What are people using for brighter headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok im looking at new brighter head light bulbs, Halogen lamps only please. LED and HID in stock assemblies have way too much scatter, blind people and have sub par range(mainly LED's there)

I use Silvania silverstars all the time, but what else are people using. Going to mainly city driving, but I do like to wake up early and do some ice fishing from time to time...... 4am going up the Coq can get sketchy ;)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in GE Nighthawks. They claim 50% more light.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+50% is history now, both Phillips & Osram's latest offerings are +200%
Thats fine. More watts is also more current. I'm not ready to do relays yet, and I have my reservations about pushing chrysler wiring too far.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Philips Vision Plus.

Ive had these in my KJ for many years, probably around 10. Also have them in one of my ZJ's, Im happy with them.

I wonder if adding a headlight harness would help. The KJ uses relays for the headlights unlike my ZJ's that run the current inside through the headlight switch, but Im sure the KJ has small wiring.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use LED and they have exactly the same beam pattern as OEM (only they have far more light). You just have to purchase good LED bulbs, not cheap Chinese...

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut and polish the headlights too, mine need it every year. I keep meaning to get them lacquered, suppose to be a permanent cure to the yellowing.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Cut and polish the headlights too, mine need it every year. I keep meaning to get them lacquered, suppose to be a permanent cure to the yellowing.
Deep woods off applications when you wash your ride will remove the oxidization an the yellowing with way less work.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Thats fine. More watts is also more current. I'm not ready to do relays yet, and I have my reservations about pushing chrysler wiring too far.
Yes but it's not more watts (those days of 80, 90, 100 even 130w bulbs have long gone - although there are still some around) they're still only draw 55/60w, just used more efficiently/effectively.

According to JeepJeepster (@ #11) there are already relays but that wiring is pathetic, so under-spec'd I'm surprised it's not a fire hazard. I think the trigger wires on most of my additional relays are heavier than in the factory KJ headlight harness.

Phillips Vision Plus are +60% & probably as good as they got in their day, long since overtaken by later developments but still available: likely now considered a budget upgrade.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Deb'nKJ honestly, I'm happy with what I put in. Some other drivers aren't happy with them, and flash me (they're aimed properly too.)

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Deb'nKJ honestly, I'm happy with what I put in. Some other drivers aren't happy with them, and flash me (they're aimed properly too.)
That's a major problem with them, here you'll fail the annual inspection with then & attract police attention at night + they are awful for other drivers.