What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the water pump (and a gallon or so of coolant). Lost heat for a while, seems to be back.

Next project: valve cover gaskets

jcollinsia

Reaction score
Changed the front wheel hub assembly on both side and changed the spark plugs. Turns out the old plugs were gapped to .080 instead of .04

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Changed the front wheel hub assembly on both side and changed the spark plugs. Turns out the old plugs were gapped to .080 instead of .04
:Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:.80 yikes
should run a lot better now, must of been a while since they were changed.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
When I got mine with 80k on it I'd guess the plugs were never changed. There wasn't much of ground electrode left at all. Burned all the way back to the bend. Surprised it would run at all.:icon_exclaim:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, didn't do this TO my Jeep - did this WITH my Jeep over the weekend. Just got back tonight...

My son is a very talented bass guitarist and has a friend in a prominent Christian band in Nashville. So being the responsible kid he is he got a good job at a large healthcare company in Nashville in software programming and will also pursue his dream to play bass in a band or as a studio musician in Nashville, with maybe an introduction to the right people from his buddy. So, we rented a 6X12 U-Haul trailer, folded down the back seats and loaded up with all his stuff. For the record, bass guitar amps and cabinets are HEAVY - and so are galvanized steel U-Haul trailers - so the KJ had it's work cut out for it. The hills of Kentucky and Tennessee meant I had the OD turned off quite a bit, but the Jeep did it's job admirably :waytogo:

Just a touch under 1100 miles, averaged 15.5 MPG running no faster than 70mph (mostly 65) with crappy winter blend gas. Did bump up to mid-grade and that seemed to help the pep, plus I noticed if I kept the RPM's at 2300 or higher the engine was right in the sweet spot of the torque band.

Loaded up and heading to Music City (damn, I'm gonna miss him :icon_cry: )

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice! Fun trip for sure...towed a trailer just like that from FL to WI with similar stuff in it haha. Same deal with the LR3. But the KJ handled it really well, I didn't even turn OD off.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the Jeep ''Hiccuped" this morning and threw a ''stored code'' for the Throttle Position Sensor. So I got two lights instead of the standard check engine. I thought the second light was for electrical and the alternator dropped. Its the light for the Electronic Throttle Control. Had the code cleared the lights haven't returned, thinking some water in the fuel line hit the cylinders caused the Hiccup and threw the codes.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, didn't do this TO my Jeep - did this WITH my Jeep over the weekend. Just got back tonight...

My son is a very talented bass guitarist and has a friend in a prominent Christian band in Nashville. So being the responsible kid he is he got a good job at a large healthcare company in Nashville in software programming and will also pursue his dream to play bass in a band or as a studio musician in Nashville, with maybe an introduction to the right people from his buddy. So, we rented a 6X12 U-Haul trailer, folded down the back seats and loaded up with all his stuff. For the record, bass guitar amps and cabinets are HEAVY - and so are galvanized steel U-Haul trailers - so the KJ had it's work cut out for it. The hills of Kentucky and Tennessee meant I had the OD turned off quite a bit, but the Jeep did it's job admirably :waytogo:

Just a touch under 1100 miles, averaged 15.5 MPG running no faster than 70mph (mostly 65) with crappy winter blend gas. Did bump up to mid-grade and that seemed to help the pep, plus I noticed if I kept the RPM's at 2300 or higher the engine was right in the sweet spot of the torque band.

Loaded up and heading to Music City (damn, I'm gonna miss him :icon_cry: )

Bob

Aren't you glad you had the 4.10s in
Wonder what your mileage would of been with stock gearing
Good luck to your son on his new ventures

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that I get 16.7mpg towing 5800# (est, 10,000# gross measured) with mine, and that's with the stock 3.55 gears. moment plays are your friend.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've actually been keeping mine out of the nasty stuff lately, and beating up the car instead. Jeep doesn't actually play well in the snow for some reason. thinking it's the tires are sucky. I really need to replace them but I'm a cheap bastard and want to wear these out first.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never worn a set of tires out on the KJ, run them , get tired of them or they didn't meet my expectations and away they go! Can't stand not to have good tires on a vehicle.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If experience is any indicator, ~15mpg doing no faster then 90 Km/h (50.5mph) with no hope in hell of finding 4th ever. That and adding 4 more hours. If i had to push 65 mph in 3rd I couldn't even speculate how bad it would be, rpm calc i made says 2675 rpm.

I find when mine sits at 2400 rpm at that speed, the hills i hit are no real issue, has lots of power at rpms above 2200. Below 2000 it falls on its face.

Still think 4.56 on 245 75 16 would be worth doing till it falls off above 70 mph.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally ordered the PCV valve hose that split on me 2 weeks ago from extreme cold,new PCV valve going in also when the hose arrives Thursday.Also bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Vision X's Cannon spots to replace my KC 50w HID spots and ordered some Outerwears for my air filter(water resistant ones) in my KJ and Town Car.

So when it warms up and I feel ambitious you will see some KC HID's for sale,with ballasts and 3 sets of covers but no relay or switch,for a good price.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my Ms. Libby today! She has umph, and is running smoothly EXCEPT while stopped at idle in gear. She has a little miss then. Check engine light came on and took it in for a code read. It was P0303. #3 cylinder not firing. Back to the dealer tomorrow with her. They are so tired of seeing me.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh believe me, I thought about what it would've been like with the stock gears. Pretty sure it wouldn't have been much fun! :driver:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thought I wold see how far mine could go in the snow this morning
You must be registered for see images attach

:laughing1:

Members online

No members online now.