What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not optimistic at all. 200k+ is the norm for vehicles in my family. we take care of them.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered the blend door actuator. Can take the ambient cold but the defrost/defog activates the AC. Froze my ass off today in the foggy rain even though it was almost 50F outside. :favorites68::mad3::nutkick:

Guess I'll be dissecting my dash this weekend. :icon_sad:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heh... you want a cry? go look into doing a timing belt and water pump on a PT Cruiser. Normally I don't shy away from doing things, but after spending a couple hours (yes! hours!) researching and staring at it, I decided the price for a shop I trust to do it was worth it. Wasn't cheap ($2100) but they did EVERYTHING while they were in there (timing belt, water pump, all accesory belts, cam seals, front main seal, new coolant, new power steering fluid, trans fluid change, A/C flush & fill which is required since the lines are in the way) and it's a job that at current mileage usage by mom is every 10 years. So basically for $210/yr of usage she has a freshened car and is ready to roll on to 200k miles :D

No crying is when you see the bill for any repairs on a Northstar V8.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered the blend door actuator. Can take the ambient cold but the defrost/defog activates the AC. Froze my ass off today in the foggy rain even though it was almost 50F outside. :favorites68::mad3::nutkick:

Guess I'll be dissecting my dash this weekend. :icon_sad:
Please take some photos of that workout! :icon_twisted:
Do we have a write up or how 2 on this job?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please take some photos of that workout! :icon_twisted:
Do we have a write up or how 2 on this job?

There is a brief outline I'll be following:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/how-do-i-access-blend-door-actuator-53345/

and I have my FSM and a Haynes manual to help. I figure it's already messed up so I can't make it much worse. I'll try the teardown on Saturday. Not sure when the part will arrive so just need to get it out far enough to reach the actuator. It sets right on top so don't have to do the full evisceration like one would do for a heater core.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a brief outline I'll be following:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/how-do-i-access-blend-door-actuator-53345/

and I have my FSM and a Haynes manual to help. I figure it's already messed up so I can't make it much worse. I'll try the teardown on Saturday. Not sure when the part will arrive so just need to get it out far enough to reach the actuator. It sets right on top so don't have to do the full evisceration like one would do for a heater core.

Are you changing out the heater core and AC evap while you're at it?

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No crying is when you see the bill for any repairs on a Northstar V8.

those have the head and block casting that's cracked off so there's no gasket. pretty much you toss the motor and put in a new one if anything goes wrong with it, was my understanding.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you changing out the heater core and AC evap while you're at it?

No. Just the actuator. I have no indication of any trouble with either and the AC has blown cold for the 8 years I've owned it. Never had it serviced and use it frequently. I've sort of adopted an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality in my progressing years. :gr_grin:

I do have a soon to go heater core in my 98 Ranger. That change process is imminent and just as sucky as the KJs. :favorites68:

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not optimistic at all. 200k+ is the norm for vehicles in my family. we take care of them.

So you spent $2100 for basic maintenance on a vehicle with trade value between $800 and $1400 with the expectation its going to run 200K more miles.

Cool.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Just the actuator. I have no indication of any trouble with either and the AC has blown cold for the 8 years I've owned it. Never had it serviced and use it frequently. I've sort of adopted an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality in my progressing years. :gr_grin:

I do have a soon to go heater core in my 98 Ranger. That change process is imminent and just as sucky as the KJs. :favorites68:

Have fun and take lots of pictures/video!
:D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just had a good look over that job in FSM & other posting from Joe Jeeper, EEK!
Fun is not the word I would use.
Could they put that actuator in a worse place ..really..??

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painted the entire underside and played with paint ideas

You must be registered for see images

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it looks terrible, you should try something else and give the ARB to me! :gr_grin:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my MA safety inspection for the year. I'm always nervous when I go to get that done but have no reason why. I keep up on all repairs and maintenance. Kinda like taking a test on how you maintain your vehicle I guess.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When Arkansas had that ridiculous BS going on I was a licensed inspector. It was done by independent shops with an absurdly low fee. We had to buy books of inspection stickers, do the procedure, then install a sticker, with the vehicle owner getting the attached tab to take to the revenue office for license renewal. The fee was so low that inspection stations had one of two choices A. find something wrong with every vehicle through the bay and then charge premium price to fix it (didn't make you real popular with the buying public) B.Run em all through the stall without checking much of anything and slap a sticker on em (didn't make you real popular with the law folks). I always chose the latter option.

When we got the first Republican governor since the war of Northern aggression, Mr. Mike Huckabee, all the regulatory BS was done away with. What was a 1/2 day ordeal to buy license for a car turned into buying a stamp and putting a check in the mail.

Bob