What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drove through the orange grove today. went hawg hunting with my dawgs. not luck there but did find some other tasty critters..

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My day has been made... I "accidentally" set off a car alarm on the way to the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had an electrician tell me years ago that the best way to find a problem is to divide the circuit in half. If you find power at the half way point, divide in half again (3/4) toward the load and so on.... Don't find power at the half way mark divide in half again (1/4) toward the source. Makes electrical trouble shooting very quick and easy.

Alan

works great for tracing a hull ground

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had to lock it in to get out of the driveway today, between 9 inches of snow, and drifts of over two and a half foot it was fun, for 100 foot anyways !
Rear gears boxed ( to USPS Specs) and shipped to Colorado, someones going to get a present on Saturday :icon_razz:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise Control parts arrived, so Sunday cruise will be installed, hopefully if the weather is in the 60's I will throw in the wheel hubs and the front plate cover and bracket as well. Passenger side Cat and DS O2 Sensor replaced. Jeep is much quieter and smoother riding, I kind of miss the burbly roughness when I bought it back in December it had to it. Only other thing after this stuff is new tires then the Jeep is primed for my tastes.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday he went for an oil change, also swapped the driver door check strap and had a annual check-up done. After 8 years on the road and 150 000km on the clock...still nothing to fix :D only small soon to come maintenance like powersteering hose and parking brake cable. Damn I love this truck!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Attended a local meet and greet... where Aaron locked my keys in the KJ.

Fortunately, one of the others had a lockout kit. :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What, like a slim-jim?

(My current lockout kit is a big rock from the side of the road.) :mfr_omg:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Ha! Nice job! :icon_mrgreen:

Nice roof basket - it looks familiar. :peace:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished, painted, and mounted my home built roof rails, roof basket, and jerry can mounts. Roof rails shown are Phase 1. Phase 2 is a second set of lateral rails that come from the front (near the windshield), curve back to intersect the rear rails about half way up (sort of an Xterra look) and then a cross-bar (for off-road light mounts) connecting the Phase 2 rails (parallel to the windshield).

Rear rails are set approx. 2.0"-3.0" higher than stock (overall roof-to-rail gap is 4.0"-4.5"), so I can get my hand and/or a wash brush under the basket. That drove me nuts all last summer when I was washing the KJ. They are also vertical (if not a little bit canted outward at the top). This gave me a little wider area in which to mount the basket. They are still wider in the rear than in the front, but that is unavoidable (unless you want some freaky looking roof rails).

Sorry if I am not painting the picture very well. But I got to thinking what a waste it was not to utilize the area above the sunroof as an area for a secondary roof basket (just in case). After all, it's not a convertible.

The rear roof basket is welded to the rear lateral roof rails (eliminating the need for cross-bars) and the basket I will use for the front will rest on the front lateral rails (here I will use clamps).

Last edited:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nicely done. What weight is the roof allowed/able to take?

First of all, thank you.

Second, my understanding from previous posts is:

Stock rails max out at 150-200lbs-driving load

I figure my 1.5"x.120" rails could handle 600lbs, but I use that as the max "static" load (in case you wanted to mount a roof-top tent). The basket is rated at 500lbs, but due to change in center of gravity (because of loading, size of lift, etc.) I try to keep the load on the roof rails under 300lbs driving load.

I had my KJ loaded down last archery season and then weighed her (at a closed weigh station) on my way out and then compared that to "empty" weight after I got back and the difference was approx. 500lbs. I did have all coolers and heavier items inside the passenger compartment, so I would guess the rails (stock at the time) were taking on close to 200lbs.

FYI-I am also towing a 1000lb tent-trailer, so average speed is 55mph (to help increase MPG (17mpg towing) and to decrease potential "Oh S@#t" moments).

I made new roof rails not to increase my payload (necessarily), but to reduce the chance of the rails breaking in transit. The stock ones (while doing the job) never gave me much confidence that they would hold up in an extreme situation.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice rack KJmurf.
Would it have better to mount the gas cans parallel to the Jeep rather than sideways? I would think that would be less drag and stress while driving. Ir is it a matter of easier access with them mounted like you have them?

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that too but assumed from the previous post that he's planning on having coolers, etc. stacked in front of them?

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that's a sexy roof rack! Propably the best I've seen!

Finished, painted, and mounted my home built roof rails, roof basket, and jerry can mounts. Roof rails shown are Phase 1. Phase 2 is a second set of lateral rails that come from the front (near the windshield), curve back to intersect the rear rails about half way up (sort of an Xterra look) and then a cross-bar (for off-road light mounts) connecting the Phase 2 rails (parallel to the windshield).

Rear rails are set approx. 2.0"-3.0" higher than stock (overall roof-to-rail gap is 4.0"-4.5"), so I can get my hand and/or a wash brush under the basket. That drove me nuts all last summer when I was washing the KJ. They are also vertical (if not a little bit canted outward at the top). This gave me a little wider area in which to mount the basket. They are still wider in the rear than in the front, but that is unavoidable (unless you want some freaky looking roof rails).

Sorry if I am not painting the picture very well. But I got to thinking what a waste it was not to utilize the area above the sunroof as an area for a secondary roof basket (just in case). After all, it's not a convertible.

The rear roof basket is welded to the rear lateral roof rails (eliminating the need for cross-bars) and the basket I will use for the front will rest on the front lateral rails (here I will use clamps).

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tracked down the "clunk" up front

Bad UBJ on passenger side. The damn thing is less than 2 years old!!!:mad3: