What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I tested the idea that I could swap in older ('02) illuminated window, door lock and mirror switches into my '05:

failure... and success!... and failure... and sorta failure

The door lock switches do not work... and I can see why. The plug is a 4 wire plug, and at least on the '05 KJ, there are only 2 wires to that plug - the 2 outside wires. The 2 inside wires go directly to the LED (or the spot where the LED should be).

So now I have to see how to tap into a 12v ignition switched wire in the door. I don't know if one exists because the mirror power is on all the time (as far as I know) and the defrost is only on when the defrost relay is on. I don't know if it is possible to tap into the wire for the door lock switch itself or not, and if I do will that cause issues.

The mirror switch worked like a champ - just plugged the old one in and it now glows green as God intended.

And regarding the master front window switch... It plugged in and even illuminated all the LEDs on the older switch, but the front windows don't operate. I was afraid of this because when I looked at the circuit boards, they had obvious differences. I'll see what, if anything can be done there, but I'm guessing that will have to be a hack-job to get the light to those two back switches on that master panel.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wish the steering wheel buttons lit up...the other stuff I'm ok with being dark. I don't think any KJs had that.

At least my KJ's lighted stuff still works...unlike my old 09 WK where the climate control lights were completely dead.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I never , ever look at is the switches, AC/ Heat controls/ Where the shifter is . I guess after 13 years over 255-260,000 in these KJs I know by feel where everything is by feel. I could be blind and drive with no issues! Well maybe one small one :gr_grin:

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps my wife and I are just blind - but I know we both prefer to have some sort of illumination over fumbling in the dark. The '02 and some of the '03 had all the switches illuminated. Sometime in '03 they changed it. I originally thought they were just missing the LEDs, but the master window switch changed and there are missing wires in the doors. I can't imagine that Chrysler did it because of driver feedback - more likely cost cutting.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish the digital display under the tach showed PRND21 / 4wd It seems like a waste. Plus the gear shift light shines on my winsheild st night on the dark off road trails

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish the digital display under the tach showed PRND21 / 4wd It seems like a waste. Plus the gear shift light shines on my winsheild st night on the dark off road trails

My 4wd mode lights don't even work anymore,that sensor is taped up beside my trans since I don't have the stock t-case.I have the fix for it but with how busy I've been at work I been having that "I'll do it next week" attitude for the last 5 years:favorites68:.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude the only thing stock on your jeep is like one panel of sheet metal. :D
i'm excluding paint btw.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Mine shows 4 full time or 4 part time under the tach.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does too but just saying would be nice to see a full range display in thst empty space.
I might also pull that bulb on the shifter console because at night on dark roads it's all I see on the winsheild. I notice little things and then it drives me nuts haha

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand tstat did you use? Any issues getting the old one out?

I got one from Napa ($25ish). No issues getting it out other than its location. Removal of the air box, belt and tensioner gave lots more room to work. It was leaky, I likely only needed the gasket, but it was open so why not?

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last 2 days was 350 highway miles, 90 of it with a trailer. Wish I could say it was fun. But my KJ did just fine... but woulda been better with 4.10s.

When towing my boat it was always 3rd gear od off. Just couldn't find 4th ever with 3.73 and a load.

The good news is that i never lost speed up a grade as that engine loves to spin at 2200 - 2800 rpms.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought some Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid today... I hope this is what I need. Also bought some ramps. Going to try to change the fluid Sunday along with the oil sending unit as well.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove to a wedding in Georgia for the weekend. Another lifted Libby is here at the wedding but didn’t find the owner yet.

Latest posts

Members online