What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine back to the mechanic to see if he can figure out the CEL issue. Idles rough in gear, otherwise runs great!

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am late to the party...

Last week-Finished fab of rocksliders/$120 total-(sorry, I am not paying retail...I understand their time is valuable, but that's the one thing I can spare)

Yesterday-Removed rear sway bar, "neutered" drive shaft and installed AEM CAI that I got off Craigslist. Forgot, I also rotated tires and re-trained TPMS.

Last edited:

WICKED KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotated the tars and replaced the front passenger door handle. you anyone here has to do this, let me know. that crap is hard as hell to do with huge sausage digits. I had to replace it due to cold weather and brittle plastic.

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retrained TPMS?

After tire rotation if you do not "re-train" the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), using the overhead console computer and donut-looking magnet that comes with the jack under the back seat, the tire pressure indicated on the overhead console will not correspond with the correct tire.

The overhead console might look like this: (roughly)
TIRE 38 38
PSI 25 38

In the above example, the TPMS indicates that the left rear tire is low, but if you did not re-train the system after the last tire rotation, the actual low tire is the right front tire. (Since that is where the left rear tire came from during the tire rotation). Hope that is helpful, KJScott.

I had this exact thing happen during elk archery season last summer. It was dark and I kept looking at the left rear tire and did not figure it out until the psi got to 8, and it turned out to be the right front tire...luckily I had the spare. I also carry a 12volt -150 psi compressor and tire plug kit...which I used to fix the tire at camp (in case I needed a spare, which I did later in the hunt). Two flats on one hunting trip...damn shale rock.

My last name is Murphy...I have a whole "law" named after me, so I go in woods over prepared and believe me I catch a ration of s#@t for it, too. But, whenever one of my buddies is in need of something (either on the trail or at camp), guess who they come to, to save their a$$?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be taking the KJ in tomorrow to have the rear lower control arm recall and slow leak taken care of from the rear left tire.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...My last name is Murphy...I have a whole "law" named after me, so I go in woods over prepared and believe me I catch a ration of s#@t for it, too...
I just read a brief article last night saying that the motto for off-roaders shouldn't be "Be Prepared", but rather "Don't embarrass yourself". The point was that too many people head off into the wilderness without the stuff they need to deal with it, then have to have others save their bacon.

...But, whenever one of my buddies is in need of something (either on the trail or at camp), guess who they come to, to save their a$$?
No offense to your friends, but next time tell them that you feel like the dad who has to come and fix their kid's boo-boo when they get in over their head. :signs6:

You can't plan for everything, but none of us should want to be the pitiful soul crying "help me..." because they forgot something basic. Of course, I am now guaranteed to do just that the next time I go camping or whatever. Drat you, Murphy! (The law, not you.) :rotflmao:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did to my Jeep today...

Changed the spark plugs.

Bought my 04' KJ Limited last February with approx. 90,000 miles (98,700 miles now). So, part of the 90,000 mile maintenance is spark plug replacement. I had a sneaky suspicion that it had not been done when it was on the lot at the dealership...and I was right. It looks like they had never been replaced. The plugs looked horrible...rusted at the base and the gapping was at least .050. (see pic) I couldn't believe the Lib was running as well as she was with those plugs in her. Anyway, all better now...I am hoping to see some improvement in MPG's. Not that I get crappy mileage now (16/21), but every little bit helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. I've seen people use better looking plugs than those for fishing sinkers. :mfr_omg:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 04' KJ Limited last February with approx. 90,000 miles (98,700 miles now). So, part of the 90,000 mile maintenance is spark plug replacement. I had a sneaky suspicion that it had not been done when it was on the lot at the dealership...and I was right. It looks like they had never been replaced.

The fact they are Autolite plugs and not the factory Mopar #SPZFR6F11G, says they have been changed.....once upon a time. I've seen worse, at least the prongs were still in tact! ;)

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact they are Autolite plugs and not the factory Mopar #SPZFR6F11G, says they have been changed.....once upon a time. I've seen worse, at least the prongs were still in tact! ;)

Yes...you are correct sir.

I am assuming (oh-oh) that it might have been at the 30,000 mile maintenance.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the KJ back up and running,no more vacuum leak with a new PCV valve and hose to intake(that cracked).Also UPS dropped off my new Vision X Cannon's,man those suckers are bright,make the 50w KC HID's that they are replacing look like a '50's EveryReady flashlight with half dead batteries.

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also get to replace the PCV valve, since I snapped it off trying to take it out to check it. :bs:

Last edited:

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I also get to replace the PCV valve, since I snapped it off trying to take it out to check it. :bs:

I've snapped a few myself. Strange design but effective except if you get the condensate froth from too many short trips in cold weather.

I haven't done anything yet today but got to do some unexpected offroading with the debris from the storms. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Up over and around lots of stuff. Can't wait for my lift but still no trouble and on crappy tires. Hardly even needed 4wd. Almost three days without electricity/water/heat kinda ***** but its back on now. :Insane:

Makes you appreciate the little things.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did that too so now I keep a spare in the toolbox. Ever since I started keeping a spare I never broke another one. Go figure.

Dave

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I did that too so now I keep a spare in the toolbox. Ever since I started keeping a spare I never broke another one. Go figure.

It seems to be a universal law that the chances of needing something are inversely proportional to its availability. :Stupid Me: