Walmart copied transponder key and programming 3rd key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jedi_jackson

Reaction score
My 2005 Liberty only came with one key. I have noticed that Walmart will copy transponder keys for Jeeps for around $60, but doesn't have the FOB controls, key only. I know you have to have 2 keys to program other keys. So what I would like to do is get a Walmart transponder key and then buy an aftermarket key with built in FOB and have it cut for the Jeep and then program it with original key and the Walmart key. Does anyone know if this will work since the Walmart key will be a copy of my original or would I have to have another key programmed from the dealer to accomplish programming a third key?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately no, if it's being cloned.
try to find a mobile locksmith that might have the capability to program a unique one for you.

Ronald

Reaction score
My 2005 Liberty only came with one key. I have noticed that Walmart will copy transponder keys for Jeeps for around $60, but doesn't have the FOB controls, key only. I know you have to have 2 keys to program other keys. So what I would like to do is get a Walmart transponder key and then buy an aftermarket key with built in FOB and have it cut for the Jeep and then program it with original key and the Walmart key. Does anyone know if this will work since the Walmart key will be a copy of my original or would I have to have another key programmed from the dealer to accomplish programming a third key?
How did you fix this problem I have a similar one now with a 2011 liberty

Ronald

Reaction score
I haven't yet but the only thing I can figure out is that I will have to go to a dealer or a locksmith.
NOW I FOUND OUT ITS THE JEEPS INSTALLED REMOTE BOX UNDER THE DASH OR WHERE EVER THEY MOUNTED IT . ITS INTERMITTENT ,NOT THE fob THE LOCKSMITH RECHECKED ITS ALL FUNCTIONS ARE WORKING . so how do I try to find the loose wire of fuse if it ain't one thing its another ,I don't even know if the 2011 had an option for a remote start or is this a aftermarket. well thank god it starts fine in the ignition switch .

Cogscidawg

Reaction score
Do you need a unique key? I only have one key for my 2003 and if a cloned key is cheaper and gets the job done is there any need to have a key programmed? I just want to have a spare in case I lose my key.

I have also read that black keys are not transponder keys, only grey keys have transponder? Are all libertys equipped with the sentry key system?

Last edited:

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read on here somewhere as well that only the greys had the transponder in it, maybe thats for certain years?

My key is black, and has the little rfid chip or whatever going on in there. I had an extra door/exterior lock key made, which will start the car, but then engine cuts off after about 2 seconds.

Cogscidawg

Reaction score
I have a 2003 sport. I ordered $6 key blanks from lowes and went in today and had them cut. The copies will open doors and start the engine. I let the engine run for a few minutes with the newly cut keys and there were no issues. The black key for my particular jeep is not a transponder key apparently. Two spare keys for about $12!

Reactions: JRB

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read on here somewhere as well that only the greys had the transponder in it, maybe thats for certain years?

My key is black, and has the little rfid chip or whatever going on in there. I had an extra door/exterior lock key made, which will start the car, but then engine cuts off after about 2 seconds.
Black, round keys were plain keys.

Grey, round head were transponders.

Black, triangle heads (with the rke fob) are transponder.

If you have the pin code (4 digit), the other keys can be programmed by someone with the appropriate scan tool. My launch x431 will do it. Took me a year to find the right guy at my dealer to look up the pin for me. I bought a few keys (fob head) online, cut at local hardware store. Programmed with the pin code and all worked at it should.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black, round keys were plain keys.

Grey, round head were transponders.

Black, triangle heads (with the rke fob) are transponder.

If you have the pin code (4 digit), the other keys can be programmed by someone with the appropriate scan tool. My launch x431 will do it. Took me a year to find the right guy at my dealer to look up the pin for me. I bought a few keys (fob head) online, cut at local hardware store. Programmed with the pin code and all worked at it should.

I valeted from 2003-2007 at a busy hotel that also rented cars, and I parked a lot of cars. Remembered looking at the chrysler keys, wondering if they had different colored keys for a reason!

I didn't like them then, or now, I'm disappointed I have the triangle key. I don't know why, but I don't like how it looks. Do you know if a black triangle head key can be used to copy to a grey round head key by chance?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen a triangle key for a KJ? I know the ZJ 's have the triangle keys and they do NOT have a chip in them.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen a triangle key for a KJ? I know the ZJ 's have the triangle keys and they do NOT have a chip in them.
I think he means the key with the four-button fob attached. It is vaguely triangular.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I valeted from 2003-2007 at a busy hotel that also rented cars, and I parked a lot of cars. Remembered looking at the chrysler keys, wondering if they had different colored keys for a reason!

I didn't like them then, or now, I'm disappointed I have the triangle key. I don't know why, but I don't like how it looks. Do you know if a black triangle head key can be used to copy to a grey round head key by chance?
You need to have 2 unique keys that are paired to the SKIM module to copy a 3rd or 4th on your own. I THINK mix and match of Grey and Fob keys should work.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to have 2 unique keys that are paired to the SKIM module to copy a 3rd or 4th on your own. I THINK mix and match of Grey and Fob keys should work.

Mine did come with two of the triangle like shape key with fob built in.

In the past I believe I read how one could be just a copy of the other and not unique, although I don't know how to test that myself yet, I'll have to do some info digging.

At worst I may have to find an independant auto lock smith that knows their stuff, and see what they say. I don't trust the stealerships in my area, for any make and model of vehicle.

Thank you for all the info so far.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did come with two of the triangle like shape key with fob built in.

In the past I believe I read how one could be just a copy of the other and not unique, although I don't know how to test that myself yet, I'll have to do some info digging.

At worst I may have to find an independant auto lock smith that knows their stuff, and see what they say. I don't trust the stealerships in my area, for any make and model of vehicle.

Thank you for all the info so far.
If you have the pin code, you are gold, many bi-directional scanners can mate the key to the skim. My stealership service advisor wanted 90 bucks for as many keys as i wanted at 50 ish each and would provide the pin AFTER he got the key job. Went to another CJDR dealer, where the parts department was much more interested in helping. I now go there (25 miles) to buy any Mopar specific stuff I need instead of the closer guy.

Latest posts

Members online