What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she's sleeping right now. packing the miles on the beater as much as I can. might have to drive the jeep the next couple days as it's going to be 85*+ outside, and the beater's A/C can't keep up. (1992 Dodge shadow, old R12 system "converted" to run R134a and it doesn't do nearly as well.)

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still got the rear diff and transfer case w/ the stuck fill plug.

On mine, I used a not too sharp chisel, hitting it in the direction to unscrew, counterclockwise!(righty tighty, lefty loosey :icon_lol:) It took a while, but finally broke loose. Get a new one, and don't tighten it as much.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. I'm planning to go to rent some time at a newly opened diy shop space.
$20 an hour and $5 for tool.
Hoping they've got some tools that might do the trick.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 foot section of pipe that's just the right diameter to go over the end of a ratchet :D

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to try tjkj's suggestion of doing the opposite of cooling the plug down after a long drive. Have a can of dust off ready to use as well.

That and an impact wrench. imma gonna get that sucker out, i hope.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Transferred my insurance from Ohio to Virginia and had my bill go up by 20%. :favorites68:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transferred my insurance from Ohio to Virginia and had my bill go up by 20%. :favorites68:

Sorry to hear that, Prof. Living in Ohio it's easy to take our cheap car insurance rates for granted. My son moved to Nashville and experienced the same increase you did. And that was AFTER an old traffic violation dropped off his record :favorites68:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Prof. Living in Ohio it's easy to take our cheap car insurance rates for granted. My son moved to Nashville and experienced the same increase you did. And that was AFTER an old traffic violation dropped off his record :favorites68:

Bob

Yes back when we were thinking the wife may keep teaching at Harvard I checked into insurance over there :favorites68::thumbsdown::emotions34::Bye:
Wow ridiculous amounts
My insurance has had the same location/address for the last 45 years, never changed it from when I was 16. They still think I live where I grew up:happy175:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to local dealer for recalls. Apparently, previous owner didn't take care of any recalls. Got towing hitch, rear lower control arm and front lower ball joints. They found out i have a lift installed so they charged me 1 1/2 hrs of labor for ball joint, which i'm fine with. I ended up getting inner tie rod replaced, since thats what kept me from getting wheel alignment. Its going to cost me 650ish but oh well.

Finally a month after my lift I get my wheel aligned.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Went to local dealer for recalls. Apparently, previous owner didn't take care of any recalls. Got towing hitch, rear lower control arm and front lower ball joints. They found out i have a lift installed so they charged me 1 1/2 hrs of labor for ball joint, which i'm fine with. I ended up getting inner tie rod replaced, since thats what kept me from getting wheel alignment. Its going to cost me 650ish but oh well.

Finally a month after my lift I get my wheel aligned.

So they thought it took longer since you have a lift installed to do lower ball joints :emotions34::icon_lol: Oh well

Not sure how you drove it for a month before getting it aligned, we always do them within the first 30 minutes. Squirrely without an alignment

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the deal that really bugs me on the insurance:

Old: Parked on the street in Cleveland, Ohio. Broken into last November resulting in a $2000 claim. No increase.

New: Parked in a private driveway in Sterling, VA (a decent far-suburb of Washington, D.C.). Added a $500 two-way security system. Rates soar.

You can go here: NeighborhoodScout and plug in zip codes 44111 (Cleveland) or 20164 (Sterling) and compare the property crime rate. You'd think they would be thanking me for moving...

:emotions34:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How much are you guys paying for KJ insurance in the USA a year?
Mine here in BC Canada for all perils including if I crash for a collision, is about $3000 per year less a safe driver's discount of 40%= $ 1800
The collision aspect included above is about $600 per year, after discount.
In an effort to save $ I now insure without collision.

Last edited:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they thought it took longer since you have a lift installed to do lower ball joints :emotions34::icon_lol: Oh well

Not sure how you drove it for a month before getting it aligned, we always do them within the first 30 minutes. Squirrely without an alignment

I was thinking maybe I should have changed ball joint myself as soon as I heard it, but I'm just too lazy.

I managed to drive it, but was experiencing severe steering movement. Horrible driving experience, lol. I'm just glad I finally got this taken care of.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to pull my buddies KJ Renegade out of the mud. Failed.
It's been raining all week, as soon as the tires break through it's like chocolate pudding.

Gave it a go with a tow strap and 4-lo but didn't want to add another Jeep to the list.

We had to go get the tractor.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.