Scraping/rattle sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm hearing a scraping/rattle sound when the KJ is cold and I hit rough pavement. I didn't hear it till I had taken the calipers off to look at the pads last weekend. I checked the caliper bolts and they are tight, there's still a little bit of slop in the drives side caliper. The noise seems to subside if you hit the brakes. And you can only hear it from inside- if you roll down the window you can't hear the noise.

I'll be redoing the front brakes this weekend but I just wanted to see if there's anything else I should look at. Thanks!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the "anti-rattle" straps and clips for the caliper sliding surface. also make sure that the dust shields on the backsides are securely mounted and not contacting the rotors. (the shields on the rear brakes are held in by aluminum rivets that corrode/dissolve into another plane of non existence). and as i always do remove the rubber bushing on the shaft of the slide pins, (not the rubber accordion boot that keeps dust out, i am referring to the grooved rubber sleeve/bushing that goes inside the hole that the pins slide in and out of). that bushing will swell up and cause the calipers to hang up slightly. and i also recommend using the permatex ceramic based brake caliper lubricant, (pinkish/purple in color), i check the slide pins once or twice a year and that lube has never gummed up on me.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to replace all the clips with the new brakes. Good ideas, thanks. I'm just trying to rule out that it's not brake related. Which it likely is.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Replaced the front brakes (rotors and pads) and lubed up the slide pins and the noise is still there. Goes away after it's been driven awhile. It's like a rattley scrapy noise, only hear it on bumps and it sounds a little bit rotational. Rear dust shields are in tact and I spun the front whee bearings by hand and they were smooth and quiet. Any other ideas?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of brake pads do you have on the front?
Had a customer back quite a few years ago that after his pickup sat over night it had a rotational noise in the front for a few miles.
Swapped out the brake pads and it stopped, never did quite figure out why they did that , but we tried everything else . I just happened to have a 1/2 ton GMC sitting there that I was lowering and swapped the pads off of it. Took care of the noise, 23 days later he cane back, installed new set and all was good
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:blah:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It did it with EBC green stuff pads and it still does it with power stop evolution pads. It rattles with a rotational scraping sound. Doest make any vibrations or anything like that. And it only does it over rough pavement.

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did it with EBC green stuff pads and it still does it with power stop evolution pads. It rattles with a rotational scraping sound. Doest make any vibrations or anything like that. And it only does it over rough pavement.

How are you liking the Power Stop brake parts?
I was thinking about getting their pads and rotors when mine get worn down

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems to stop nicely, have about 10 miles on them lol. I'll keep everyone updated.

Update: checked rear axle and no noises from it

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it make a difference what side of the rotor the pad with the wear indicator goes on? I put it on the inner face side.

I'm seriously at a loss of what it could be.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's something bushing related. Thinking sway bar bushings. Is there an easy way to isolate the sway bar bushings from the links to test it out?

68NOVASS

Reaction score
I just bought a high mileage Liberty and have the same or similar noise. Happens when entering or leaving an inclined driveway and on rougher bumps in the road. I can't reproduce it with vehicle standing still. I was thinking bushings as well. Any luck figuring it out?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished fixing something similar to this on mine.. would mostly only hear is pulling into my grandmother's rough long driveway.. I was constantly making myself think something was loose and crawl under it..
seemed like it would go away while braking though so might be different if yours doesnt.
Went with moog links.. pretty cheap for 2, put them on and torqued them properly.. and that year long rattles finally dissappeared..
If that's not your issue, hopefully it shows itself!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine I noticed when I rocked it in the driveway made a bad creak noise. Disconnected the sway bar and it was still there, so I started spraying everything down with soapy water till it went away. I think it's the isolators on the driver's side.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Still there after new lower and upper isolators on the driver's side. Dammit. Would be possible for any of the control arm bushings (lower or upper) to make that noise? It sounds like it's coming from something in the coil area, not as far down as the LCA.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Scale of 1-10 (1 being no ragrets, not even a letter and 10 being why did you let me do this?!), how bad would I regret spraying bushings down with silicone spray till it stops? The cold is making it worse.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If mean the bushings for the control arms.. if you only put it on the bushings it shouldn't really affect much should it? Silicone helps prolong the life of weatherstripping and rubber doesn't it? So I don't think it would hurt the bushings any..
I'm not the most knowledgeable one in this department, but since you got no input elsewhere just figured I'd say 3... 4 in case of an unforseen problem

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The greater the risk, the greater the return!

I'm going to try to get a vid while driving it.

Latest posts

Members online