What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Installed all 4 new caliper, brakes and rotors and also installed both new wheel bearings, it also had a belt squeal when the ac and defroster was on so I installed a new belt tensioner, worked like a charm!!

New belt as well ?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4.10 and 245/70R16 and now all i can say is that the jeep has lots of power. And no I am not going to get bigger tires its awesome to finally have a fun jeep.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4.10 and 245/70R16 and now all i can say is that the jeep has lots of power. And no I am not going to get bigger tires its awesome to finally have a fun jeep.

how hard is the 4.10 swap? I have heard many stories like yours about it just being better. Is it better for off road only or will I gain something on road. Since my wife primarily drives the KJ on pavement, that has to be the number one concern...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
how hard is the 4.10 swap? I have heard many stories like yours about it just being better. Is it better for off road only or will I gain something on road. Since my wife primarily drives the KJ on pavement, that has to be the number one concern...

Notice WAY more on road
cost ?
Depend on if you can find a 4 cylinder KJ or have new ones installed

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The roof is coming. I built this without plans and figured it might be a good idea to actually measure out the roof part.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Roadmaster/RM-061.html

You must be registered for see images attach

work great to quiet down draw bars. aids in towing as the trailer won't "wibble" around behind you, or sound like it just fell off and hit an IED. I especially like how it keeps the bike rack from swaying.

I woulda never thought to even look for something like that, so thanks. I found this, which appears to also work very well and is a bit less expensive: StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2 Inch and 1.25 Inch Hitches on Amazon

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my only concern with that design, is it doesn't provide possible fore-aft movement of the bracket. aka, it could slide forward and off the receiver. the one I listed is designed to clamp the draw bar and receiver diagonally, so that slipping is less likely to happen. I install mine nuts down also, since there's little to no room to put it in nuts up, with my short receiver. take a look at the install pictures on etrailer's site to see what i'm talking about.

I wish Blue Ox still made the old one I had, that clamped diagonally and used a bracket that prevented slipping. That one NOTHING would make the draw bar move; not even the fully loaded car trailer. Sadly it suffered from rot due to poor metal treatment.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4.10 swap was not the easiest, but again I was doing a bunch of upgrades in the process. I have a used set of 4.10 gears and a Trac loc limited slip with only 100,000 miles on it. ITS FOR SALE just make a offer. I also have new ring gear mounting bolts as well.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4.10 swap was not the easiest, but again I was doing a bunch of upgrades in the process. I have a used set of 4.10 gears and a Trac loc limited slip with only 100,000 miles on it. Its your just make a offer. I also have new ring gear mounting bolts as well.

This is exactly what I wanna do but never found the parts in my local pick yards yet. That along with skids plates and tow hooks
Would be a nice spring time project when the summer vehicles are out but having the LSD for winter sounds great.

Does the gearing throw off the speedometer or the larger tires ? I would keep the same tires i have now

Quoting another member :

Have you ever set up gears before? It can be done but you will need a 20ton(at least) press,some real good dial indicators,a good 1/2" torque wrench(needs to go to at least 350lbs-ft of torque),a very good 1/4" torque wrench,and the special 8.25 bearing adjuster tools.Of course you will need a manual for the specs and such for both axles.It will be time consuming if you have not done it before,expect at least 2-5 days since the front diff has to be completely removed(a big cost at a shop).

I do know how to set up gears,did my 4.10's(well the rear 8.25 gears and the front DTT) myself and have done other setups in axles from a D30 to a Rockwell 5ton axle and I will tell you I would rather go to a dentist and have a root canal done without any Novocain.There that much of a pain in the a$$ to do sometimes.It would probably be best to have a very experienced person do the setup in my opinion.

Oh and I paid to have my new axles setup,that's how much I hate doing them.

Seems like it's out of my ballpark for tools and patience required

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speedo has not changed and is accurate. I have almost stock size tires so the tire size has not thrown off the speedo either.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 1998 XJ w/ 135k miles on it. This is going to be my daily driver. Going to slap a cheap 4.5" rough country lift and some 33s or 35s on it to get it out into the woods. Going to see if I can swap the disc brake brackets from my spare KJ axle.

Gave my gf the liberty to drive to work, keeping her Chevy Impala for when one of us breaks their daily. We got tired of people not wanting to go wheeling so now we can go ourselves (her in the liberty, me in the XJ)

Ever since I got rid of my bike I miss racing. I've raced cars and bikes but never off road racing so the XJ will be built to go fast.

Unfortunately for you guys I'm not going anywhere just because I bought a new to me jeep the liberty is not finished yet (are they ever?)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice XJ. I love mine, although mine is stock and staying that way. How's it run? I'd first replace most of the cooling system stuff (flush, WP, Tstat, radiator if it's leaking, fan clutch). Seems to be the weak point of an XJ.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I wanna do but never found the parts in my local pick yards yet. That along with skids plates and tow hooks
Would be a nice spring time project when the summer vehicles are out but having the LSD for winter sounds great.

Does the gearing throw off the speedometer or the larger tires ? I would keep the same tires i have now

Quoting another member :

Seems like it's out of my ballpark for tools and patience required
I used to do gears etc , but if you don't do it daily almost like Troy stated it can be a bit of a PITA. Now if I do need some done, an expert does them. They mess up its their issue, not mine, not worth me doing it and I have most of the tools

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice XJ. I love mine, although mine is stock and staying that way. How's it run? I'd first replace most of the cooling system stuff (flush, WP, Tstat, radiator if it's leaking, fan clutch). Seems to be the weak point of an XJ.
Runs good so far, was a 77 mile drive home from where I got it. Tomorrow I'm going to spend a few hours doing filters/fluids and oils/spark plugs etc. P/o said thermostat was just changed. Haven't noticed any leaks anywhere yet. Springs/shocks look original so they need to be replaced.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the junk yard and found a few goodies:

• Auto Dimming rear-view mirror - I took that and the wiring harness all the way to the back lift gate. I don't know how much of it I'll need, but better to have more than not enough.
  • Illuminated lock, mirror and window switches (see my thread in Electrical section).
  • RB1 Radio with external DVD player (from '05 Voyager) - Took all the wiring for it but ran outta time and couldn't get the roof mounted screen. Hopefully it'll still be there next week and then I'll have the whole setup.

Last edited:

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all of a sudden it would not start!

I had to run an errand before my date tonight. The key just turned round and round.!

Oh no. All I heard in my mind was her saying
"another date broken while you fix stuff...."

after a quick internet search, a trip to the parts store, $40 and two hours later I ran my errand and Katherine's on her way over now.

What did I do to my liberty? Replace broken ignition switch actuator.