Wearing out rear pads over fronts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i'm finally getting around to solving this problem, hopefully.
I'm ****** rear pads. Brake pedal engagement always feels weak on first press, then a quick pump and I have neck breaking stopping power available. I've bled the system more times than I can count, no effect. I've even used a scan tool capable of actuating the ABS pump to no positive effect. No visible leaks on any of the lines all the way from the master to the calipers. All 4 calipers move freely when I compress and extend the pistons.

Before I just start tossing parts at this thing (a new master cylinder being the first one) does this sound like something someone else has seen/experienced before, and has solved? I thought the standard brake split system exists (brake circuits are crossed to prevent total loss of one axle in case of a circuit failure), but with the ABS pump in the way I suspect that has no bearing any longer? It's just bizarre that it's both front brakes and not a cross brake fault.

eta: digging around some more i'm seeing the possibility that it's the ABS pump itself? god I hope not.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange one, normally it's only one wheel that goes like this and a simple calipers fault. I did read about one guy with a KJ who had a problem like this, it went away when he pulled the fuse for the ABS, might be worth a try??

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting to see who has found a fix for this also! My rear breaks wear more than the front brakes and to this day I haven't found out why!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are the later model jeeps that use the brakes as a substitute for a locker? If so then it's probably normal???

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are the later model jeeps that use the brakes as a substitute for a locker? If so then it's probably normal???
My 2006 does this, if one rear wheel slips enough the brake engages. I have only had it happen in snow. If my back end slides sideways in snow it engages a front brake to stop the slide

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all 4 brake hoses are only 6k miles old.
it is an 07 so it has an over-active ABS/ESP/TC system.
and there's 4 hard lines, since it's 4-channel ABS.

I think the bigger picture problem is the lack of front braking initially.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Caliper pistons up front seized?

I found both my rear calipers were seized and had to be replaced on my first brake job. No towing or wild use or abuse. I can't remember any wear difference front to rear. It was an early brake refresh so I was suprised the calipers were trashed.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. everything's free and moving.
like I said, she'll put you through the windshield on a stop, but you gotta pump the pedal once first.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be best to replace the master cylinder. They're cheap enough and not too hard to install.