What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice rack KJmurf.
Would it have better to mount the gas cans parallel to the Jeep rather than sideways? I would think that would be less drag and stress while driving. Ir is it a matter of easier access with them mounted like you have them?

Thank you, but John3seventeen is correct...you have to visualize my lighter gear i.e. camp boxes, etc., in front of the gas cans.

Also, I mounted them sideways to facilitate ease of putting full jerry cans in the mounts (that is why the backs are taller than the front). I am also lucky to find some filling stations that will either fill them in place on the rack (some BS about grounding issues) or let me do it (Oregon is a non-selfserve state...I know, right?). Or fill them myself, like if I owned a motorcycle, the only ones that the stations will let fill their own tank, because there is no backflow to automatically stop the filler.

So, as you can see from the pics, I also use a siphon tube that has a ball bearing in it to stop liquids from going back down the tube...so, I just put the copper end down in the bottom of the can and jiggle it until the hose fills with gas, reaches past the level of the can, and presto...3.5 gpm of flow. It takes 1.5 minutes to empty one 5 gal jerry can and I don't have to wrestle with it or waste gas spilling down the side of my KJ. Pure genius. Whoever thought of that is one of my heroes. Especially for $7.

I have put another 4 foot section of tube that slides over the siphon tube, so I can reach the passenger jerry can just as easy.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks...and necessity is truly the mother of invention.

Same theory applied to my next project, putting in my on board air system. I looked all under the body and engine compartment for a safe place to mount my compressor and another place to mount the 2 gallon tank. After much deliberation and desire to find a "cool" (in more ways than one) location, I finally surmised that the rear cargo compartment was ultimately the "coolest" and safest place to mount. There is no doubt that it can be done under the body, but then I would have to build a separate armor plate to protect it (more work) and it was not the easiest place to be working/repairing from (again, more work).

Anyways, there is a method behind the madness...most of the time. Sometimes there is just madness...:boxed:

Last edited:

Ian

Reaction score
Took the Libby out to Elbe WA for a day off road. It did very well and took me everywhere I wanted to go, with the help of the 9500lb mile marker up front on one occasion, which you can guess which occasion in the pics. :confused:

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ian

Reaction score
Took the Libby out to Elbe WA for a day off road. It did very well and took me everywhere I wanted to go, with the help of the 9500lb mile marker up front on one occasion, which you can guess which occasion in the pics. :confused:

Ian

Reaction score
No, that was the bypass. I was trying to ride the high side to stay out of the ruts that I was sure to bottom out in. That is one tire in the rut. Back tire is almost 3' off the ground. There was a lot of s**t talk by the bronco guys when we first got there, but that ended very shorty after the trail head.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I double checked the torque of my UBJ. It's correct.
Which means that the ball joint is shot. Boot is fine, UCA isn't even starting to rust yet.
WTF? The ball joint didn't even last 3 years and 30k???:icon_mad:

So now I have a vehicle that I can't really drive again...

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
My KJ seems to do the same thing at times... have a bunch of things go bad at once, but then I'm usually good to go for awhile. Sorry to hear. :(

Installed the front axle components yesterday - front diff, CV's, pair of new bearings... and discovered that it needs new tie rod ends too.

Hopefully in the next couple of weekends (Ma Nature, pending), we'll get the t-case and transmission in there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just drove it, another 625-650 mile trip.
Lots of very muddy back roads to run on instead of all the snow at home.
Now to take 2 days and clean it up !!

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carefully filled the tank today and cleaned the windows, also found out my KJ has been to Europe where it was originally sold first and from the looks used by an Armed Forces Service Member. So now my KJ is more valuable to me than before.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my RI D2 LED's today,kc 7409 lite bar is backordered.
Got to wait for spring to sprung anyways :yawn:

Gyro

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up my RI D2 LED's today,kc 7409 lite bar is backordered.
Got to wait for spring to sprung anyways :yawn:

Gyro

Where are those going? Inquiring minds need to know :icon_smile:
I just took mine off the rear rack and shipped them out to a friend for some test fitting, sure miss them now backing up.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the kc 7409 litebar and then mounted on the front bumper.Like pic
Was going to get some kc dayliters but the led's were only $30 more.
If my measurements are correct should be able to bolt it through the vertical holes just inside the tow hooks.

Just blew a ps hose,res is dry but not much sign of fluid,a little bit on the inner fender,no spray effect anywhere.
Still -15c wind chill so this to can wait till spring or tomorrow which ever comes first.

Gyro

Last edited: