What did you sell or trade to get your KJ?

What did you sell or trade to get your KJ?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nayne

Reaction score
98 Durango with t/s lift and 31s. Only thing i miss is the limted slip rear, and the sound of a v8 with a flowmaster. Cant wait to lift my 03 black kj

horn

Reaction score
Yesterday, traded 2005 Wrangler Sahara 4.0 with 30000 mi for a 2004 Cherokee/Liberty KJ Limited 3.7 with 70000 mi plus 6500 euro's...

Wrangler was great but too small for three kids and a dog ... and us...

So, new on the KJ forum :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hm....I thought I posted in this thread....but ...

In Feb of 07, my position area lost the benefit of a company car...which was an 04 Nissan Maxima, fully loaded. Had a month to replace it. So....once I knew that, I wanted a black WK Laredo 4x4. Nothing even close to that was available. Went to Carmax, saw the KJ, all the options I wanted, unlocked it, new car smell still. Price was right. So...went home, slept on it, then the next night I drove it home at 10.... :D Checked on it every hour that night.

Still, I didn't drive it for a month, as I used up the free gas on the Maxima. Wife drove it. Then I started driving it daily!

Markus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't make a lot of money at my current job, but I decided I would have had been in a money sinkhole if I didn't buy a newer vehicle.

I work 40 hours a week and I have a 40 mile drive (one way) to work each day. I was driving a 1996 Chevrolet Blazer (always been a GM guy) and while I loved the capability of the truck, it was a money sinkhole. All the cylinders weren't firing, and there happened to be no heat working while driving in a Western NY winter.

Instead of spending the money to fix those major problems, I invested in a down payment. Went to a Jeep dealership near where I live and had a few awesome salesmen but nothing in my price range. I looked at an 06 Commander for 19k but then realized that wasn't even close to what I wanted.

So we know how the rest of the story goes....Jeep caught my eye at another dealership (actually a GM dealership) and the rest was history.

If I DIDN'T buy my jeep, I would have been in a money sinkhole.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I traded any sense of financial security for 4 years...or shall I say 2.5 as of last week...but it still seemed scary at the time :D

cwatson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'97 Civic w/ 180,000 miles. Got $500 as a trade in. I always wanted a Jeep, but I usually inherited cars before now. A Wrangler would have been nice, but I prefer some interior sq footage, plus I live in a sometimes cold urban area and the thought of hoodlums slicing open my windows to steal anything inside was unappealing.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Sold my 2 year old, BMW530i...5 spd, BLK on BLK...Amazing car.....waaayyyy too expensive. Not too mention that was a week-end car and not a smart purchase. Oh well, live and learn. Good thing is that I was able to pay cash for my libby, I bought it used with 20k miles for $12,000 from an auto auction...not a bad deal and she has been good to me since...5 years, 96,000 miles and counting.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave the dealer my 1989 Plymouth Acclaim (with turbo! no really, it had turbo!) for $500. KBB on the thing is $200 in excellent condition, so I was happy! Upgraded from an old man car to my KJ :D

At least I got a good sub/amp from the old man car. My grandpa was a big fan of opera and classical music so he (an 80 year old man) installed a head unit, amp, and sub.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 2WD with a 360.

Who woulda thought a KJ gets better gas mileage then something? lol

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i sold my pos 99 ford contour which had 72000 miles on it and was on ****** number 3 ford+mazda=fail

Randal02

Reaction score
I traded a 2004 Nissan Titan (at 11 mpg, thank you) with 78,000 miles for a 2005 KJ with 48,000 miles. I traded even-steven. Walked out trading keys and nothing out of my pocket, not even taxes.

Judging by the drool in the corners of the dealers mouth, I gave HIM the deal of the day. But after 1 year and 25,000 miles later, I am convinced that I traded up.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded a 2004 Nissan Titan (at 11 mpg, thank you) with 78,000 miles for a 2005 KJ with 48,000 miles. I traded even-steven. Walked out trading keys and nothing out of my pocket, not even taxes.

Judging by the drool in the corners of the dealers mouth, I gave HIM the deal of the day. But after 1 year and 25,000 miles later, I am convinced that I traded up.

I would agree, that is a trade up for you :D

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold my 2 year old, BMW530i...5 spd, BLK on BLK...Amazing car.....waaayyyy too expensive. Not too mention that was a week-end car and not a smart purchase. Oh well, live and learn.

A lot of people make that mistake with BMW's. Even if you can afford the car payment, you may not be able to afford the maintenance.

Everyone I personally know that owned a BMW eventually sold it for those reasons. They got tired of paying $2,500 for a simple brake job.