New to KJ world - Need Help Deciding on a Lift Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettrusler

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here and new to the KJ and Jeep world. My brother just purchased a 2007 KJ and we are super excited, because I will now have someone to trail ride with.
We are looking into lift kits and I'm curious what is the best route? He has a limited budget and would like to get some steelies with maybe 30-31" tires. I don't have an issue trimming, but can this be achieved with a 1.5" or 2" lift? Can these be done without having to get high angle UCAs? Also, any problems with a spacer lift to start or should we at least go with a BDS 2" sus lift kit? Any advise is helpful. Thank you

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood. Spacer lifts are bad for the cv’s up front, springs and shocks are the way to go. Measure from the center of the wheel to the underside of the fender flare, it should be 19”. It’s very likely the springs are tired by now.

We have some good threads on lifts here, search for tommudd ‘s posts, he explains in detail what works, what doesn’t, and why. That’s how I learned to put my lift in last summer. The parts numbers are in my sig. Cost me $1400 for everything with the shipping. Bigger tires will require the pinch weld in the front wheel wells to be pounded flat.

I haven’t upgraded the control arms yet, I hope to do that next summer. Mine sits at 21” all around and the ride is like buttah on pavement or off.

jettrusler

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood. Spacer lifts are bad for the cv’s up front, springs and shocks are the way to go. Measure from the center of the wheel to the underside of the fender flare, it should be 19”. It’s very likely the springs are tired by now.

We have some good threads on lifts here, search for tommudd ‘s posts, he explains in detail what works, what doesn’t, and why. That’s how I learned to put my lift in last summer. The parts numbers are in my sig. Cost me $1400 for everything with the shipping. Bigger tires will require the pinch weld in the front wheel wells to be pounded flat.

I haven’t upgraded the control arms yet, I hope to do that next summer. Mine sits at 21” all around and the ride is like buttah on pavement or off.
Thanks for the info. I went away from the spacer lift, but decided on the BDS lift kit. The next upgrade will be better shocks, the OME ones look great. We will be working on it this weekend.

Reactions: klc

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning - some lifts may need UCA's even if the product says it doesn't. You get to find out after its not align-able.

That was my experience with the TeraFlex budget-boost.

jettrusler

Reaction score
Warning - some lifts may need UCA's even if the product says it doesn't. You get to find out after its not align-able.

That was my experience with the TeraFlex budget-boost.
That looks like a 2.5” lift. I’m hoping and praying a 2” might be just enough to avoid new UCAs for at least the moment. But the next phase will be some OME/bilstein shocks and better uca

Members online

No members online now.