transponder keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gordymills

Reaction score
they should work, but the dealers would probably have to do some programming to make the key match the ignition.

Libertee

Reaction score
While the security of a transponder key is nice, the outrageous prices of the keys are ridiculous. My replacement cost me $125 after a discount at the dealer for a remote key. I don't even use it anymore. I have an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry on my '05 Liberty. It uses a transponder bypass, which allows me to use regular steel keys. The transponder bypass kits are available separately as an add-on. This might be one option for you to look at. There are two types; one requires the user to have two transponder key to program the box, the other requires that a single gray key be permanently placed in the box.

Here's a link to one I found on a quick Google search:
http://mmautocustoms.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=108

Do a search for "Jeep transponder bypass" for additional brands.

Patrick

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the security of a transponder key is nice, the outrageous prices of the keys are ridiculous.

Cost me $25 for a spare key, $20 for the key on eBay and $5 to get it cut at a locksmith. You got ripped because you went to the stealership.

Libertee

Reaction score
Yea, but I needed it NOW because I had an appointment to have the remote start installed the next day. When I bought the KJ used, it only had 1 gray transponder key with it. I can guarantee that it won't happen again:mad:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cost me $25 for a spare key, $20 for the key on eBay and $5 to get it cut at a locksmith. You got ripped because you went to the stealership.
Not a transponder key,sure you can get a transponder key cut at a locksmith but it won't keep your KJ running,it'll start and die in 2 seconds unless you have it programed(by use of a DRBIII scanner).Now the non-transponder keys can be had for cheap and need no programming.I got a spare key(no transponder since I don't have any factory alarms) for $5 and another $5 to have it cut at a locksmith,it even had the rubber Jeep pad on it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has an 05 with the transponder key. They are different than the 02-04 keys. I do not know where you can get a spare transponder OEM key except the dealer. Then it needs to be programmed. You can do it if you have the EVIC and 2 OEM keys but if you lose one you are screwed in to going to the dealer. IWIK where to get a 3rd one just in case.

Dave

Last edited:

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since I have an 02 with no factory alarm, I can just buy a key off eBay, have it cut and it'll work?

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a transponder key,sure you can get a transponder key cut at a locksmith but it won't keep your KJ running,it'll start and die in 2 seconds unless you have it programed(by use of a DRBIII scanner).Now the non-transponder keys can be had for cheap and need no programming.I got a spare key(no transponder since I don't have any factory alarms) for $5 and another $5 to have it cut at a locksmith,it even had the rubber Jeep pad on it.

On the contrary, I bought a transponder key on eBay, got it cut at a locksmith and programmed it myself using my 2 factory keys. The 2007 owner's manual actually has the instructions on how to program a key. The way you know it works is the engine doesn't shutoff after 3 seconds like it did before I programmed it. :D