What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what my friend the maintenance guy did:

The red lines show the gaps between the horizontal 2x4's, the blue lines the location of the vertical 2x4, and the yellow where he ran the bolts through.

You must be registered for see images

He didn't go for the huge planks like the one in your picture shows (though I guess it might be plywood), but used 2x4's instead with some 2x4 risers in the middle of each side as upright braces. He bolted the whole works together in no time at all. I was out walking my dogs and watched the process after he had the wood cut and was assembling it. It took the dogs about as long to find "Just the right spot to go" as it did for him to drill the holes and bolt it up.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I think it used to be plywood :D

I was thinking of bolting or having someone weld angle iron around the top from post to post to kind of finish it off.

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just have someone take a pic at dinner so we can all drool, the words daisy dukes remind me of the transformers 3 blonde chic "how you doin"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Parked mine for a couple of days after a 500 plus mile run east
Now riding in a 6 inch lifted KJ with 33s
Ride is great , handles great what else do ya need ?? :peace:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scouted out a potential mate for my KJ (haven't seen it in person yet). Admittedly it needs a lot of love ... but I'm leaning towards picking it up.

HELP :) ... does anything you see set off any red flags? I mean assuming nothing is actually held togetherby that peice of twine :happy175: I figure anybody who is going to use this photo, is not really trying to hide anything.

Double leaf springs, 15" tires, claims 1 ton of gravel = no problem :)

You must be registered for see images attach

One ton is 2000 lbs. don't know what that is Canadian;). Not really a lot . Tires /rims might be a problem to replace some older sizes no longer available. Don't forget a spare tire, can't tell if its got safety chains but those and a good coupler too.
I used treated deck boards tongue and grove then after dropping a log and smashing a hole I went over those boards with 3/4 treated plywood. My frame is now rusting away:).
But I did make a new kayak hauler this year
You must be registered for see images

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it to North Carolina and back for a concert. Amazing how much better the roads and the overall driving experience improved when I crossed the border in to North Carolina.:driver: Virginia can suck it! Oh and got 20 mpg there and back!:pepper::headbang:

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listened to a new, sort of clacking noise, only when idling or just off idle - goes away under any more throttle. It's somewhere at the back of the motor, but cannot identify where. even with the stethoscope. Not under either valve cover, not under the plastic cover, not the water pump or tensioner, not the AC compressor, not the throttle body but sounds loudest about there.

I mean, really?

And, just like that, it's gone. Went away last night (was there when I started her up, but was gone when we left to come home) and hasn't come back.

We drove it about an hour to pick up the kid from outdoor camp. Still gone.

Fingers crossed ;)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Ha .. I just drove 4 hrs to pick up my daughter from her summer camp (job) this morning.

Got the thumbs up twice from a very clean, very lifted XJ with an awesome flat green paint job and a lifted JKU.

Glad your noise went away ... it's really just sass talk ... I'm tellin' you they are not just inanimate objects, them KJ's :D You must have done something he didn't like :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I scouted out a potential mate for my KJ (haven't seen it in person yet). Admittedly it needs a lot of love ... but I'm leaning towards picking it up.

HELP :) ... does anything you see set off any red flags? I mean assuming nothing is actually held togetherby that peice of twine :happy175: I figure anybody who is going to use this photo, is not really trying to hide anything.

Double leaf springs, 15" tires, claims 1 ton of gravel = no problem :)

You'll have more tied up into getting it road worthy than what you can build a new one for. Old straight axle, springs rusted and in poor condition, shackles more than likely rusted solid, no hocks so will bounce around quite a bit, depending on how it was taken care of will need wheel bearings most then likely and tires, older wheels will need tubes in them, unless you buy new wheels . Build one yourself it will suit your needs better

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Ya.. I passed .. he only wanted $250 but welds were kinda rusty and pitted. He didn't want to give me a receipt ... which means I have to declare that I made it (in order to register it) No Thanks.

I just want something that looks like it might actually belong behind my Jeep. I can't rock one of those teeny wheeled cute-ute trailers:D

TheGateII

Reaction score
To eat or not to eat

Received my new sway bar bushings today but, decided to make a smoked brisket instead :pepper::flamingdevil:

bushings after 1 hour in the house

Brisket after 5 hours in the smoking BBQ

:mexsmoke:

Yep, bushings gona wait. Weather is too nice out there. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha .. I just drove 4 hrs to pick up my daughter from her summer camp (job) this morning.

Got the thumbs up twice from a very clean, very lifted XJ with an awesome flat green paint job and a lifted JKU.

Glad your noise went away ... it's really just sass talk ... I'm tellin' you they are not just inanimate objects, them KJ's :D You must have done something he didn't like :happy175:

We're hoping she gets a job there next summer. The bf has know the owner since he was 5 - when the guy bought the camp and the bf's dad fixed his stuff.

I didn't do it - the noise started after the bf drove him. I'm telling ya, I don't like him driving my vehicles.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Brisket after 5 hours in the smoking BBQ...
What time should I be there? :worthy:

Ya.. I passed .. he only wanted $250 but welds were kinda rusty and pitted. He didn't want to give me a receipt ... which means I have to declare that I made it (in order to register it) No Thanks.

I just want something that looks like it might actually belong behind my Jeep. I can't rock one of those teeny wheeled cute-ute trailers:D
I saw my friend with the semi-homemade wood trailer. He said the same thing Tom did - build your own. Once he did all the wood re-working he realized that the undercarriage was the weak link in the chain.

He also mentioned the bearings, etc, as being potential drawbacks. (Not that he could tell from the picture, just that it's a common problem which will run you into big money if they are on their last legs.) :favorites13:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not on the KJ but on the WK I took the AVS vent shades off. And washed it/waxed the tops of the doors.
Before:

After:

Latest posts

Members online