Transmission Pan Magnet.....I'm OCD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok stupid question.... i posted that i am about to buy my cousins low mileage Liberty end of next month. He took it in for a checkup after we discovered transmission fluid dripping on the pan. Turned out the pan had rusted so he had a new one installed. I'm worrying that they may not have remembered to transfer over the pan magnet when replacing and wonder if there is anyway to tell? I already tried a paperclip from the outside in the dedicated location but it didnt stick from the outside. Is this something i need to worry about or just check next time i do a ****** service? Ive got the tools and the garage so pending the cost of a filter, gasket and fluid its not that big a deal to change but like i said about my OCD may just be getting the best of me.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my pan the new one came with a magnet. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it now but do like you plan and service the ****** on a shorter interval if it'll help you sleep at night. I actually went 60k between the filter and fluid change. Didn't look too bad in there. Magnet had a light coating of fine particles but nothing too bad.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wondered if the new pan came with a magnet. Thought about stopping at the shop and asking but expect ill get a blank stare or an automatic "yes" when asking. I was thinking about doing it in 25000 instead of 50000 this next time just to be certain. What kind of fluid does the Jeep take? Something common or something thats dealer only?

edit*** Just read online that it should take atf+4? Do you all recommend the dealer only stuff or would the napa stuff or even my favorite brand (penzoil) be good to go?

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have CDO it's like OCD but alphabetically correct. If it gives you peace of mind go talk to the tech or just open it up and check. What do you think they did with the magnet?

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the old pan was rusted and a new one was ordered. While i trust my mechanic i ofter "wonder" about some of his help. I can envision the rusted pan being removed, filter changed, and new pan pulled from box and put on without much consideration given to the thought of ********* through the old pan and sludge to get magnet off before installation of new one. Like i said...OCD and im probably overthinking it...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to Home Depot and buy a package of Neodymium magnets. They're relatively cheap and come in different diameters/strengths. Then stick a couple of em to the bottom of the pan, and that area inside will be magnetized. Those magnets won't be coming off until you pry them off.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to Home Depot and buy a package of Neodymium magnets. They're relatively cheap and come in different diameters/strengths. Then stick a couple of em to the bottom of the pan, and that area inside will be magnetized. Those magnets won't be coming off until you pry them off.

I thought about that too just to ease my mind until time to change again... would it do a decent job? If the current magnet is in there it wasn't able to hold a paperclip from outside today so would these be able to hold shavings in the same way?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely better. The magnet that was inside the pan is a regular strength one (for lack of a better description). The ones I'm talking about are waaaaay stronger.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Those Neodymium magnets are really strong and will attract filings no problemo.

With My PML 42RLE aluminum transmission pan it came with a magnet on the end of the drain plug. That's all there is. Which reminds me next spring I am going to drop the pan.
I wonder if I could somehow attach a magnet or tig weld one inside on the aluminum?
Probably not worth risking though...

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Those Neodymium magnets are really strong and will attract filings no problemo.

With My PML 42RLE aluminum transmission pan it came with a magnet on the end of the drain plug. That's all there is. Which reminds me next spring I am going to drop the pan.
I wonder if I could somehow attach a magnet or tig weld one inside on the aluminum?
Probably not worth risking though...

Why not one on the outside and one on the inside.... should hold them from moving. Would have to try first I would think.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think the magnet will stick to aluminum..not a steel pan...Not sure on tig welding it either..?? dissimilar metals..hmmm..

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the magnet will stick to aluminum..not a steel pan...Not sure on tig welding it either..?? dissimilar metals..hmmm..

No no. Magnet on the outside to hold the magnet on the inside. Two magnets.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found a photo looks like fins don't cover the whole area..and a few flat spots.
50755[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Might be worth a try...

Attachments

• PmlPanPainted.jpg
    PmlPanPainted.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys ill swing by HD later and find a few magnets for the outside of my pan for now to hold me over until 100,000 then ill change it all again and check. If my magnet is in there would the polarity of these dislodge it or do anything in a negative way?

Latest posts

Members online