Transmission clunk coming out of O/D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdel

Reaction score
I think I've searched about everything and didn't see anything so here goes,
I just bought a KJ(2003 4wd, 156k/miles) and it needed a bunch of suspension work.
Got it all done and noticed it had a new trans pan.
Well driving today was coasting to a stop, noticed (felt and heard) a loud clunk. Got it narrowed down after driving more, it only happens on deceleration @ 30mph. On acceleration, heavy foot or grandpa footing it, it shifts fine. So I hit the O/D off button and the clunk was gone, so it tells me coming out of o/d or thr 4-3 shift I'm having the problem. I can tell it has fresh fluid. No codes in the stored or active(using Autel MaxiCOM MK808BT PRO Scanner). I have seen conflicting info on tcm reset.
Any help or info would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about slushboxes, but O/D button usually allows (or prevents) the torque converter from locking up. Although it may feel like the trans is going into its final gear there, what's happening is a clutch on the converter is engaging, which locks the engine to the transmission input shaft. The whole point of it is to increase gas mileage. Perhaps your problem lies there?

kdel

Reaction score
I didn't think about torque converter. I would have thought there should have been more symptoms associated with it other than just disengaging. Like slippage or overheating.
And then if it is the convertor, where do I stop? Trans has gotta come out, with that many miles have it rebuilt? Throw in a reman?

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I could advise you more, but I really don't know. Perhaps you could try stopping by a few trans shops in the early am before they get busy and try to get their take on what might be going on.