What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost clipped a BMW X5 on the way home, as she did a lane change with me at the rear quarter. If only I had a steel bumper, I wouldn't have used my brakes. She obviously didn't know how to use a mirror.
BMW = Babbling Mindless Wench

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New rear shocks and coils in. Monroe Load Levelers for a 2000 Durango and JBA 4 inch. It rides like a dream now!!! I love it so much that I drove it to work just to drive it.

Also sitting .5" taller. 23.5" hub to flare after a little drive. I like the rake look.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hows it feel compared to the Bilsteins?

Stiff. But clean. The Bilsteins to me were super sloppy from the moment I put them in. Take it with a grain of salt. I got them used. That being said the gentleman I got them from was very reputable in my opinion. They were definitely on their way out when I removed them. Oil coming out the top seals...I must have overloaded them. They still sprung up a bit but not nearly as fast as they used to. That being said I never noticed a huge difference in the handling...I always thought it was sloppy.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like stiff. I had 2 sets of Bilsteins and they all ended up blowing the top seal and leaking and getting mushy and clunky.

Thought they rode nice when new. I'll probably go with the Monroes if/when my OMEs blow up since they don't make them any more.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like stiff. I had 2 sets of Bilsteins and they all ended up blowing the top seal and leaking and getting mushy and clunky.

Thought they rode nice when new. I'll probably go with the Monroes if/when my OMEs blow up since they don't make them any more.

I do have to say...they are about .75-1" shorter than the Bilsteins that I had but they seem to be in a decent position and don't look in danger of topping out. Definitely haven't felt them top out. I'm sitting on 4-4.5" of lift too.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comparison shots:

You must be registered for see images attach

And all installed:

I had to do what Tom mentioned and grind off a couple millimeters from the spring perch where the shock's spring was contacting just slightly. It might have been OK with load on it (since the shock tilts away from the perch) but I got rid of some and painted it up anyway. Clears pretty well now.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's nice to know we have 2 good options for rear shocks instead of one

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's nice to know we have 2 good options for rear shocks instead of one

Been an option for years now
Many said when I first brought up using them they wouldn't work ( the SensaTrac overloads) I proved them wrong :icon_razz:
with lots of people running them after that .
Although back then we had the Rancho RSX 17004s ( which was a perfect shocks for the KJ ) plus the OME 132Ls , we didn't even think of using the Bilsteins back then.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been an option for years now
Many said when I first brought up using them they wouldn't work ( the SensaTrac overloads) I proved them wrong :icon_razz:
with lots of people running them after that .
Although back then we had the Rancho RSX 17004s ( which was a perfect shocks for the KJ ) plus the OME 132Ls , we didn't even think of using the Bilsteins back then.

I know they've been around for a while I just didn't know if anyone still used them
I'm thinking of switching to those once my Bilstein's get worn out
Are they the correct width? Just have to bend the mount a little?
I wish the 132Ls and the Ranchos weren't discontinued but it is what it is I guess
It just limits us in getting quality parts

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they've been around for a while I just didn't know if anyone still used them
I wish the 132Ls and the Ranchos weren't discontinued but it is what it is I guess

Mine fit well. I had the install kit for the Bilsteins from JBA and fit one rubber washer in on the top mount. The bottom was real close so I just cranked it tight.

Didn't have to use washers like the crappy Bilsteins.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have about 6000 miles on the JBA 2.5 inch Full Control Lift now. After this last weeks road trip thought I would " fine tune " the fronts just a bit more.
Pulled the Bumpstops out and after adjustments were done thought I should clean them up a bit.
JAX WAX to the rescue , spray on the Super Citrus cleaner, waited about two minutes, hosed that off and sprayed on the Shine All.
Almost looks brand new ! ( need to touch up some rusty looking bolts I see and a brake line) :emotions34:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I bet any amount of money these would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-...automotive&vehicleId=4&vehicleType=automotive

They're a bit longer than the Monroe's that I have too.

Anything for a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 should work.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rancho 17004 RSX17000 Shock Absorber | eBay

dont know the quantity or if they are 17000 or 04 ,

WOW
about 5 years ago or whenever it was they discontinued them, I searched everywhere for them, had two new ones but thought I could score a few more. Found three and that was it supposedly in the US. Wonder how many this person has ?

Members online

No members online now.