Spongy brakes??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbach

Reaction score
2005 jeep liberty sport, 3.6l v6. I recently changed all the brake calipers as well as the brake master cylinder. I also changed the pads and rotors since there were cracks. However now I’m at a point to where when the car is off and push the brake pedal after 2-3 pumps it gets all stiff. But when I turn the car on and go to drive I only feel real resistance once I’m like 80% to the floor. So for 2/3rds of the way I get no brakes and then on that last 1/3rd of the way I get brakes if that makes sense. When I get going and pump that 2/3rds I get some stopping power. So I’m curious is this normal? I’ve already changed so many parts I’m thinking it could either be the junction block or the brake booster. Or idk bad vacuum going to the brake booster. Any help is appreciated.

Cbach

Reaction score
Interesting ok. A few weeks ago when I changed out all the calipers and pads and rotors I bled my brakes 3 different times and all that came out was fluid and it was the exact same feeling as earlier today

The gov

Reaction score
2005 jeep liberty sport, 3.6l v6. I recently changed all the brake calipers as well as the brake master cylinder. I also changed the pads and rotors since there were cracks. However now I’m at a point to where when the car is off and push the brake pedal after 2-3 pumps it gets all stiff. But when I turn the car on and go to drive I only feel real resistance once I’m like 80% to the floor. So for 2/3rds of the way I get no brakes and then on that last 1/3rd of the way I get brakes if that makes sense. When I get going and pump that 2/3rds I get some stopping power. So I’m curious is this normal? I’ve already changed so many parts I’m thinking it could either be the junction block or the brake booster. Or idk bad vacuum going to the brake booster. Any help is appreciated.
Definitely have air trapped in the brake lines, I would suggest you do a gravity bleed to begin with, grab yourself 4 beer bottles and some 3/16th clear tubing fill the bottles with enough brake fluid to barely cover the tubing crack the bleeders on your calipers, remove the master cylinder cover and keep it full while gravity does the rest, it's not instant results but it is the only effective way to purge air out of your brake system. once you see the bottles filling keep filling the master cylinder than close your bleeders and put the cover back on your master cylinder, you will definitely feel the difference in your brake pedal, I know there are many different styles of brake bleeding equipment out there from vacuum design to high tech units but you must remember most air becomes trapped in proportioning valves and A.B.S units and if you're using a vacuum pump sometimes you'll have cavitation of fluid which is a pain in the backside to get rid of,I apologize for the long winded reply and hope this helps it's old school but works well especially if you're all by yourself while doing repairs to the brake system.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bench bleed the master before installing it? You have the calipers on the correct way with the bleed nipples facing up?

Cbach

Reaction score
Definitely have air trapped in the brake lines, I would suggest you do a gravity bleed to begin with, grab yourself 4 beer bottles and some 3/16th clear tubing fill the bottles with enough brake fluid to barely cover the tubing crack the bleeders on your calipers, remove the master cylinder cover and keep it full while gravity does the rest, it's not instant results but it is the only effective way to purge air out of your brake system. once you see the bottles filling keep filling the master cylinder than close your bleeders and put the cover back on your master cylinder, you will definitely feel the difference in your brake pedal, I know there are many different styles of brake bleeding equipment out there from vacuum design to high tech units but you must remember most air becomes trapped in proportioning valves and A.B.S units and if you're using a vacuum pump sometimes you'll have cavitation of fluid which is a pain in the backside to get rid of,I apologize for the long winded reply and hope this helps it's old school but works well especially if you're all by yourself while doing repairs to the brake system.

Ok I’m going to try this today. How long should I leave all the bleeders open for and when I close them should I go furthest from the master cylinder?

The gov

Reaction score
Ok I’m going to try this today. How long should I leave all the bleeders open for and when I close them should I go furthest from the master cylinder?
Wait till the bottles are near full to be sure,just keep the master cylinder topped up, it might take 10 minutes or it could take an hour, I usually start with the 4 bleeders open and find that the closest to the master cylinder is the first to be closed, you can judge by monitoring the bottles and closing the bleeders as the bottles fill.

Cbach

Reaction score

Little update for everyone. I gravity bled my brakes like the gov mentioned. It worked. My brakes feel amazing now. Thank you all for your suggestions!!

Latest posts