Transmission code translation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I got a P700 - transmission control module code today. Shut the KJ down to into the store and when I started it again, all was good.

We also had an intermittent P734 code (I think for incorrect ratio error) while on our road trip, but that also went away.

Being that these codes have been sporadic or non-existent at best, what should I be looking at? Is this potentially a sensor issue, or something more?

The KJ is just under 205K miles and everything is still OEM in way of transmission except for the TransGo shift kit that we put in 3-4 years ago.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
P0700=Trans Control System Malfunction
P0734=Incorrect 4th Gear Ratio

That's what the codes say but I'm not sure what to say from there except it sounds like a sensor issue.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The P0700 code is just the TCM telling the PCM to turn on the check engine light,there is no test or specific fault for that code.

As for the other code it could be the side plate for the valve body coming off or the most common is the trans is about to let go,as in the clutches are very worn,but only if you get that code by itself.If you get others it could mean something else all together.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
It's only ever been the P734... other than the P700 today. It happened twice on our road trip. Once at the beginning of the trip, and once again right before we got home. It hasn't happened since we've been back. Very intermittent.

Will check out the throttle body, and sensors too. At least that's somewhere to start... thanks guys.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer Jayme!

When I got a P0732 it ended up being the clutch packs - which meant new ****** as the clutch packs were shot. Now I knew my 42RLE trans was going out when I bought mine used and was prepped with a replacement. The code may not have the same diagnosis with yours since it's the 45RFE and you've taken care of it.

Trans shop will be able to get readings via their scanner to see if the CVI's are in or out of spec.

Here's hoping you get good news. :angels2:

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer Jayme!

When I got a P0732 it ended up being the clutch packs - which meant new ****** as the clutch packs were shot. Now I knew my 42RLE trans was going out when I bought mine used and was prepped with a replacement. The code may not have the same diagnosis with yours since it's the 45RFE and you've taken care of it.

Trans shop will be able to get readings via their scanner to see if the CVI's are in or out of spec.

Here's hoping you get good news. :angels2:

Bob

I second this. CVIs is what you gotta look for in order to check that everything is working to spec.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. I'll keep that in mind. It's been doing fine - behaving normally, no codes - all day today... and I drove a lot. Once I check out the throttle body and possibly replace a sensor, I think I'm going to let it ride and see if it misbehaves any more than simply on a sporadic basis like it is now. I'm hoping it's just a fluke thing.

If it does need rebuilt, Aaron knows a guy about 45 minutes from us that does a good job for a really reasonable price. He had the ****** in his Astro done for $900.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p0734 just came up today after having the solenoid pack, filter and fluids replaced on thursday. before the solenoid pack code came up it shifted hard into i believe 3rd specifically going up hills. old fluid was still red. after repair still shifts hard into 3rd going up hill. sometimes a high rev and then shift. but no issue going into 4th.....thoughts?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When was the last time you did the filter & fluid Jayme?
Probably would not hurt to drop the pan & have a peak in there for particulate matter.
New fluid may also get transmission happy again!

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you did the filter & fluid Jayme?
Probably would not hurt to drop the pan & have a peak in there for particulate matter.
New fluid may also get transmission happy again!

Mightybeet ressurected this thread Jayme's post was 3 years ago

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry... trying to piggy back onto threads with similar issues instead of creating a new one to help consolidate.

seems to slip going into 3rd with OD on.
shifts okay into 3rd with OD off.

cleared p0734 and it has not come back... going to talk with transmission places

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry... trying to piggy back onto threads with similar issues instead of creating a new one to help consolidate.

seems to slip going into 3rd with OD on.
shifts okay into 3rd with OD off.

cleared p0734 and it has not come back... going to talk with transmission places

i've been driving mine ike thi for 6k mie jut with od off.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wsince you jut had the solenoid replaced i fear yer cutch pack are gone and it i time for a new ******

did they find metal in the pan when they drained the fluid?

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
output sensor changed?
alo check the wire and pig tail for the sensor

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw i had no metal either and i jut havnt changed the sensor ike i wsaid i've put 6000 mie on it.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i think a 5/8th wrench it come right out unplug new one goe in