2010 Jeep Liberty front wheel droning noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birddog777

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2010 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 that produces a droning noise when going past 30 - 80 miles per hour. Can here a droning sound like gears or like its in low gear but its not. More noticeable on the highway. Changed the front bearings, axles, rotors and brake pads calipers. Because I thought it was the bearing but its not, Can still here it after all the previous repairs.
The front end should be quieter then what I am hearing. Also took off front drive shaft. Noise still there.
Could it be rear pinion and bearing? Heard some have had to change that. Due to noise.

Can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
Anyone have the same problem and come up with a solution?

Last edited:

budget76

Reaction score
can you pull the front shaft and see if noise continues? This would tell you something. Looks like the garage gave you new parts which were not worn? At least you will not need change those parts again soon (we hope)

birddog777

Reaction score
can you pull the front shaft and see if noise continues? This would tell you something. Looks like the garage gave you new parts which were not worn? At least you will not need change those parts again soon (we hope)
Front shaft was removed. Noise is still there. Wondering if a bearing was no good. Maybe have to replace again?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, quality Chinese wheel bearing? Only cheap the first time you buy them I'm afraid. I only fit SKF now, got caught out with a cheap one on my wife's old Nissan, didn't even last a year.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is possible a brand new bearing can be no good. It happened to me before. It sounded like a weed whacker after about 50 miles. And you are right, @KJowner, it was aftermarket.

birddog777

Reaction score
Okay folks, after all that. Changed the differential to another used one. Had changed bearings. axles. And guess what? It was the tires. :( The previous owners had told me the tires were no good. But I never bothered to change them till recently. The droning noise disappeared from the front. I never knew tires could sound so loud and bad like that. Tire place said they were cupped. Thus the bit of vibration and humming noise. Hope this helps somebody else. I should have changed those in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.