Stock KJ front springs junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmaxx26power

Reaction score
I have a 2004 KJ that I bought about a month ago, it has 51,000 miles on it and all stock suspension. I hadn't noticed until today when I was parked in a big open level parking lot that the front left seems to set a touch lower then the right. I took a measurement from the ground up to the bottom of the flare on each side and as I suspected the left front measures 1/4 inch shorter. I checked under it and everything looks to be in great shape(LBJ recall was done a year ago). Is it possible that the left front spring is starting to sag more the the other or what else should I be looking for? It drives nice and straight and makes no weird noises at all. Thanks in advance!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen a vehicle that was completely level same on both sides but yes with 50,000 they are more than likely gone, stock suspension pretty much ***** wind from the factory.
Get some OME springs and a good strut like Ranchos or OMEs and you will be good to go. You will not beleive how much better it will ride afterwards.

tmaxx26power

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tom, exactly what I was thinking. Can I just replace the springs-struts-shocks as you suggested then have it aligned or is there anything else I need? My main concern right now is factory replacement without a major lift involved. My first intentions when I bought was to lift it and go bigger tires-wheels but I think I will drive it for a year before that happens as this is my only transporation at this time.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
you can go with the OME springs in a medium with about 1.5 inches to 2 inches of lift then later on theres a couple of tricks you could do for more heighth
so yes replace springs and shocks( struts) and alignment as ggod as new ( only better)

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in the OME springs but I can't find a listing on rocky's site for the KJ. Does anyone have the part numbers or another place to order them from as mentioned above?
Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in the OME springs but I can't find a listing on rocky's site for the KJ. Does anyone have the part numbers or another place to order them from as mentioned above?
Thanks

ROCKYS ????????????????????NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't even go there!
several places handle them, I get all of mine now from OK 4WD www.OK4WD.com 908-454-6973 or 4X4 connection has them as wellalso one of the best sponsers for Jeeps AllJs ( boulderbars.com)
OME927 for the front OME 948s for the rear these are the Heavy Duty ones, medium is 926 for the front, 947 for the rear, unless you have a CRD then you need OME750s
Rancho parts numbers RSX17004 rear, RSX 17505 front, Summit Racing has them or some auto parts as well

Tom

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ome..

I have a 04 with Rocky Mountain Edition with 35,000 miles and all I can say is the stock springs are starting to sag in the front by about one inch. Even though I recently added a 55lb push bar,the stock OEM springs make me want to blow chunks.
OME in a medium coil and strut , will hopefully get a 1.5-2" lift in the front, and I am sure there will be a much better ride, hopefully eliminating the shock wave headed for the wheel over the potholes, that I sometimes get with the stock crap.
Are there OME products for rear shocks? Do not see a listing? Will use Rancho then.
Time to start saving up...spring $$ to be spent....

Latest posts

Members online