Word censorship?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the censorship of words on this forum? There are tons of random words that show up only as "*****" and this can make some posts tough to read as critical words will be censored. This forum isn't one that has a whole lot of lewd language, so this feature is more of a bother than a help.

Example: s c r e w = *****

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
there was enough
just choose your words wisely
NO turning it off , which of course would defeat the whole purpose

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a list of banned words? Without that how can one choose their words carefully? There seems to be plenty of technical words that are censored.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a list of banned words? Without that how can one choose their words carefully? There seems to be plenty of technical words that are censored.
No list
One of the Mods asked for one or if we could see and pick and choose
but alas there is naught

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, every time you run into one post it here. :D

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are all just coming up as "*****"! Hahah. You need to separate the letters to get around the censor. I'm assuming this is a list of helpful words that you've posted and not just a bunch of swear words lol.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly hate it and feel it’s over reaching. Our community doesn’t need it and if and when there is a post with ****** words the mods can act fast and remove it.
The amour of traffic here these days - I’m sure the mods wouldn’t have to work any extra overtime ….

BigfootHunter

Reaction score
It’s clunky, i get it for swear words, but come on i can’t even talk about my master cylinder or ***** cylinder.

Edited to add, i swear master got censored in the past but either way, s c r e w is a technical term, now does it have other uses?! Sure, but at the very least someone in forum management should be able to decertify some of them, at least the ones an automotive forum should display.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s clunky, i get it for swear words, but come on i can’t even talk about my master cylinder or ***** cylinder.

Edited to add, i swear master got censored in the past but either way, s c r e w is a technical term, now does it have other uses?! Sure, but at the very least someone in forum management should be able to decertify some of them, at least the ones an automotive forum should display.
OWNERS of the million forum they own
only they can do something sadly
went to 7734 with them

read6737

Reaction score
The word censorship is a bit OTT.

To assume that a certain word is always used it the wrong context
so like saying "My "Dr has a beard so all Drs have beards".
an assumption is made, and we know what that makes of you and me.
To star out brand names, parts that we all use day to day and on our Jeeps to, words that children use to describe things that that do going to the toilet as they dont know another,
all OTT, My be a moderater would do it better than a program or at least one should check posts that have been censored just to make sure the program is correct.
***** pack F A N N Y
*** bag B U M
these two descriptions are in use every day as a discription of a type of bag, dhildren use them adults use them one is the usa discription the other in the English description. The usa version to me is rude the English on to me is clean.

I would hate to get in to all the English words and French ones that would excite the censorship program just writing about Sunday lunch.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
More comments about this one thing than almost any other more "helpful topic " there is
Still not sure what the fuss is
and no the Mods can not do a thing about it, we control nothing really
We just get to hear the moaning about it ................constantly LOL
;) :)

read6737

Reaction score
Then you pass the comments up the line to those who wrote the program, control the host site or sites and make the money from the hosting,
to change the program settings etc.
Mods and exception can be written in to programs.

This for me is the only down side with this interesting site

sthoms

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the censorship of words on this forum? There are tons of random words that show up only as "*****" and this can make some posts tough to read as critical words will be censored. This forum isn't one that has a whole lot of lewd language, so this feature is more of a bother than a help.

Example: s c r e w = *****
Agreed, and it's quite a dated forum. Not a lot of trolls, just people trying to keep their rides alive.

read6737

Reaction score
I do understand the need to keep the sire clean,
but as the site caters for any one
I for one dont understand all the american terms and I am sure that you dont understand all the French and English ones.
So having words stared out meaning important information could be lost or miss interpreted and that could lead to some one buying the wrong part or at worse cause an accident because of that.
Yes we know the resolvability is with the person buying the item but if a mistake was made.

As you say that these complaints have been coming in for a long time then it is time to try to find some way round it.
What has been done over the years to fix it?
Just talk?
New program looked for?
Rewiring the program?
Adding a sub routine?

Having a moderator look at all stared posts to see if it was necessary?
yes I know this is more work for them but they are there to ensure the running of the site
I know, I appreciate them for their work and input of knowledge and I am sure restraint to many posts.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I would mention is that all the false alarms would tend to give a new visitor to the site the impression that this IS a ****** place, when from my experience it is not.* Yes, there have always been a few here and there who didn't catch on that this was a family-friendly site and I fully support reigning that in if and when it occurs. I am not going to pretend to be a saint (I try, but fail miserably at times...), and my time in the Navy inured me to casual vulgarity.** When you are on the mess deck and hear "Pass the ************* mashed potatoes ya **********" - "OK, *******" exchanged between two friends who don't even notice what they are doing it gets you over your prissiness in a hurry. (Not to mention the lovely prose our company commander used in boot camp.) Even so, I wish there was less coarseness in the world and try not to contribute to it.

I think the owners might do better if they stuck to outlawing George Carlin's list and not trying to flag ever word that was ever used in a shady slang context as That Could Get Tricky

*And purely unintentional, but my use of the word v u l g a r was flagged...
**And for some reason we can't write v u l g a r but can use vulgarity?

Latest posts

Members online