Transmission going out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been gone from here for a while focusing on well, life and thought I'd just let you all know my transmission is going out or seems to be. Thought I'd pick the brains of all the fine folks here and see if this has already happened to anyone so I know what to expect.

since mid winter i've had an intermittent shudder when accelerating. now today, had a one of those KJ lurches at a light and a few stops later on, it had trouble taking off. I drove on the highway for about 10 minutes and exited off and stopped at a light. Gas, no go --- finally just creeped forward until I could pull off to the shoulder and let everyone by. made it to the next turn and circled around a parking lot. It finally started grabbing. so, took off, almost home and came to the next stop 2 miles down the road 45 mph. went to take off and nothing wouldn't go, like it was in neutral, let off the gas seemed to clunk into gear and off I went again for about 1/4 mile until I got home.

sound familiar to anyone? transmission shop is scheduled out a while here so thinking about other options. The transmission shop here I trust as they are good and have a nice reputation. They even fixed a relatives jeep Grand before when it was just a solenoid after the dealer wanted to put in a new ******.
Thanks all!

Thanks for moving to KJ section!!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey RM ! That does not sound good ..Could u find someone to hook up into OBD2 & have the Transmission codes scanned?

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine had ****** issues too. My experience was the 3-4 clutch pack slipping. It didn't behave entirely like you describe - I would always maintain power (never the neutral feeling that you describe). Mine would often miss and lurch when going from 3rd to 4th... so much towards the end that I could anticipate it, and I would lock out overdrive to prevent it.

Mine would throw the P0734 code - is yours displaying any codes?

We ended up swapping in a donor transmission from another KJ, with much less miles on it... and I drove it enough before I left on my trip for it to complete the relearn... and it's been doing really well on this cross-country trip.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! No codes. At least no cel.

There is a loud whine just before it acts up, sounds like a bad power steering pump, but it is obviously coming from the transmission. Driving home yesterday I had OD off to keep it cooler, had trouble taking off and barely got itself going 40 before it would go any faster. Then maintaining 40 the rpms slipped up and down between 1800 and 2200.

Could be the pump going out I guess since it whines right?
Anyway it's gonna be sitting in the garage for a while.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar to what happened to mine just after I bought it. The dealer knew the ****** was bad and we worked out a deal to swap in a donor that had about 30,000 miles on it. When I finally got the donor swapped in the original was shuddering and struggled to pull away from a light or stop sign. Had a bunch of codes too (P700, P734, etc.)

If it happens again to mine I'll just have a new/rebuilt one put in rather than rebuild mine. Less labor cost that way.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! No codes. At least no cel.
RM only the dealer Star Scan or High End Snap on as an example can read the transmission codes. You generally wont get a CEL for Trans problemo.
Most trans shop will also have an appropriate scanner to read the trans codes.
Might be worthwhile to have this done, it may indicate the exact problem with your transmission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, figured I might as well start shopping. anyone ever dealth with these guys:

42RLE Transmission For Sale

Looks like they rebuild them with upgraded parts and shift kit and so forth. Basically it looks like they know all the issues that plague the 42rle and they address those when they rebuild them.

I'm thinking since the 42rle is such a stinker, that it would be wise to just go for a nicely rebuilt one.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RM only the dealer Star Scan or High End Snap on as an example can read the transmission codes. You generally wont get a CEL for Trans problemo.
Most trans shop will also have an appropriate scanner to read the trans codes.
Might be worthwhile to have this done, it may indicate the exact problem with your transmission.

yeah, you are right you know. however I think I'll toast it driving it there being that it is about a 10 mile jaunt through town.

I'm debating what my options are and might need to just get it towed.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I do have an ODB scanner that I use with my iPhone. I use the DashCommand app. It is finding codes:

P0731
Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio

P0846
Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Range/Performance

P0700
Transmission Control System (MIL Request)

could it be just a sensor? < -- says this with hands in praying position.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Start with that first, of course. Good find on the code reader. Mine set codes when it acted up. I believe P0700 is a general trans error code - I had that one too.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little web searching is telling me that the solenoid pack may be bad. There's also a TSB about the pressure sensor wiring harness where it gets corroded. I would check that, but I can't get to it and I don't really want to drop the transmission down. I don't see how it would be corroded anyway, it is very clean up there and looks like it never gets wet.

there seems to be a nice supply of 42rle transmissions out there, so if the transmission needs rebuilt I will more than likely just replace it. I've never liked this transmission anyway. LOL good riddance.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I do have an ODB scanner that I use with my iPhone. I use the DashCommand app. It is finding codes:

P0731
Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio

P0846
Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Range/Performance

P0700
Transmission Control System (MIL Request)

could it be just a sensor? < -- says this with hands in praying position.

The one I've highlighted is the code that's the biggie. Basically that code says that the expected speed of the the first gear clutches is not happening due to slippage of the 1st and Reverse clutch pack (first and Reverse share the same clutch pack.) A ****** shop will tell you that the Clutch Volume Index (CVI) numbers for that clutch pack are not in spec due to excessive wear of the clutches. They aren't replaceable and need rebuilt - and since the entire trans needs to be disassembled to get to the clutch packs you should go ahead and install a new/rebuilt trans. Labor is cheaper to just swap in a new one than spend the labor hours for your ****** on the shop's bench. I hate telling you that but it's the economic reality of ****** repair :(

Bob

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good price.

And x2 on everything Bob said - my ****** fried the 1st/reverse clutch pack too. I swapped mine out with a known good used ****** from eBay in my backyard and everything (knock on wood) has been perfect for 7000 miles.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to have a shop do it. I could but would probably screw something up.
Just need to see what they say is wrong.

Would love to just feel how a new one feels.
I got this KJ with 3000 miles on it and it has always been a bit quirky. Not really "Normal" if you ask me. Always shifting weird and as of late finally started acting better actually with stiffer shifts.

Btw, 97k on it. Did a flush at dealer at 60k.

Not at all beat on. I've been really nice to it. Just a 42rle for ya I guess.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was my best friend's Jeep. She said the original ****** never felt quite right, either - from brand new. She drove it in April and said that's the best it's ever felt. They did have a fluid/filter change done at a place other than the dealer, who said yeah, they use ATF+4, but it was their generic all-encompassing not ATF+4 instead.

I still think there was a batch of not-quite-right 42RLEs from the factory, myself.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't claim that as mine was one of the "bulletproof" 45RFE's... but with the amount of overall mileage on the vehicle (with the amount of offroad miles), I'm not complaining.

I still hope it's simple for you.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fried

Well it's done for, getting rebuilt. Called the place that I linked to in the previous thread and they said they didn't have any 42rles. Go figure.
Having them put in a transgo shift kit just for good measure.
Hopefully it will be better than new when I get it back.