What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
When I switched to Mobil-1 when my engine hit about 100K, it completely eliminated the tick/tapping sound the 3.7 typically had at startup. That tapping noise comes back by about 3000 miles or so, but by then I am ready to change the oil again. It runs the best on Mobil-1.
That it does if I’m feeling good I get the extended performance for whatever that’s worth. This is the second oil change I did on the Jeep I even bleed the coolant and the torque response is there

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the same oil and filter. On my last change, I added some of the new Lucas low viscosity additive. It ran with less ticking, but the knock, of course, is there to stay. I just pretend I’m back in my old Cherokees and pretend the knock is harmless.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
y'all need to send samples to Blackstone Labs, to see the health of things. I'll bet you'll even be able to take those 3-4k changes all the way to 6k, even with your driving habits.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
y'all need to send samples to Blackstone Labs, to see the health of things. I'll bet you'll even be able to take those 3-4k changes all the way to 6k, even with your driving habits.
I have used them in the past, not sure why I haven’t with this engine. Probably should!! The oil that came out today was pretty dark though. I’ll keep it in mind for next time. I even have a couple of their kits on my shelf.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with modern oils, i've been told color isn't as useful an indicator as it used to be. perfectly serviceable oil can get pretty dark.

pretty much every time I've bought a used car, it gets full fluid service unless there's records saying it's not needed, and samples of engine and trans fluid go to Blackstone Labs.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Did the easiest oil change ever! So much room to work under there right now. I'd be silly not to replace the engine mounts while I've got her opened up like this. Also cleaned and prepared diff mounts with the creative steel poly bushings. Oh yeah shifted the engine/ suspension cradle/subframe a little. The front right cam bolt was maxed to one side and the front left was almost maxed to the same side. So I shifted the front to hopefully keep the cam bolts more centered allowing for better alignment. More cleaning and rust treatment while I wait on engine mounts coming up next.

Attachments

• 20221008_160814.jpg
    20221008_160814.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Met a possible new co-pilot last week. (Bert survived the ex's mudding trip- it's so dry here there was no mud to be found and they didn't drive the river) Took her out for a bit of trail time and some BBQ last night.
"Can I drive for a bit?"
"Sure!"
A dozen or so miles later tackling some serious farm equipment ruts:
"Wow. Still can't believe this Liberty does what my Wrangler used to."
"Yep. Waaaay cheaper too. Not really a rock climber, but she is 'desert proven' and handles just about everything else well."
"Drives like a car, crawls like a tank."
"Yep."
"This tiny wheelbase is super handy."
"Yep."
"Can't wait to join you two on a backcountry trip."

Whoa! Apparently, Bert can now add "chick magnet" to her list of applications.
o_O

Rasfetch

Reaction score
Oh damn ,well I see 2 kjs on the highway all the time a black one and a white one I thought was yours..I'm hitting buckhorn creek tomorow and Prescott senator hwy to crown king on the 29th,if you're interested
I've been wanting to do the Prescott Senator hwy to Crown King, but I'll be out in the Sierra Anchas that weekend scouting for elk hunting. Appreciate the invite though!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Met a possible new co-pilot last week. (Bert survived the ex's mudding trip- it's so dry here there was no mud to be found and they didn't drive the river) Took her out for a bit of trail time and some BBQ last night.
"Can I drive for a bit?"
"Sure!"
A dozen or so miles later tackling some serious farm equipment ruts:
"Wow. Still can't believe this Liberty does what my Wrangler used to."
"Yep. Waaaay cheaper too. Not really a rock climber, but she is 'desert proven' and handles just about everything else well."
"Drives like a car, crawls like a tank."
"Yep."
"This tiny wheelbase is super handy."
"Yep."
"Can't wait to join you two on a backcountry trip."

Whoa! Apparently, Bert can now add "chick magnet" to her list of applications.
o_O
Your correct response to her last was "one tent, or two?" :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Almost done with making a custom Amber follow light
FOLLOW LIGHTs ?
Never heard them called that and been running lights in every 4x4 since 1973
3 KJs now with all 3having " follow lights " in the top portion of the grill

Anyone else ever heard them called that ? Just curious

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Your correct response to her last was "one tent, or two?" :D
Or as two sisters that lived close to me quite a few years said
"What a big tent you have, That's large enough for a 3 of us "
and it was come to find out LOL

So Johnny O should of told her , Yes I have a big tent and next weekend we're trying it out , right ?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
FOLLOW LIGHTs ?
Never heard them called that and been running lights in every 4x4 since 1973
3 KJs now with all 3having " follow lights " in the top portion of the grill

Anyone else ever heard them called that ? Just curious
Never heard that particular term before. However my Da called them "chasers"

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score

Almost done with making a custom Amber follow light
Nice! I've been looking for amber flashers for both ends of Bert. I make frequent stops while doing field work.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Amber I met was a redhead, and shit totally fit the stereotype. The fact I made it out of that short term relationship with all my bits still attached is truly the 8th wonder of the world. She was FUN though. :D