What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhula

Reaction score
Not today but the weekend just gone.
Replaced the Thermostat on our KJ CRD.
Now the engine temp gets up to where it needs to be lickity split compared to before. Runs at just a hair below 1/2 way which is spot on.
have checked with Torque Pro (when it works) and temps seam to hover around the 80-85degC mark at the moment but I'm just tootling to and from work right now.
Got a weekend trip planned soon which will include some hills and stuff so all going well the KJ should do what it's supposed to and purr like a cat.

I'm now looking into ways to get a bit more info re engine temps reliably so that's my next little to do thing.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wash. Wash. Spot wash. Wax. Then locked it up took the bike and got lost!

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question: so what's a windshield replacement cost these days.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question: so what's a windshield replacement cost these days.
I had mine replaced a few months ago and my insurance waived all but $100.00 of my deductible. A hunert bucks ain't bad for a winshield. Not just a plain one either, it has a nice tint at the top edge.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Tore up my deck

So I had to haul the wood away...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

righopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Gorilla locking lug nuts x's 7 (1 x' s 4, +3 on spare). Bought (2) keyed-alike sets of (4) to make this work. Mounted replacement tire on replacement wheel due to spare theft. Rotate and balance. Mounted spare. Almost back to pre-theft of vehicle condition now. Still need to address burn marks on rear of front seats...

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

righopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the cost, that looks like something I want to get for my rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cost if custom installed, probably about a grand or so. I do my own homework and installs as a stress release.

I found the head unit online for $369. For my install, I also added to my order: Metra 2-DIN console replacement panel, factory wiring adapter, factory radio antenae adapter, SiriusXM SXV300v tuner kit, parking break signal delete, and upgraded IR backup camera. This rounded out my out my of pocket to close to $550.

Tools- Dremel, Soldering tools, heat shrink tubing, 12v test light, fish tool (clothes hanger), tie wraps.

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent the day with my Commander and replaced the suspension with OME HD coil springs and Bilstein 4600 shocks. To quote my wife, "It rides more truck-like but not harsh - it doesn't ride like a '78 Continental anymore..." :happy175:

The XK suspension is very similar in front to a KJ while the rear is more like a KK with a track bar and two upper control arms. Very straightforward spring/shock R&R in the back. In the front I replaced the lower control arms since the clevis bolts seized in the bushing sleeves. I was able to get the bolts out but destroyed the clevis bushings in the process - easier to just replace the entire arm. They're inexpensive and easier to remove and replace than those on the KJ since they don't use cam bolts just a simple bolt and flag nut in a slot in the cradle on the front of the arm and two smaller bolts with flag nuts through slots in the rear of the arm.

Didn't really want a "lift" in the true sense of the word but went from 19.5 inches in the rear to 21.5 and in the front went from 18 inches to 22 inches! The XK has a front-to-back rake from the factory and now sits perfectly level but too tall in the front for my taste. It will settle over time.

The ride is outstanding and I'm sure better than when new.

Some Jeep 'suspension ****' for you...

Before:

After:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks awesome, that's how they should've come from the factory. It's an 06, right? My WK was an 09 and its undercarriage was way rustier. Like the rear LCAs you could just peel rust of like peeling dried paint out of a paint tray lol.

What brand LCAs did you use?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome, that's how they should've come from the factory. It's an 06, right? My WK was an 09 and its undercarriage was way rustier. Like the rear LCAs you could just peel rust of like peeling dried paint out of a paint tray lol.

What brand LCAs did you use?

Yep, an '06. Only reason I'm not real happy with the way the front looks is the stock size tires look like little donuts. My KJ has messed me up - now I feel like I need to get larger tires :gr_grin:

I bought Mevotech LCA's from RockAuto. Fit perfectly and has a greaseable ball joint.

Really thankful the undercarriage isn't rustier than it already is. I've forgotten how much work it took to get the KJ cleaned up underneath. The PO of the Commander took really good care of it but still rustier than the KJ. They undercoated it but the coating is peeling off just like you described so I've spent a lot of time underneath with a wire brush scraping it off and repainting with Rustoleum Hammer Black. Getting better! :waytogo:

HJ, I don't remember why you got rid of the WK...?

