Brighter Lights for Dark Sky Ordinances in Arizona and Riverside County

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure I PMd you what and where to get your HIDs
I promise if you put those in you'll be done with this constant search for brighter light

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HID's ........ Would also be legal here. Found a very reputable family run shop, but very expensive. Many people are using them, as daily drivers in the City, this is different than what you have back east. Older Jeeps and trucks are replacing halogens with HIDs due to the Arizona and Riverside County imposed "Dark Skies Ordinances."

Thanks !!!

Glad you found something that works better... in the meantime.

Also, still pretty sure that an HID install into your existing headlight housings is a federal violation. Might be legal in Arizona... but like marijuana, doesn't matter if federal law supersedes.

Personally, I don't know or understand why older jeeps and trucks are going to HIDs, especially if the cost is as bad as you say... two 6.5" KC style offroad lights will light up 500ft of road with tons of light.. all for about $100.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two 6.5" KC style offroad lights will light up 500ft of road with tons of light.. all for about $100.

Have you seen all of their newer products?
LED and HID technology- they're INSANELY bright but also VERY expensive
I'm talking over $1k for two 6" HID pods known as their "Daylighters"
They make their 6.5" round halogen lamps look like little flashlights (but they're obviously good still)

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen all of their newer products?
LED and HID technology- they're INSANELY bright but also VERY expensive
I'm talking over $1k for two 6" HID pods known as their "Daylighters"
They make their 6.5" round halogen lamps look like little flashlights (but they're obviously good still)

I don't doubt that... they'd basically be HID or LED searchlights strapped to the front of your truck.

You could easily go with any brand, I just used KC as a "style" reference.

Even still, a pair of 100w round offroad lights will be light-years ahead of the basic headlights and driving lamps on the KJ.

Here's a pair of Auxbeam LED, $180: https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Driving-8000lm-Offroad-lighting/dp/B01EHKPW6K?th=1

Go old school with KC HiLights... 6", 130w each... these would also fix the OP's issue for $120:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007O8S58/?tag=top10perfec05-20

Even these 55w Hella's at only $55 would be better than what the OP has now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TWD5GY/?tag=top10perfec05-20

Could easily attach any of those to the OP's brush guard, probably in an hour or less; save up some cash and if the OP wanted to, retrofit some HIDs like you have jeeplib05, and do that down the road.

Options, it's good to have them. :icon_razz:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt that... they'd basically be HID or LED searchlights strapped to the front of your truck.

You could easily go with any brand, I just used KC as a "style" reference.

Even still, a pair of 100w round offroad lights will be light-years ahead of the basic headlights and driving lamps on the KJ.

Here's a pair of Auxbeam LED, $180: https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Driving-8000lm-Offroad-lighting/dp/B01EHKPW6K?th=1

Go old school with KC HiLights... 6", 130w each... these would also fix the OP's issue for $120:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007O8S58/?tag=top10perfec05-20

Even these 55w Hella's at only $55 would be better than what the OP has now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TWD5GY/?tag=top10perfec05-20

Could easily attach any of those to the OP's brush guard, probably in an hour or less; save up some cash and if the OP wanted to, retrofit some HIDs like you have jeeplib05, and do that down the road.

Options, it's good to have them. :icon_razz:

Auxbeam has been my favorite company to buy lights from
Their products are great and every one of them for a great price as well
I got their 24" 5D light bar and 42" curved 4D light bar all for under $300 and they're built amazingly and are very bright
Also have a set of their LED fogs and they mounted perfectly and look great (my KJ didn't comes with fogs)
Never had an issue with moisture, even if I did they come with the military grade breather to dissipate it
I've been thinking of getting reverse lights from them but not sure where to mount them as I'm not getting a roof rack or anything

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auxbeam has been my favorite company to buy lights from
Their products are great and every one of them for a great price as well
I got their 24" 5D light bar and 42" curved 4D light bar all for under $300 and they're built amazingly and are very bright
Also have a set of their LED fogs and they mounted perfectly and look great (my KJ didn't comes with fogs)
Never had an issue with moisture, even if I did they comes with the military grade breather to dissipate it
I've been thinking of getting reverse lights from them but not sure where to mount them as I'm not getting a roof rack or anything

I'd mount the reverse lights either frenched into the rear bumper, on either side.. or if you dont want to cut holes in your plastic bumper cover, you could mount one above the spare tire, like how the Wranglers have the high-mount stoplight. Just one single, uber bright backup light in the middle ... that ought to work too.

So, yeah.. I think we are in agreement, for well under $200, or if money is tight, under $60, the OP could fix the problem and put sufficient lighting out front on the road.

Plus it'd look pretty cool too.

003Liberty

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I PMd you what and where to get your HIDs
I promise if you put those in you'll be done with this constant search for brighter light

Thanks and yes you did ! This company in Phoenix, below, is a heritage business to the area that does installs of everything electronic, and was very concerned about "mail order HID lights in general," claiming that the ballasts go out. End the constant search? Forgive me, or laugh at me, for my science degree, so I'm over-analytical :signs75: :happy175:

Main question below is what if a ballast goes out in the dark, and the nearest OReillys is not going to have it????? I had a regular headlight go out in Fort Mojave, AZ in the dark, that's in the middle of nowhere, but there was an Oreillys right there - STILL OPEN ! :grd:

The PHOENIX HID place charges a lot more for what they think is a superior product, which they install, and also place a warranty on it (I think for one year).

Here's their web site and specifically a really nice page showing the brightnesses and colors of various lights - They are, the only web site, that has anything like this. Very impressive !

Lighting Comparison | StreetFighter Motorsports

Since the ballasts can go out, can someone just buy an extra light, or, an extra ballast, in case that ever happens?

What if you are left stranded in the dark with a headlight out? How simple is it to change the wiring - temporarily - to a standard halogen light to use temporarily?

Also, I read horrible reviews on Amazon of LED lights (9007 which fits the Jeep Liberty) - Not the one below, but ones like it -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZ9ASA...lid=3Q3JILFDVOKRQ&coliid=I3FGWCIL8W1J1C&psc=1

Also the NAPA fake Xenon 3Kelvin Street Glow lights do not come in 80W so that idea is out.

So I guess the main thing is a ballast "going out" in the middle of nowhere . . . What do you do? Thanks .....

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's pretty unlikely for one to go out, but I guess anything could happen
I've had HIDs from one company for around 3 1/2 years total now (my old vehicle and now the KJ) and have never had either go out
To change the bulb is pretty easy, depending on how small your hand is to get behind the headlight housing and change out the bulb
Obviously the easiest way to change any bulb in the KJ is to remove the grill and headlight housing, which in that case makes the HID bulb change very easy
HIDs are plug and play, so the bulb (for our KJs, 9007) has the 9007 connector and I believe three others which connect to the ballast
But again, they are all right there behind your housing so very easy to swap out