Brake getting hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2mJps

Reaction score
The Left rear brake on my 06 liberty is getting hot. I smelled a hot brake about 3 weeks ago. The caliper moves smooth and easy. The liberty had been seating and the rotor wasnt the best so i replaced it for 100 miles its been ok .I hadnt drove it for a week drove it to town got home smelled hot brake agin. I guess i will replace the hose i hate to throw money at it hopping i will figure it out.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do the parking brake pads look on the inside of the rotor? Could they be seized or the spring broke causing friction?

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Left rear brake on my 06 liberty is getting hot. I smelled a hot brake about 3 weeks ago. The caliper moves smooth and easy. The liberty had been seating and the rotor wasnt the best so i replaced it for 100 miles its been ok .I hadnt drove it for a week drove it to town got home smelled hot brake agin. I guess i will replace the hose i hate to throw money at it hopping i will figure it out.
Hose sounds like the next step, since you have already determined that the caliper slides freely and smoothly.

Perhaps the E/B shoes are dragging, but looks like youi have addressed that.

Lube in the rear axle? Any leaking, etc? Might generate extra heat, but I doubt that would be isolated to symptoms on one side only.

The gov

Reaction score
I have ran into this issue a time or two and now replace hoses at a three year interval, brake hoses get taken for granted unfortunately and are as important as any other brake component, I have seen some last 15 years but would you trust a 15 year old tire? don't think so, me either...
Best of luck with your repair

2mJps

Reaction score
I replaced the hose and have drove it around 500 miles every thing was ok till to day i was about 4 miles from home went down a 1/8 mile hill had to stop at the bottom took back off up anther hill i thought this thing isnt running right. It never crossed my mind but when i got home i smelled it. I guess tomorrow i will get a caliper.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, but on the right rear. I posted the problem on here and someone mentioned even a freely sliding piston in the caliper can get hung up. Just to save myself possible extra work later on, I replaced both the hose and the caliper on that side at the same time and the problem went away. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.