leaking transmission pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7l v6 with about 152k on it and the transmission pan is leaking from the drivers side
any suggestions on what might be causing it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The OEM 42RLE transmission pan were stamped steel, and warped from heat, especially around side or the bolt holes.
Transmission RTV was used and after a year or so mine would start to leak.

I ordered a PML 42RLE machined aluminum transmission pan, & used a LubeLocker gasket.
Pan kept ATF+4 fluid cooler, and zero leaks again.:)

Should Replace the transmission filter while there...

Attachments

• PML Aluminum Pan w Drain Plug and Lubelocker Gasket a.jpg
    PML Aluminum Pan w Drain Plug and Lubelocker Gasket a.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
thanks that really isn not what I want to hear, but when does anyone want to hear the need a new pan.
Thank you
how much is an aftermarket temp sensor kit the car is for the most part stock.

Reaction score
thanks man, really helpful
sadly I cant afford a new pan right now so I will have to watch it and make sure its doesn't loose to much fluid

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok well, the cheaper option is to hope that a new kj 42RLE stamped steel transmission pan may still be available. Then use a LubeLocker gasket. and torque it to spec.

jimbobwa

Reaction score
I had to replace mine (03 Liberty) because we live in Wisconsin.....and it rusted a whole (several) in it. You can get them at O'Reilly's for $40 bucks....

GA05KJ

Reaction score
Assuming 42RLE
First, Lubelocker - terrific recommendation. Deep pan IDK.
All of my (3) Libertys have 200K plus.
Anywho.....
BUT...IF the proper bolt is not thread sealed it will leak no matter what you do.
It is specifically one bolt...Ask me how I know. I mark it with a paint pen on the pan.
And yes, I would go look but neither one is with me at the moment. Sorry.
But wanted to post and say you aren't crazy and it doesn't require anything super-special.
Just the RIGHT thing in the RIGHT place.

OK found it.... Bolt #5 might even be marked.
From the FSM
"NOTE: Before installing the oil pan bolt (5) in the bolt hole located between the torque converter clutch on and U/D clutch pressure tap circuits, it will be necessary to replentish the sealing patch on the bolt using Mopar® Lock & Seal Adhesive. "

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have any leaks but I did have some solid rust going, and I wanted to get to the filter, and fluid. So I got an OEM pan which I think was $46. Not bad. The LubeLocker gasket I think was $25, a lot for a gasket but reusable. The filter was rare but I did find one.

There may have been one other brand with a drain hole. That would probably be a good idea.

My trans never overheated only when I was on the Shafer Trail switchbacks in Moab. But my friend with an FJ said his overheated when we were going up a sheep trail.
dc

ThomasKolbe

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7l v6 with about 152k on it and the transmission pan is leaking from the drivers side
any suggestions on what might be causing it
I had to replace my oil pan due to rust issues (I'm in Sweden where we have a lot of winter with salt on the roads)
I hit a stone with the oil pan while wheeling, and it was beyond repair ...
I went with this kit from Ebay and added locktite "maka-a-gasket" It's $80.
Has been holding on with no issues ever since (I did though mount a skid plate afterwards )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004_082126_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_082126_eBay.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 4