Tried Out 4-LO Today ----- Ugly Sounds !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAttack

Reaction score
I went out to some dirt roads to practice activating the 4-WD since I've never used 4-WD before. 4-HI was no problem, but 4-LO sounds horrible. When I shift into it or out of it there is a terrible thumping sound that just doesn't sound healthy. Is this normal?

I slowed to 2-3mph, depressed the clutch and tried to pull back all the way to 4-LO in one smooth motion, but it sure sounds nasty. Is it supposed to make thumping noises? (Aeh)

(Also.....I got all screwed up and shifted it out of 4-LO while going over 10-mph....it really made a thump then. Do u think I damaged anything?) #-o

The only good thing is that no one was watching-------I would have been embarassed.

MacAttack

Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Was the ****** still in gear? If so that's your noise even though you had the clutch depressed.

Yes. The manual ****** was still in gear. The instructions said to just push down the clutch. Was I supposed to have it in neutral also?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
tjkj2002 said:
Was the ****** still in gear? If so that's your noise even though you had the clutch depressed.

Yes. The manual ****** was still in gear. The instructions said to just push down the clutch. Was I supposed to have it in neutral also?
I believe so. The clutch only disengages the transmission from the engine, but if the gears in the ****** are still spinning then you could have problems engaging 4LO. try it again with the ****** in neutral and see if it helps...

MacAttack

Reaction score
I didn't really have trouble getting it into 4-lo. It just makes an ugly thumping sound when you switch into it and when you switch out of it, and it kind of ****** and jolted around. What should it sound like when you switch to 4-lo? Hope I didn't hurt anything when I mistakenly switched out of it going 12mph. It really made a thump that time.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only says to put it in neutral for an autotmatic, and just to depress the clutch for the manual trans.

Once you were in 4LO, everything sounded fine?

MacAttack

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
It only says to put it in neutral for an autotmatic, and just to depress the clutch for the manual trans.

Yes. Once in 4LO it was like a tractor.
What should it sound like when you are switching to 4LO?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
I didn't really have trouble getting it into 4-lo. It just makes an ugly thumping sound when you switch into it and when you switch out of it, and it kind of ****** and jolted around. What should it sound like when you switch to 4-lo? Hope I didn't hurt anything when I mistakenly switched out of it going 12mph. It really made a thump that time.

Sounds normal. You will get some grinding if you didn't shift right. The jumping and jolting is normal, and especially prominent with a manual because direct link with the engine. It feels alot more jerky/jumpy because of the gear reduction. When you shift into 4-low it is about the equivelent of going from 4 down to 1st gear. Think about how it would jerk if you shift from 4-1 and let the clutch out quickly going 10-15 mph.

Just take your time letting out the clutch or put the trans in neutral. 1st and 4-lo is going to feel jumpy, especially in a low geared manual like the KJ. In 4-Lo you should be able to start out in 3rd without a problem on most terrain. In 4-Lo, about 3rd or 4th gear is the now the gear reduction equivalent of 1st in 2/4-hi

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
thecause17 said:

Yes. Once in 4LO it was like a tractor.
What should it sound like when you are switching to 4LO?

Try depressing the clutch, shift into 4 low, then shift into 4th gear before letting up on the clutch. It will be much smoother.

4-lo is suppose to feel like a tractor.

MacAttack

Reaction score
Ok. I'll give your method a try. Thanks.

Do you think I broke anything when I switched out of 4-LO while going 12mph. I felt kind of sick after I realized what I did. The poor little Jeep is brand new, so I'm paranoid that I damaged something now.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
Ok. I'll give your method a try. Thanks.

Do you think I broke anything when I switched out of 4-LO while going 12mph. I felt kind of sick after I realized what I did. The poor little Jeep is brand new, so I'm paranoid that I damaged something now.

If it's still running fine, then I doubt it. I've seen them abused quite a bit and they just keep on ticking.

MacAttack

Reaction score
Just got back from testing out the 4-LO again.
This time I put the Manual in neutral and pressed the clutch down.
Worked much better........at least it sounded much better ! O:)

Getting from 4-LO back to 4-HI is somewhat of an artform though.
I tried multiple times, but kept getting to neutral, then I had to go back to 4-LO and try 3 more times. Finally I just pushed it all the way back from 4-LO to 2-HI. Hope it's ok to do that.

Tried again later on and was finally able to go from 4-LO to 4-HI. I don't think anything broke yet.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
Finally I just pushed it all the way back from 4-LO to 2-HI. Hope it's ok to do that.
That is perfectly fine. You didn't break anything...

Although you have to practice.... Eventually you'll get it right.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Remember, 4lo has some serious guts behind it.....so you're generally gonna hear or feel a bit more of a clunk going into it. It's normal. Just a friendly reminder of the beast you're about to unleash O:)