Options to fix transmission slip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bunnyfoofoo

Reaction score
So my 04 Libby has 182K miles on her. 7K of those are mine. In the last 6 months the transmission has been slipping, mostly when from a stopped position. I have checked the fluid level and the color and level seem fine. Its bright red and doesn't smell. I was gonna change the fluid but with the level and color being what they are I wondered if that would even help. Seeing as how I can't afford to rebuild or replace my transmission right now, I was considering using a stop gap measure like Lucas Stop Slip. I would love to hear all of your experiences dealing with this same issue. Thanks so much, y'all are awesome!

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lucas could get a little more life out of it. Another one is called Instant Shudder Fixx. That eliminated a vibration in mine 22k miles ago and it hasn’t come back so far. Both of these products have friction modifiers and will mask the problem for a while but not repair the actual problem (worn clutches).

Bunnyfoofoo

Reaction score
The Lucas could get a little more life out of it. Another one is called Instant Shudder Fixx. That eliminated a vibration in mine 22k miles ago and it hasn’t come back so far. Both of these products have friction modifiers and will mask the problem for a while but not repair the actual problem (worn clutches).
Thank you. Do you know if either of these products do any damage to the transmission?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would change the fluid before trying either one, and see if there are metal shavings in the pan/in the filter/on the magnet. That will tell you if you have a bigger problem. If it still slips after that, and you have verified that the fluid level is correct, the Lucas additive is worth a shot. It won’t damage anything at that point that isn’t already damaged. But I think I would take it to a transmission shop to get it diagnosed before adding anything.

Members online

No members online now.