clunking noise up front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjkotlar

If it ain't broke, take it apart to find out why.
Reaction score
Once again I'm coming here hoping to find answers to life's questions. I had a clicking clunking noise coming from somewhere in the front end only while in 4wd (high or low range). It's not a deep heavy metal clunking, more of a higher pitched clunk, the best description I could give of the noise is that it sounds like the exhaust pipe is swinging back and forth and hitting something, more of a thin metal sound and is only there while under load. The exhaust system is solid as a rock so that easy answer is a non starter. I have replaced the front driveshaft and both of the front cv axles and intermediate shaft and the noise persists. I just realized that if I grab the driveshaft and rotate it while the car is in park, the front driveshaft rotates about 3/8 of an inch (measured at the bolt that connects it to the differential) before stopping, the rear driveshaft will not rotate at all without the differential turning the axle. Does this indicate that I have a problem in the front diff? I would expect a little backlash that would allow a little rotation of the driveshaft but I'm thinking this may be more than it should be. The fact that the rear driveshaft seems tight in the diff and won't rotate at all is making me doubt my theory of a little play should be expected. The frequency of the clicking noise is correlated to wheel speed so I'm reasonably confident that it's in the driveline, but after changing the driveshaft and both cv axles and the intermediate shaft, the only thing left that I can think would be the source of the noise is the front diff. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again I'm coming here hoping to find answers to life's questions. I had a clicking clunking noise coming from somewhere in the front end only while in 4wd (high or low range). It's not a deep heavy metal clunking, more of a higher pitched clunk, the best description I could give of the noise is that it sounds like the exhaust pipe is swinging back and forth and hitting something, more of a thin metal sound and is only there while under load. The exhaust system is solid as a rock so that easy answer is a non starter. I have replaced the front driveshaft and both of the front cv axles and intermediate shaft and the noise persists. I just realized that if I grab the driveshaft and rotate it while the car is in park, the front driveshaft rotates about 3/8 of an inch (measured at the bolt that connects it to the differential) before stopping, the rear driveshaft will not rotate at all without the differential turning the axle. Does this indicate that I have a problem in the front diff? I would expect a little backlash that would allow a little rotation of the driveshaft but I'm thinking this may be more than it should be. The fact that the rear driveshaft seems tight in the diff and won't rotate at all is making me doubt my theory of a little play should be expected. The frequency of the clicking noise is correlated to wheel speed so I'm reasonably confident that it's in the driveline, but after changing the driveshaft and both cv axles and the intermediate shaft, the only thing left that I can think would be the source of the noise is the front diff. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
maybe rack&pinion ?

kjkotlar

Reaction score
maybe rack&pinion ?
I found that the diff was a little low on lube today. I topped it off and the noise is not as loud but still there so I guess that pretty much tells the story. My next question would be does this mean that there is play in the gearset or would a rebuild kit (bearings and seals) tighten up the apparent play in the driveshaft rotation? I checked the front driveshaft on my Tundra and there is no rotational play in that one so I'm convinced there is something in the KJ's front diff that is not up to *****, just not sure if it's gear damage or bearings. Any thoughts out there? Thanks.

budget76

Reaction score
It is best to have axel off ground just enough to get tires off then spin shaft and wheels. You feel and hear the slop better when wheels are not engaged to earth with a load. good luck.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear was like that, All the bearings were worn so the preload had gone, the gears appear OK, hopefully when I get it back together and set back up it will run quietly again.

kjkotlar

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I guess I'll try the bearing and seal refresh and hope that clears up the issue, it's much less expensive than going for a new diff. Fingers crossed.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace tie rod-ends and tighten down all the way?

kjkotlar

Reaction score
I have not replaced the tie rod ends, they seem to be ok. If it was the tie rods I would expect to hear the noise in 2wd as well as 4wd but that isn't the case.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A driveshaft would vibrate at speed, could be sway bar link or tie-rod and or control arm ball joint! Last is kid plate tight and not rattling?