Uniroyal Liberator Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased 4 Uniroyal Liberator/AT tires for my Liberty. I finally dumped the stock Goodyears, and right away I noticed that my steering wheel shake at 70mph is gone. My Jeep dealer told me the stock Goodyear's were almost impossible to balance, and when I got around to changing to another tire I'd notice a world of difference. I'm really impressed with the P235 70 16's that Uniroyal makes. Any other people out here have any comments on Uniroyal??? I had Uniroyal tires before on a previous car and they lasted a long time.....Glad I switched, and the price was definitely right.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you, is there any reason why you only bought 4 tires? Do you not rotate in your spare at all?

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope sure don't

no I don't rotate my spare, and seeing as I wanted to get rid of my stock Goodyears anyway, it didn't make much sense to do so. I know you're gonna say that it extends their life, but for me, that's not really an issue, especially when I don't like the tires. I also see the spare only as an emergency "short" term replacement, not as a tire that is going to be on the car for any length of time.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: nope sure don't

lightfoot44 said:
no I don't rotate my spare, and seeing as I wanted to get rid of my stock Goodyears anyway, it didn't make much sense to do so. I know you're gonna say that it extends their life, but for me, that's not really an issue, especially when I don't like the tires. I also see the spare only as an emergency "short" term replacement, not as a tire that is going to be on the car for any length of time.

i guess we just see it different, i see it that if you are going to buy tires you like, why not get 5 and rotate in the 5th tire, its no different then any of the other wheels.

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotating the spare

I wasn't sure I would like Uniroyal, and keeping one dud Goodyear tire that I don't intend to use isn't that big of a deal....so yeah, I guess we see it differently, but that's ok, seeing as variety is the spice of life.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same uniroyal liberators in a 265/75R16 on a 4x4 ford ranger that I traded for my Liberty. I loved em, great off road and showed very little wear after about 15000 miles. My only complaint was the same that was said about the goodyears....I had trouble keeping them balanced correctly. But, overall, I would definately buy them again.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotating your spare also meens you have to buy a 5th tire when you need them, for some the gained life isn't worth the extra cost depending on the tire you buy. But to each his own. (argue)

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spare tires

It's all how you look at things I guess. I just figure that the spare is the spare, and if not used is always there in great condition, as long as you check the pressure in it once in awhile. Why bother with rotating an extra tire, and then as you said, having to buy the extra tire at replacement time. It's just not worth it to me.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes but when you rotate in that 5th wheel, it makes tire life extend, and also assures that the spare will have the same amount of wear on it that the rest of the tires have. yes you would have to buy 5 tires. But if you only bought four and then drove for lets say 35,000 miles and had a flat and you had to put on the spare which is brand new, depending on the road conditions and what not, the transfer case might not be to happy about that.

Believe me i understand both sides of the situation here, the person that owned my liberty before me never rotated in that 5th wheel, now i want to get rid of the garbage goodyears, and will be buying 5 wheels, because it looks goofy having a mis matched spare. I would rather have a spare that i can trust if i am out in the woods or on a trail, not the crappy stock goodyear if something where to happen.

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spare tires

I understand what you're saying, but in all honesty, tires are so good today that a person doesn't really have to worry about getting flat tires so much. I see the spare tire as available for emergencies only, and would keep it on the vehicle ONLY until I could get a replacement. Also, at the expense of incurring wrath, the only beef I have with the stock Goodyears is the near impossibility of balancing them correctly. Other than that, they wear quite well and seemed to have real good traction in ice and snow. I put 32,000 miles on them and they had at least another 10,000 miles left, but I had to discard them because they didn't have enough tread for winter.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: spare tires

lightfoot44 said:
I understand what you're saying, but in all honesty, tires are so good today that a person doesn't really have to worry about getting flat tires so much.

So your saying that tires dont go flat anymore?

Thats why i have a tire i had to take off my jeep because it would lose air in 2 weeks. People who drive a lot can tell you that flat tires still happen, even when off roading, thats why i think that having a 5th wheel that is just as good is important.

And like i said before having a mismatched spare just looks goofy, expecially if it isnt used at all. just my opinion

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flat tires????

I didn't say flat tires don't happen. I just said, that they don't happen near as frequently as they did 30 plus years ago. Tire technology has really improved alot over the past 20-30 years. It's a rarity for people to get flats today. As for myself, since the spare is just that.....a spare, if it has to be used for an emergency, then so be it. I probably wouldn't care about cosmetics in a situation like that. Then it's off to the tire shop for a replacement and the spare goes back to being a spare.