Transmission shifting too fast and too often

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for any input that can be offered. I have already read a thread (located here -http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/transmission-relearn-instructions-49103/?highlight=transmission+shifts+fast ) about a transmission relearn, and already completed the #1, and it made zero difference.

The transmission fluid is all fresh Mopar ATF+4, and a new filter, had issues (including some hard shifts) before the fluid change so that is not related.

When taking off, I use a pretty light foot and it goes from 1-2 around 15mph, then 3rd at 20-25 and 4th before 30 and OD around 30-33. If climbing a hill I must push the pedal down more, burning more gas, to cause it to downshift.

Is there a specific TPM for this issue? Is there anything I can do short of shelling out the $650 the local dealer wants for a "transmission diagnostic and reprogram"?

Thanks

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny. Both of mine wouldn't shift into torque converter lockup (you seem to be referring to torque converter lockup as "OD", because it's only a 4 speed.) unless I am/was a little over 50 or 55 (yes, I had to replace the trans with used, so I have driven 2 42RLEs). Sounds like you might need to relearn it. But I think reputable transmission shops can do this.

Are you absolutely positive about your shifts? Mine wouldn't even come close to lockup at 30, else I'm pretty sure it would stall. Just like if you had a manuall and upshifted too early. What happens if you use the shifter? Shift the shifter up when you feel that the Jeep should shift. Does it feel normal? Can you get someone to help you take a video of the Tach and the Speedo while you drive? That would give us a better idea of what is going on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's how I always understood the 42RLE.

Last edited:

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny. Both of mine wouldn't shift into torque converter lockup (you seem to be referring to torque converter lockup as "OD", because it's only a 4 speed.) unless I am/was a little over 50 or 55 (yes, I had to replace the trans with used, so I have driven 2 42RLEs). Sounds like you might need to relearn it. But I think reputable transmission shops can do this.

Are you absolutely positive about your shifts? Mine wouldn't even come close to lockup at 30, else I'm pretty sure it would stall. Just like if you had a manuall and upshifted too early. What happens if you use the shifter? Shift the shifter up when you feel that the Jeep should shift. Does it feel normal? Can you get someone to help you take a video of the Tach and the Speedo while you drive? That would give us a better idea of what is going on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's how I always understood the 42RLE.

Yes, it's lockup at 30-32mph if you really go light on the pedal. If you give it a bit more gas you might get 40MPH out of it before you have to push the gas pedal more to get it to shift back down.

It doesn't almost stall, but it "lugs" so hard it makes my muffler drone with its struggles and cries of woe, lol..

I'll see if I can get my wife to video it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How you drive is why it's shifting the way it is.The TCM learns how you drive and shifts accordinly.If your light on the pedal it will shift into higher gears faster since it thinks you want better mpg's.If your more aggressive with the skinny pedal it will hold the gears for longer.

Drive more aggressively and after about a week or two it will shift differently but go back to driving like a grandma and it will go back to shifting like it is now.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 does seem very low. Mine typically locks in 4th around 45mph if I'm easy on it, which for me is still way too early. 50mph would be perfect IMHO. Troy is right though, I let it shift around 3k Rpms now and it's pretty smooth.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some one needs a heavier foot
Mine shifts at 4500 or so flatfootin' it all the way :icon_lol:

coin

Reaction score
i dont remember at which gear but mine once hit 6000 rpm at like 35ish but that was pedal to the floor, but also i kinda do that pretty often.and that was from a dead stop if i was to guess though i was in 2nd.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont remember at which gear but mine once hit 6000 rpm at like 35ish but that was pedal to the floor, but also i kinda do that pretty often.and that was from a dead stop if i was to guess though i was in 2nd.
damn bro!

Latest posts

Members online