Loud rattling noise - top engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lobato

Reaction score
Yep, never realized I didn't post anything after the issue with my water pump. I replaced the lifters but the noise is still there, and after reading more I realized that I should also have replaced the rocker arms, as there was quite a bit of lateral play on two of those. Didn't have the time to mess around with the Libby with other projects on the line tho...

Lobato

Reaction score
So, I finally got time to dig a bit more into the issue, and following recommendations I decided to open the timing chain cover. This is what I found:
You must be registered for see images attach

This guide was in pieces, and the left tensioner was also completely shot.

I am now disassembling the whole thing and installing a new timing chain kit, but I ran into another hiccup. There is one T30 (I think) bolt that holds one of the guides that is not going anywhere, and after trying two times by hand I am fairly sure the head is somewhat stripped. Pictures below:

Bold location (lower portion of the image):

Detail of the head:

Before I continue trying to remove this bolt, I wanted to see if any of you have ideas on how to remove it without going crazy on it. I had a very experience with the stupid belt tensioner (bolt was overtightened and the head also stripped) and I literally had to cut the thing into pieces to get it out so I could access one of the bolts to remove the timing cover.

So, any ideas?!

Thanks!!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I finally got time to dig a bit more into the issue, and following recommendations I decided to open the timing chain cover. This is what I found:

This guide was in pieces, and the left tensioner was also completely shot.

I am now disassembling the whole thing and installing a new timing chain kit, but I ran into another hiccup. There is one T30 (I think) bolt that holds one of the guides that is not going anywhere, and after trying two times by hand I am fairly sure the head is somewhat stripped. Pictures below:

Bold location (lower portion of the image):

Detail of the head:

Before I continue trying to remove this bolt, I wanted to see if any of you have ideas on how to remove it without going crazy on it. I had a very experience with the stupid belt tensioner (bolt was overtightened and the head also stripped) and I literally had to cut the thing into pieces to get it out so I could access one of the bolts to remove the timing cover.

So, any ideas?!

Thanks!!
Since it is already buggered up, try to actually tighten it a bit first to see if that releases some of the tension. I was going to suggest an impact driver (like right angle) set up and see if the short rapid blasts move it.

Lobato

Reaction score
Since it is already buggered up, try to actually tighten it a bit first to see if that releases some of the tension. I was going to suggest an impact driver (like right angle) set up and see if the short rapid blasts move it.
Thanks!!
I have an impact driver (a cordless Dewalt) and air tools too - air wrench and an air impact gun. I tried the Dewalt one but it started to spin and I don't want to eat the bolt if I can use something else to get it out without destroying it, although I will likely replace that one for a hex bolt, since this is the only torx bolt I have there.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- so - ive never seen this up close but. The other guide. Is it all plastic or is there a metal sleeve thru the bolt hole? If all plastic - a sharp chisel to crack that guide away, then grab the bolt head however you choose.

Lobato

Reaction score
- so - ive never seen this up close but. The other guide. Is it all plastic or is there a metal sleeve thru the bolt hole? If all plastic - a sharp chisel to crack that guide away, then grab the bolt head however you choose.
The other one had a metal sleeve around the bolt, but clearly it didn't help much to prevent it from breaking heheh... I might try to break the guide though, to see if I can grab the bolt easier. Tomorrow I will work on that and will post the results here.
thanks a lot for the help :)

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck using Knipex brand pliers to get stubborn bolts like that to loosen. They will grab as long as there is a bit of an edge on the bolt which it looks like there is.

Lobato

Reaction score
If you resort to destructive measures try drilling the head off with a left-handed drill bit. Sometimes they'll back right out.
Non-destructive methods have all failed... And that's the metal guide, so I would have to try to cut that thing off, which I don't want to do... last thing I need is for a grinder or something like that to touch the head and damage it. I will resort to this method now, but now I will have to get a new bolt for that guide as well.

it is just like the saying: "Every Twenty Minute Job Is One Broken Bolt Away From Becoming A Three Day Ordeal"

Last edited:

Lobato

Reaction score
Aaaand it is out! I believe the sleeve seized around the bolt and that locked the bolt in place. I had to break/cut the guide off, then grabbed the bolt with a vise grip and manage to break the bolt loose. After that, I removed the remaining components (chains and tensioners) and tomorrow hopefully I start putting it back together after work.

Because I had to cut this thing off, there's quite a bit of metal shavings that I could not remove, and I am afraid those might plug something up and starve the engine out of oil. I am planning on dropping the oil pan - as most of the plastic guides were broken and I don't know if I got all of the parts - but I wanted to see if there's something else I can do. Maybe after dropping the oil pan, putting everything together with fresh oil and change the oil again after a few kms?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaaand it is out! I believe the sleeve seized around the bolt and that locked the bolt in place. I had to break/cut the guide off, then grabbed the bolt with a vise grip and manage to break the bolt loose. After that, I removed the remaining components (chains and tensioners) and tomorrow hopefully I start putting it back together after work.

Because I had to cut this thing off, there's quite a bit of metal shavings that I could not remove, and I am afraid those might plug something up and starve the engine out of oil. I am planning on dropping the oil pan - as most of the plastic guides were broken and I don't know if I got all of the parts - but I wanted to see if there's something else I can do. Maybe after dropping the oil pan, putting everything together with fresh oil and change the oil again after a few kms?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Buy some brake and clutch cleaner spray and blast all the bits out of the engine, I love the stuff, removes all sorts of muck.

Lomita

Reaction score
Hey guys

Need some ideas here. My 2006 Libby has developed a very bad rattling noise when idle and after reaching working temperature. It does not follow a "pattern" or rhythm. Pretty much disappears when accelerating, around 2000 rpm is gone. Fairly sure is coming from the top of the engine, and I would say on the driver's side. When idling I can hear it from the inside of the cabin, and it is also noticeable when I let go the throttle. My initial guess is timing chain tensioners, and maybe a failed gasket, as I noticed some coolant sitting close to where the oil filter is. The Liberty is now with 311k km on the clock.

What else, other than bad timing tensioners, can it be? Would you guys recommend changing the chain as well, or only the tensioners?

I will try and make a video of it and add to this thread.

Cheers!
Sounds like good candidate for some SeaFoam oil treatment.

Latest posts

Members online