sticky caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the situation with the sticky caliper on an 03 liberty? driver side rear caliper, some sort of recall, TSB, etc?

I need to figure this out, it has been replaced once already. I changed all the rotors and pads yesterday on all four wheels. The pad on that sticky caliper spot was literally paper thin and crusting apart. When I went to compress the caliper back, it took a breaker bar on my c clamp to get it compressed. The seals are fine, the piston is fine, it is just crappy. The rest of the pistons were easy to remove.

Also, is the recall for LBJ only good for one replacement or can you have it done again?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, for anyone else looking to replace rotors and pads, I went with the suggestion here to use NAPA equipment. I have to say, everything went smoothly, the NAPA premium rotors with the NAPA ceramic premium pads worked great. All hardware included, the back plate on the pads were great, no anti squeel needed. I should have taken some pics but it was hot outside yesterday and I was trying to get this done.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 90% of the time a "sticky" calipher is caused by sticking calipher slide pins and/or contaminated brake fluid.The other 10% is from a bad calipher bore or bad piston.

I just recently did a brake job on a '04 KJ,Firestone said it needed all new caliphers since they where sticking,wrong it needed to calipher slide pins cleaned and regreased(most were corroded and dry) and a brake fluid flush.When I was flushing the fluid alot of black chunks came out of the caliphers,flushed over a qt of fliud through till no more black junk came out and the fliud came out clear.

Brake fluid is always looked over in maintance,it does need to be changed/flushed about every 2-3 years also.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i realize that, but isnt there a TSB about these calipers, I just cant seem to find the actual document. What I am trying to figure out is whether this was actually changed to the new caliper last time it was done or did they just say they did it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen a TSB for them. My right rear caliper also seized up last summer. Could hardly get the caliper off the rotor b/c it was still clamped so hard. Couldnt even get the piston back into the caliper.

Ended up going to napa and getting a new caliper for around $77 or so, been fine since.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my driver side rear just siezed up last month. i could not get the piston to go back into the bore for anything! i replaced it with a remaned cardone caliper for 51 dollars! easy to fix!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wonder why theyve not put a recall or TSB up for that?

Ohh, and the recall for the balljoints should be for the life of the Jeep as far as I know.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
why a recall ??? do you think its that much of a problem? Mines at 107,000 and still the original brakes, well except for the fluid changes every 40,000 miles, know of at least 5 others nearing 100,000 and the same thing no problems sticking.. just wondering

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why a recall ??? do you think its that much of a problem? Mines at 107,000 and still the original brakes, well except for the fluid changes every 40,000 miles, know of at least 5 others nearing 100,000 and the same thing no problems sticking.. just wondering

While those facts are nice, there are over a million libertys out on the road(or were on the roads). Im sure there were many libertys that didnt have bad lower balljoints when that recall came around. :)

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had done 96k on orginal rotors, and brake components, except this caliper.

I need to find this info, it does not surprise me that this has happened to other people, it is the driver side rear. It usually "sticks" during rapid climate change, it will literally stick for so long that if you don't notice it being stuck you will get out of the car and your rotor will almost be red.

Maybe I will just change it out myself to an aftermarket and be done with it all together.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
While those facts are nice, there are over a million libertys out on the road(or were on the roads). Im sure there were many libertys that didnt have bad lower balljoints when that recall came around. :)

But still don't see the reason for a recall on them, never heard of that many that had problems, just asked a friend of mine here in Toledo who owns a repair shop and works on a lot of Jeeps and hes never done any at all.
Just wondering, thinking out loud.
And I know how many Libertys there are / were seen most of them sitting at the rail yard ready to be shipped out just out the road here