What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So give us a review of the new Cabela's!

I've been to the one in Wheeling a few times and to a bunch of Bass Pro Shops - just wondering if it's worth a 90 minute drive to Cabela's. We have a couple of really good fishing stores within 30 minutes of me.

Like I really need to spend money on fishing equipment - I have a KJ to support :gr_grin:

Bob

If its anything like the one they built at Polaris above Columbus its terrible. Dundee Michigan has a great one, the one at Polaris is nothing even comparable to it.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, for nearly 200,000 miles on the body and 12,000 of that being on the new engine so far, I kept up my interior very nicely now that I take a step back and look at it.
You must be registered for see images attach
What's with them armrests? Looks like they are caked with something.

Last edited by a moderator:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
So give us a review of the new Cabela's!

I've been to the one in Wheeling a few times and to a bunch of Bass Pro Shops - just wondering if it's worth a 90 minute drive to Cabela's. We have a couple of really good fishing stores within 30 minutes of me.

Like I really need to spend money on fishing equipment - I have a KJ to support :gr_grin:

Bob
If you want something, they have it. You'll pay a little more than you might somewhere else. If you want to spend a couple hours just gawking at stuff it won't cost you a cent and is more entertaining than the same two hours would be at a $10 movie.

As for fishing, lots of rod & reel combos and what looked like literally thousands of different lures. (I did not count them.) :happy175:

When I was in SC for a funeral last month I made my first and only other visit to a Cabelas. It is right at the NC-SC border and I can't remember which side. The new store in Avon looked exactly the same, except some of the stuffed animals on the big hill in the back were arranged differently. :hunter:

If its anything like the one they built at Polaris above Columbus its terrible. Dundee Michigan has a great one, the one at Polaris is nothing even comparable to it.
I'm extremely curious as to why you think that one is terrible. I haven't seen it but the two I have seen were identical but for the location of the aforementioned cow on wall .

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bass Pro Shops can be very different. The one in Cincy is basically in a mall and is nothing like the Bass Pro up in Rossford that's like a mall unto itself. The place is huge.

I haven't stopped at the Cabela's at Polaris cuz it seems kind of 'generic' compared to the Wheeling Store. I've been to Cabela's in Dundee, MI and that location is even better than Wheeling.

Prof, is the Avon store a square box or does it have the "log cabin/western lodge" feel to it?

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Prof, is the Avon store a square box or does it have the "log cabin/western lodge" feel to it?

Bob
Log cabin/western lodge, I'd say. Lots of wood, etc. The outside looks like a giant hunting cabin. Inside, you have to look straight up at the ceiling (metal trusses) to break the spell.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took care of 3 KJ jobs the past few days.

1. Upper control arm bushings (rear). The Dorman bushings lasted 1 month. They are made in Taiwan. I got the Moog ones this time. They are made in China. So I ordered the JBA tri-link extension to try to alleviate the bushings' working angle. $164 CDN later it arrived at my doorstep.

The destroyed Dorman bushings came out rather easy... not really surprised considering the abuse I had to inflict to remove the originals. But now the Moogs dropped right in. I guess the holes had stretched some. I tacked the bushings in, and continued with the install.

Something I hadn't considered is the addition of the tri-link extension (w/o shim washers) immediately rotates the pinion up a few degrees because of the bracket thickness. I'm not sure that's ideal, because my ujoint angles were equal and opposite before, but now not so much. No vibration so far, but I guess time will tell. Hopefully those bushings last longer!

2. U-joint - rear driveshaft at pinion. I put a Moog (greasable) in about 2 years ago, but it was developing some play when working the joint by hand. I put another Moog one in. No play now. Inspecting the old joint, needles, journal surfaces and grease all looked good despite the play. Weird.

3. Ignition actuator. After not having the accessory position for about a year, the whole thing gave out. I got the Dorman one for far too much $$$ because I needed it on short notice. :Violin: I had trouble putting it together so I swapped the Dorman center piece into the rest of the OE holder portion. Then it all fit together easily.

Finally, I think the Jeep is ready for the 500km commute to work on Wednesday. :winner_third_h4h:

Last edited by a moderator:

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed new Polk DB651s speakers in the front and rear doors. It still had the original Infinity speakers and while the rear ones were in good shape, both front speakers had lost all their foam (which we could hear of course!).

Scott

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it around with it's "new" front suspension. Which is actually HJ's old front suspension that I got from him like a year ago.

I'll post pics in the next few days

Me likey! Thanks HJ:favorites13:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice. I can't wait to see pics. How's it ride? Did I give you the rear coils too?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Took care of 3 KJ jobs the past few days.

1. Upper control arm bushings (rear). The Dorman bushings lasted 1 month. They are made in Taiwan. I got the Moog ones this time. They are made in China. So I ordered the JBA tri-link extension to try to alleviate the bushings' working angle. $164 CDN later it arrived at my doorstep.

The destroyed Dorman bushings came out rather easy... not really surprised considering the abuse I had to inflict to remove the originals. But now the Moogs dropped right in. I guess the holes had stretched some. I tacked the bushings in, and continued with the install.

Something I hadn't considered is the addition of the tri-link extension (w/o shim washers) immediately rotates the pinion up a few degrees because of the bracket thickness. I'm not sure that's ideal, because my ujoint angles were equal and opposite before, but now not so much. No vibration so far, but I guess time will tell. Hopefully those bushings last longer!

2. U-joint - rear driveshaft at pinion. I put a Moog (greasable) in about 2 years ago, but it was developing some play when working the joint by hand. I put another Moog one in. No play now. Inspecting the old joint, needles, journal surfaces and grease all looked good despite the play. Weird.

3. Ignition actuator. After not having the accessory position for about a year, the whole thing gave out. I got the Dorman one for far too much $$$ because I needed it on short notice. :Violin: I had trouble putting it together so I swapped the Dorman center piece into the rest of the OE holder portion. Then it all fit together easily.

Finally, I think the Jeep is ready for the 500km commute to work on Wednesday. :winner_third_h4h:

Thats why JBA supplies washers so you can adjust the angle with the tri link extender, don't run without them

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why JBA supplies washers so you can adjust the angle with the tri link extender, don't run without them

The washers add more angle easily. I wanted less. Figured I'd give 0 washers a shot. So far so good.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The washers add more angle easily. I wanted less. Figured I'd give 0 washers a shot. So far so good.

But you have a 3 inch or so lift? Right?
Never ran into one that to correctly set the pinion angle no washers were needed , must be a first

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got rear ended last night by an uber driver in a bmw suv. Cruise down I55 south around 40mph. This section always comes to a stop. The guy in front of me jammed pretty hard i was able to stop. I look behind me and they arent. She said he brakes didnt work. The slipped whatever i was pissed until i seen the damage then i was furious. He bmw had the bumper cracked and the grill pushed in. The tire got her grill and is still holding air. She scraped up my paint i dont know what i am going to do.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I can't wait to see pics. How's it ride? Did I give you the rear coils too?

Yep, I have the rear coils also. Still deciding if I will put those in, it sits level now, just waiting to see if it settles in at all.

Jbergun said:
She said the brakes didnt work.

Yeah...right.. More like her brains didn't work:emotions34: