Auto Transmission Popping out of First when Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murdoc

Reaction score
I have a 2009 KK with 170k miles. In the morning I go out and start the car. Reverse out of the driveway, shift into drive and go to the end of my street. It goes through first gear, barely into second, and then I get to my stop sign. I wait, look both ways, and then proceed to turn. But the engine just revs and the car feels like it is in neutral. I wait a second, rev the engine a bit more, and then it will clunk into gear and drive off. After I drive for a little ways it doesn't do this again and drives completely normally. Seems to only do this after the car sits overnight.

Sometimes it doesn't go into hear when I shift from reverse to drive at the end of my driveway. Same thing, rev the engine a bit and "clunk" it pops into gear and off I go.

I don't think the transmission is "slipping" really. It just seems to have a hard time going into first gear when it has sit for a long while.

I thought maybe it was a pressure problem, checked my fluid level. It seemed a little low so I added some more fluid, but it is still happening.

Anyone run into this before or have any suggestions?

murdoc

Reaction score
Just an update on this. I checked my transmission fluid again and it looked low still. Added some more and now the problem has completely disappeared. So I guess it was just low fluid causing the problem.

williamwilliamson

Reaction score
Just an update on this. I checked my transmission fluid again and it looked low still. Added some more and now the problem has smash karts completely disappeared. So I guess it was just low fluid causing the problem.
Oh, update is useful for both my situation when transmission fluid is low. I add or remove oil but it didn't work.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.