful for this site and some of the experience shared within.

exacerbated

I think I made it worse.
Reaction score
I suppose it's hard to solicit acceptable alternatives when the first pass is censored. "Bird" is the word, but it starts with a "T". (And hits the fan) t0rd? ****?

Um, Happy Memorial Day.

exacerbated

I think I made it worse.
Reaction score
For context, I plan to tie a ribbon on the t3rd of a Jeep that sits in my alley. It needs a heap of work to remain roadworthy -- or to at least restore roadworthiness.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Once upon a time there were only 7 words that couldn't be said on radio or television... damn!

exacerbated

I think I made it worse.
Reaction score
The 2021 Nicholas Cage "History of Swear Words" is pretty entertaining, if not a bit cringe-inducing from time to time. There's some highly quotable lines in there. :cool:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try to advance the Pin assembly a few degrees by elongating he hole in the metal assembly held in place by a metal s.c.r.e.w and then rotate the assembly a bit then tighten the holding metal-rotation- holding device in a clockwise direction!

I had this problem on my 2002 CRD years ago!

Latest posts

Members online