Oil pan removal while front differential is out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the title says it all, but therein lies the question, lol. 05 KJ.... While I have the front diff out (due to it needing replacement), I was wondering if anyone has replaced the oil pan gasket WITHOUT removing the engine, while the front diff is out.

It looks like it should be easy - as there's a good 2 inches of clearance between the bottom of the oil pan and the frame it sits above. But I don't know. I've replaced the oil pan/gasket twice before (on a different KJ) but both other times I had pulled the engine.

Any input from the masses?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it needs replaced, nows the time. When I had my front diff and all suspension removed on my 05 I didn't see any leaks or other problems, so i let it be.
You must be registered for see images attach
I did replace engine mounts while all this access was available
filled in all the voids with 3m window weld, now I can feel it idle...

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this too, but then I had to remind myself that this is not and will never be a show car so I need not paint every nook and cranny.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any special procedure to replace the engine mounts? Is it necessary to take off the front differential?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any special procedure to replace the engine mounts? Is it necessary to take off the front differential?
I don't believe it's necessary to remove front differential, but mine was out anyway so I took the opportunity to replace the mounts. I also replaced the rack bushings while the differential was out. It just made it so easy.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like there's hella easy access to the starter, too. That may be on my list in the near future....

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered it too, but starters can out last the rest of the truck.

Understood, however, you know that sound when the engine is already running and you try to crank the starter again? Heap Jeep does that every now and again. Could be the starter, could be the flywheel (doubtful).

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood, however, you know that sound when the engine is already running and you try to crank the starter again? Heap Jeep does that every now and again. Could be the starter, could be the flywheel (doubtful).
Sounds like you may have a sticky solenoid, I'd go ahead and replace it then.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's going to be more than just an oil pan and a starter. I was taking the oil pan off last night and had happened to glance up at the freeze plugs on the driver side. Guess what lol. The front most plug looked like it was ready to blow.

At first I was just going to JB weld it until I had a chance to pull the whole engine. So, I sprayed it with brake cleaner and the INSTANT I went to clean it with a wire brush... I got an antifreeze bath o_Oo_O.

No choice now. The engine has to come out. SIGH.......

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what my Wife said.

So, we have started the process already. The entire front fascia is already removed, as are the wiring harnesses, radiator, A/C condensor, headlights, and most of the cooling system.

Behold:

I intend on having the engine removed by tomorrow night. Then, by the time I get the freeze plugs out (I'm replacing all 6) and figure out why the starter makes that grinding sound occasionally, the parts should have come in by then.

Also, most of the antifreeze that had drained from the heater core and the radiator was orange/rust colored. Every last drop that came out of block (via the blown freeze plug), however, was a nice shiny green.

Figure that one out?

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the title says it all, but therein lies the question, lol. 05 KJ.... While I have the front diff out (due to it needing replacement), I was wondering if anyone has replaced the oil pan gasket WITHOUT removing the engine, while the front diff is out.

It looks like it should be easy - as there's a good 2 inches of clearance between the bottom of the oil pan and the frame it sits above. But I don't know. I've replaced the oil pan/gasket twice before (on a different KJ) but both other times I had pulled the engine.

You might have pickup tube clearance problem?

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the engine out today. Wasn't NEARLY as difficult as I remember it being. I also did some things differently this time.
For example, instead of leaving the engine mounts bolted to the engine, I took them off this time and removed them completely from the vehicle. This gave me more than ample clearance to pull the whole engine forward to disconnect it from the transmission, instead of having to pull up and out.

Also, I found a nice little video on the step by step process of removing specifically a 3.7l from a KJ.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There's a very important step in that video, right around 4:13 to 5:57, that for the cost of about 30 minutes and $25 in gaskets, saved me from a HUGE headache.

Moreover, all of the differential part that I had ordered finally came in. It now has new carrier bearings, axle shaft bearings, axle seals, and a new cover gasket (which, the wrong part came in for the cover. Meh.. RTV and call it good). I also OILED THE BEARINGS so they won't rust while the diff is waiting to be installed.

Lastly, I'm just waiting on the freeze plugs to get here so I can install them, and then start the reassembly.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OK, I looked up 2005 oil pan removal ( go to youtube "2005 6 bolts 2 hr. pan removal ) he talk about removing motor mount bolts, and 2 rear cross member bolts to drop front end about 6 inches