Transmission went kaput

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i had the TCC light come on and off for a while now, tried flushing ****** fluid and was hoping it was just a fluke and fix it. But yesterday i was using cruise control and going up the hill it down shifted and upshifted again really really hard with a bump and then my 4th gear went out. So when i got off the highway and stopped at the light it downshifted with a bump again and would not even go anywhere. I tried putting it into 4 hi thinking it might just drive me off the road and it moved for 10 feet and completely quit working. When I tried it again it was grinding in the reverse. So after getting it towed back, I am now looking into buying a donor trasmission since it is the cheapest way and either doing the swap myself or having a shop swap it.
So my question is for the 05 Libberty 3.7 L 42RLE can i use 05-07 or any year after 05 will work? Also when I was looking at the transmissions it gave an option for a 3 or 4 wire plug on the LH side, so does it really matter which one?
Thank you guys/gals, and also if you have any links for videos or any other usefull information to accomplish this task on my own please share.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am still looking for a replacement transmission, I am sure somebody knows how to check if it is a 3 or 4 wire plug transmission? I am confused, i have looked all over the ****** yesterday and could not find a wire that i should check to see which one it is? Should i see if my transmission has 3 or 4 wires connected to it or a certain wire that has either 3 or 4 wires in it? I found a 4 wire connector but that was coming from a sensor off the exhaust pipe. Any help please? And also the interchangeable years I could use a replacement transmission.

Thank you

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i finally took her to the shop to get transmission replaced with a donor one, but before I got there, I had my buddy trying to pull me so when I turned the car on to get power breaks and steering my rear right wheel would not turn at all. When I turned the car off it started rolling again. So did my transfer case get destroyed as well? Or could it be broken transmission that would not let my wheel rotate?
Any thoughts? I mean I will find out what exactly is wrong when the shop starts working on it but was wondering what might have caused the wheel lockup?