So what did I do wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put all of the lift in. Thought it looked really high(24", axle to fender bottom) and the front wheel have a lot of positive camber. Took it for a test and the tires are squealing like I'm going around a corner all the time. I thought they would flatten out after a few times around the block but no such luck. Any ideas? :mad:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a alignment,then another one in a month or two(might settle a little by then).

Oh and if your sitting at 24" you probably will need to drop down that front some,your CV's will not like you for very long.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have three ring clevis and a 3/8" top plate, OME springs. That shouldn't give me that much.
That is a extra 1.5" of lift over what the coils will give you and if your light(no steel bumper and such) those 926's will give you 2.5 of lift by themselfs.Pull all the extra junk off and add later when needed after installing armor.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I drive this to the alignment shop like this? I'm afraid the tires will be shot by the time I get there. Can I mess with the LCA cams to bring it a little closer to neutral camber?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I drive this to the alignment shop like this? I'm afraid the tires will be shot by the time I get there. Can I mess with the LCA cams to bring it a little closer to neutral camber?
Yes you can drive it,be careful.No matter what you do something is going to be way out in your front alignment,either way it can scrub the tires to death fast.

BTW, I got mediums all around.
I know,that's why I called them 926's for the fronts.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So take out all the extra junk. I got the RRO UCA, will they be ok with all the other junk out? RRO said I had to have at least 2 1/4 in lift so I'm thinking I'm safe?

Will that bring the camber close? Why are some getting away with the exact same lift?

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm down to 22" after I sat in the garage turning from lock to lock a dozen times. It looked close so I drove it a couple of hundred yards and it's still squealing like a pig! I'll work on this tomorrow. out comes the junk!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are at 22 ( from middle of wheel to bottom of flare) you should be OK, the reason some get by with it is due to the fact they get an alignment right away. Once you get an alignment the front may drop some as well. It takes time for the arms to settle in and also the lift. Your toe in is way off right now for sure . I hope that you do not have to drive very far to the shop for an alignment!

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been hunting for a alignment shop close to home. We have a Four Wheel Parts and that was where I was going for the alignment but it's 15 miles. Afraid there won't be tires to align if I went that far.

Boiler

Reaction score
You dropped 2 inches from first day settling? Did it drop fast like something was bound keeping it down or not assembled correctly?

22 is where I sat with HD springs, 3/8" top plate, and no clevis. I can't see 3/8" of clevis give you another 2 inches, especially while using medium springs. I would have guessed you'd be at 22.5 to 23. Lots of people run around the 22-3/4 to 23 mark I think, but that's about it. If you're at 22 now get that alignment and remeasure before you take it apart, if you can get to the alignment shop.

Can't he make some rough adjustments to the alignment himself? I don't know what he needs to do so I can't say.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm tired and will be back at it in the morning after I have my coffee. I think I put everything together as should be. I'll make some calls and see what I can do. My Dad's coming in from Chicago Sunday and wanted this done. We'll see what happens!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
15 miles slow and easy you can do it

Here is the reason you dropped so much ( some post not knowing anything about a lift even if they have one)
First you installed a new set of springs etc. Having everything apart it takes a little while for it to settle down , ALSO you installed new UCAs, when you tighten them up they will stay in that position for a while until you drive and flex it some . The same way as if you jack the whole KJ up and then drop it back down it will stay "lifted" sitting there up to 1.5 to 2 inches taller
Don't start taking things apart . Get an alignment and all will be fine in the world.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You dropped 2 inches from first day settling? Did it drop fast like something was bound keeping it down or not assembled correctly?

Can't he make some rough adjustments to the alignment himself? I don't know what he needs to do so I can't say.

He dropped that much due to installing all ne w springs and also new UCAs. When you bolt them in they take on that position and will stay there for a short while until you drive or flex it out some. So yes it would drop fast like that, seen it several times now

Making "rough adjustments " on his own is not wise unless you know what you are doing . LIke yours it was way out of alignement right now. Also yours should of had more flex time/ driving before we got it aligned but due to time conctraits we couldn't wait. That is why it was out when you did the next alignment done.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Tom, This is my first experience with a lift. Now I'm doubting myself wondering if I forgot to tighten something. I'll pop the wheels off give it a once over and drive it to the alignment shop, close to home. Thanks again. Wow1.gif:)

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:):):):):)
Just got home from Big O tire. 160 bucks for a 5 year alignment deal. everything is a ok! Drives like a dream! Almost a Cadillac! Thanks, everybody!!!!!!!!!mj.gif

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online