Bob

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent the day with my Commander and replaced the suspension with OME HD coil springs and Bilstein 4600 shocks. To quote my wife, "It rides more truck-like but not harsh - it doesn't ride like a '78 Continental anymore..." :happy175:

The XK suspension is very similar in front to a KJ while the rear is more like a KK with a track bar and two upper control arms. Very straightforward spring/shock R&R in the back. In the front I replaced the lower control arms since the clevis bolts seized in the bushing sleeves. I was able to get the bolts out but destroyed the clevis bushings in the process - easier to just replace the entire arm. They're inexpensive and easier to remove and replace than those on the KJ since they don't use cam bolts just a simple bolt and flag nut in a slot in the cradle on the front of the arm and two smaller bolts with flag nuts through slots in the rear of the arm.

Didn't really want a "lift" in the true sense of the word but went from 19.5 inches in the rear to 21.5 and in the front went from 18 inches to 22 inches! The XK has a front-to-back rake from the factory and now sits perfectly level but too tall in the front for my taste. It will settle over time.

The ride is outstanding and I'm sure better than when new.

Some Jeep 'suspension ****' for you...

Before:

After:

Looks a lot better now. Bigger tires will definitely need to happen.:gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, an '06. Only reason I'm not real happy with the way the front looks is the stock size tires look like little donuts. My KJ has messed me up - now I feel like I need to get larger tires :gr_grin:

I bought Mevotech LCA's from RockAuto. Fit perfectly and has a greaseable ball joint.

Really thankful the undercarriage isn't rustier than it already is. I've forgotten how much work it took to get the KJ cleaned up underneath. The PO of the Commander took really good care of it but still rustier than the KJ. They undercoated it but the coating is peeling off just like you described so I've spent a lot of time underneath with a wire brush scraping it off and repainting with Rustoleum Hammer Black. Getting better! :waytogo:

HJ, I don't remember why you got rid of the WK...?

Bob

Trans randomly going into limp mode with no codes, evaporator core was leaking and the AC sucked because of that, blower motor would randomly not work on hot days, rust in the doors and undercarriage (think I bought it too late to save it- 4 yrs old/52k miles but early enough to where it hadn't gotten bad)

I think those are the main reasons. :gr_grin:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the commander a good purchase for a larger vehicle? I like the 3 row seats
which model,year, engine, ****** is a good purchase?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tested out my wax job on the jeep. Looks good! Think I have a sticking right front caliper though so that's next in the list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DISAPPOINTED ........
Kept waiting for someone to mention the Goodyear Blimp in the background of that awesome BLACK Commander

Me too!!! :emotions34:

I purposely put the blimp right on the hood when I framed the shot and thought there'd be Ooohs and Ahhhs with the black Jeep as contrast. Guess Jeeps are mesmerizing... :happy175:

is the commander a good purchase for a larger vehicle? I like the 3 row seats
which model,year, engine, ****** is a good purchase?

If I had to do it over again I'd buy an '09 or '10 Commander since they came with the refreshed Hemi - about 15 more HP and almost 30 ft/lbs more torque. Plus on the Limited models Jeep added a few more amenities like heated rear seats, much nicer Nav/head unit, powered rear lift gate, etc. But I can't complain - a young guy driving a "compensation truck" (ya know, excess lift, bull balls hanging from the hitch, diesel stack as big as a garbage can - compensating for 'something') pulled up next to me at a light and I gave him a little head nod and a chuckle. When the light went green he floored it and I passed him within a couple of car lengths.

At the next light he looked like I stole his girl or something :happy175::happy175::happy175:

That Hemi kicks butt :winner_third_h4h:

Bob

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DISAPPOINTED ........
Kept waiting for someone to mention the Goodyear Blimp in the background of that awesome BLACK Commander

Meh. I saw it but I tend to enjoy military aircraft more since I get to be around them.:gr_grin: The Hemi is definitely the better engine to get with the Commander.