Shock/Strut Options other than Rancho/OME?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
I'm new here, but have doing a lot of reading. I have a 06 Sport that I want to lift a bit and have settled on the Daystar. I am going to replace shocks for sure and am 90% settled on a strut replacement as well since the truck has 80,000 miles on it.

I do want to get the correct length shocks and struts for it, but I am not sure I want the OME or Rancho. Nothing against either one, I just prefer to take the "road less traveled" when it comes to vehicle modification.

The Rancho RSX17004 that everyone recommends cross reference to a 1998-03 Dakota and Durango 4wd. Am I correct to assume that any shock that is listed for a 98-03 Dakota/Durango will be the correct length for a 2.5" lift?

Are the OME/Rancho struts that everyone is recommending extended length or are they just well built stockers?

I know the Daystar isn't an extreme duty lift, but I live in Southeastern, WI so any wheeling I do will be light to moderate at best.

Thanks for the help!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personnally I'd stay away from OME shocks/struts,to soft in my book.The Rancho's are great and will last a long time,much longer then the others(except OME).Monroe struts are junk,worse then the OEM stuff,Koni makes some struts for the KJ but you can get 2 Rancho's for the price of one of the Koni's and the Rancho's will last longer.

I feel ya that you want to be different but why put junk on your KJ just to be different? Just stick with Rancho or OME.

Oh and just to let you know that you will get severe sag after about 2-3 years from your front coils with the daystar spacer lift.Might just want to pony up the extra $150 and get OME HD(927 and 948) coils and get the same amount,or more,in lift and the OME coils will last alot longer and give you a better ride.

The Rancho struts/shocks,OME F/R coils,and extended F/R bumpstops can be had for about $650-$700 and you will have about the best you can get with that combo and get 3" of lift from it also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Personnally I'd stay away from OME shocks/struts,to soft in my book.The Rancho's are great and will last a long time,much longer then the others(except OME).Monroe struts are junk,worse then the OEM stuff,Koni makes some struts for the KJ but you can get 2 Rancho's for the price of one of the Koni's and the Rancho's will last longer.

I feel ya that you want to be different but why put junk on your KJ just to be different? Just stick with Rancho or OME.

Oh and just to let you know that you will get severe sag after about 2-3 years from your front coils with the daystar spacer lift.Might just want to pony up the extra $150 and get OME HD(927 and 948) coils and get the same amount,or more,in lift and the OME coils will last alot longer and give you a better ride.

The Rancho struts/shocks,OME F/R coils,and extended F/R bumpstops can be had for about $650-$700 and you will have about the best you can get with that combo and get 3" of lift from it also.

Times two upgrade now and be done, OME/Ranchos and over 75000 miles lifted, what does that tell you?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Rancho struts up front and some RMX Xtreme shocks in the rear. Got them because they were cheap but I had to buy those to keep the limited lifetime warranty on my lift. You can tell the difference between the Rancho and the RMX when I go over bumps, the front is nice and smooth and the rear is rough and hard.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't scrimp on quality!... A cheap lift will just end up costing you more time and money in the long run even if you don't wheel it at all. Front OME 927 coils and rear OME 948 coils should last for the life of your KJ. Rancho front 17505 are a H.D. with lifetime warranty and for the rear you can go Rancho 17004 or as I chose, Gaberial for a Durango from Auto Zone which was Half the price of the 17004's and still had a limited lifetime warranty which the Rancho's also have. Add some cheap extended bump stops front and rear and you will have a quality suspension that will last you far into the future.

Shop around and research for the best prices, buy parts separate and save over advertized kits.
Check KJ forums for used and sometimes new parts, for lots less when people strip down their mods to trade in or sell their KJ's. Deals are out there, you just have to look for them!

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME..... NUFF SAID!

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have to agree with the tjkj2002's comments, spend the extra money for a lift that includes replacement shocks/struts/coils on all four corners.

I have a Rusty's spacer lift that only came with spacers under the rear coils, spacers on top of the front struts & new shocks in the rear only. Sure it didn't cost me much and it looks good but now I'm faced with frequently failing front struts. My next purchase will be new OME HD coils & Rancho struts.