What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the rear prop shaft uni's they were supposedly replaced before I took delivery but I don't think it was done. I'm chasing a vibration only minor comes in at about 70kph goes away at 80 then comes back at 110 it's not wheel balance and not front prop shaft cv's it is worse in full time. Sadly doing the uni's seems to have made it worse.

2004 3.7 limited

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Cleaned up my heatshield and plugged a big leak in the exhaust manifold, maybe. Not a fan of the "V-clamp".

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the rear prop shaft uni's they were supposedly replaced before I took delivery but I don't think it was done. I'm chasing a vibration only minor comes in at about 70kph goes away at 80 then comes back at 110 it's not wheel balance and not front prop shaft cv's it is worse in full time. Sadly doing the uni's seems to have made it worse.

2004 3.7 limited

Interesting... I'm in the same boat and was starting to think its the rear U's as well. Just picked up two. Worse in fulltime and all. Of course I have a front pinion seal leak that seems worse when I use the 4wd option so probably front or actual pinion gears in my case. I also have a slight whine under very light throttle. Goes away when full coast of increasing throttle. :Insane:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of vibration? Does it go away quick? Mine used to have one sometimes in 4 full time (sometimes 2wd but usually 4 full) around 40-50 MPH, felt like running over rumble strips. Haven't felt it since getting the trans rebuilt.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up my heatshield and plugged a big leak in the exhaust manifold, maybe. Not a fan of the "V-clamp".

I know what you mean about the V-clamps. According to mechanics near me who do engine swaps new V-clamps should be used when swapping engines - so I bought a couple of new ones at Summit Racing when I swapped the new engine in. But the bloody things wouldn't seal no matter how much I tightened them. Ended up buying a pair from the local dealer - for less than I paid at Summit - and they sealed perfectly. But those bolts are a PAIN to get to on the 3.7 - is the V-clamp on the CRD in a bad spot?

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of vibration? Does it go away quick? Mine used to have one sometimes in 4 full time (sometimes 2wd but usually 4 full) around 40-50 MPH, felt like running over rumble strips. Haven't felt it since getting the trans rebuilt.

In my case I try to "exercise" my tcase every week. I seldom run fulltime over about 40mph even though I know you can. When accelerating in 4wd it's a subtle but constant vibration that seems to subside when at speed. In 2wd it's just like Tog described except for the whine under light load. Never as bad as rumble strips but my 02 didn't do it. I'm thinking it may be a few issues since I think my 05 didn't get much exercise in it's previous life. :emotions34:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In my case I try to "exercise" my tcase every week. I seldom run fulltime over about 40mph even though I know you can. When accelerating in 4wd it's a subtle but constant vibration that seems to subside when at speed. In 2wd it's just like Tog described except for the whine under light load. Never as bad as rumble strips but my 02 didn't do it. I'm thinking it may be a few issues since I think my 05 didn't get much exercise in it's previous life. :emotions34:

Mine used to do that before I replaced the Tcase CV...does it hum/whine a bit too? Maybe your boot isn't busted but $50 is a lot less expensive than anything else it could be.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the same problem. I was able to get the vibration to decrease by replacing the worn out rear axle shafts. I still have a vibration at 70 mph that still seems to elude me.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine used to do that before I replaced the Tcase CV...does it hum/whine a bit too? Maybe your boot isn't busted but $50 is a lot less expensive than anything else it could be.

That was my first suspicion as I had to do the DriveshaftParts.com swap on my 02 a while back. I checked that when I bought out of habit and checked it again every oil change. It's intact at least, no tears. Like I said this thing sat alot but spotless so guessing in a garage. No telling what is stiff from lack of use. Yes on the whine alittle. Might swap it then anyway. I think it took all of 30 minutes on the 02. I actually have the front one sitting on a shelf too.

I also have the same problem. I was able to get the vibration to decrease by replacing the worn out rear axle shafts. I still have a vibration at 70 mph that still seems to elude me.

Could be but it'll have to get much worse before I mess with those. I really need to try the tire rotation too (next weekend). The originals were crap so couldn't tell what was tires and what was drivetrain. almost 5k on the new ones so about time and maybe one isn't balanced just right.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're reminding me I need to roll the jeep to the shop and get free balancing done on them.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... I'm in the same boat and was starting to think its the rear U's as well. Just picked up two. Worse in fulltime and all. Of course I have a front pinion seal leak that seems worse when I use the 4wd option so probably front or actual pinion gears in my case. I also have a slight whine under very light throttle. Goes away when full coast of increasing throttle. :Insane:
I don't have a whine at all. I like to use fulltime as I tow a ton if trailer everyday. I also notice I seem to get way better throttle response in fulltime. The vibration was only barely perceptible at 70kph but quite noticed when over 110 after doing the uni's it's more noticed at 70 both in 2wd and fulltime and at 110. Front prop shaft cv's were done about 20k ago and didn't fix the problem.

2004 3.7 limited

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the V-clamps. According to mechanics near me who do engine swaps new V-clamps should be used when swapping engines - so I bought a couple of new ones at Summit Racing when I swapped the new engine in. But the bloody things wouldn't seal no matter how much I tightened them. Ended up buying a pair from the local dealer - for less than I paid at Summit - and they sealed perfectly. But those bolts are a PAIN to get to on the 3.7 - is the V-clamp on the CRD in a bad spot?

Bob

On the back of the manifold next to the firewall at a downward angle invisible from below. Visible with a mirror at an awkward reach. Three tries might have it but the clamp doesn't seem closed enough so I'll probably go at it again. New clamp sounds like a good idea.

On the brighter side my hands are orange and my knees bend backwards now.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new exhaust from the cat back, new rack and pinion and hoses, and new tie rod ends. Part of it was paid by the 3 month/4500 mile warranty given by the used car dealer. An '02 just purchased in October. Now has 97,000 miles.

Last edited:

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new exhaust from the cat back, new rack and pinion and hoses, and new tie rod ends. Part of it was paid by the 3 month/4500 mile warranty given by the used car dealer. An '02 just purchased in October. Now has 97,000 miles.

my 02 just went over 172,500

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 02 just went over 172,500

Wow! She's been driven.

What is your Flomaster like? A little louder than normal, or bordering on 'getting on your nerves'? I would love a little more sound but would be worried that it would be too loud.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! She's been driven.

What is your Flomaster like? A little louder than normal, or bordering on 'getting on your nerves'? I would love a little more sound but would be worried that it would be too loud.

Look up flowmaster drone
I had one for a while and at 70 plus no talking to anyone but yourself in the KJ
if you're 20 and like noise go for it, if you like to talk to a beautiful lady beside you, forget it
Get magnaflow etc if you want an aftermarket muffler