Rusty's or JBA??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
acutally my first pick would be OME HD and the JBA, Im not s big fan of Rustys coils lift the coil rating on them is the same as your stock coils, whereas OME HD are 410#, stock and Rustys coils are 300#

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly does coil rating effect? As far as i know the higher the rating, the less will the coils lose height under weight... Am i right?

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the OME HDs are for KJs w/ a bumper and winch or just a bumper but I would still recommend the HDs the ride with OME is so much better than stock its hard to describe and if you go that way you will also need new struts and coils and you can get OME there too or Rancho, I dont know the p/n off the top of my head for the OME struts but the shock would be N132L dor the longer and the Ranchos are RSX17505 and RSX 17004

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but i would still appreciate to hear anyone's opinion about the JBA.
Also the best choise for me would be to get an assembled lift kit, as they are assigned to a specific car model and hopefully no parts can be mixed up...and if i choose a kit from different parts and manufacturers myself, the chance that i can get not what i need is much bigger and since it won't be very profitable to send the parts that wont fit back, i can't take that chance. As i understand OME doesn't offer lift kits specifically for KJ?!

By the way what kind of shocks do you use in the rear? Cos i got myself a pair of dobinsons and boy those are hard, it's like a have no suspension at all :) that's why i'm going to change them for something else.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
OME is the Australian company that makes the springs and struts/shocks for such kits as the Frankenlift and such.

If money is no object, then I would go with the hd Frankenlift. This kit is a combination of all the best parts out there for the KJ, a little from Daystar, a little from OME and voila....a Frankenlift is born.:D

I have the Rusty's coil over kit on mine, and it's all I really need since I don't have a ARB bumper. But all I need is the OME HD springs and the Daystar spacer and I've got myself a Frankenlift too. I will swap out the springs if my kit sags too much in the future.

Right now I have the OME shocks (N 132L'S ) and struts on the KJ, Daystar upper strut plates in the garage waiting for the day I swap springs.

Last edited:

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHAT?! no OME was made just for the KJ, fro the rear on mine I have OME N132 or you can use Rancho for a Durango I believe it is RSX17004, and as far as JBA 2.5" I dont know anyone running thta lift everyone pretty much has OME or Rustys

I dont know how much you are wanting to spend but you can get the Frankenlift it is a 2.5" lift using OME coils and the front struts come pre-assembled

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont understand the comment about mixing / ordering the wrong parts. The OME 927 Heavy Duty springs are made for the front of a KJ nothing else.
Rancho RSX 17505s are made for the KJ, the RSX 17004 s work great on the rear. If you let us tell you what you need you can not order the wrong parts LOL
Frankenlift is the best bar none
next OME springs rancho shocks / struts you can go medium also if you want
next if you want to keep your stock springs go with a Daystar lift
Rustys , well some run them but seems like a lot also switch them out for OMEs

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Well Tommudd, money is an object for some of us in life unfortunately.;)
That's why I went with the Rusty's kit (used I might add) for my rig. Also I don't know how harsh a ride I would get with the HD OME's. My roads here in Igloo-Land are cow paths at best.

Getting back to Max Pain's query, everyone will tell you OME is the best. The Frankenlift comes pre-assembled, which makes install a breeze.That being said, it boils down to money. How much are you comfortable spending on a lift? How many times do you want to change out the springs? For me, changing springs is no big deal, but for some it is a PIA.:p

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I went with the Rusty's kit (used I might add) for my rig. Also I don't know how harsh a ride I would get with the HD OME's. My roads here in Igloo-Land are cow paths at best.

Getting back to Max Pain's query, everyone will tell you OME is the best. The Frankenlift comes pre-assembled, which makes install a breeze.That being said, it boils down to money. How much are you comfortable spending on a lift? How many times do you want to change out the springs? For me, changing springs is no big deal, but for some it is a PIA.:p

the OME HDs arent a harsh ride at all, lol after I installed mine the next time my mother rode in there she even noticed how much better of a ride it is and said thtatit was even better than her car

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME springs or dont bother
Rancho struts and shocks or OME you pick both are good

fact is the stock springs sag
if Crustys ,I mean, Rustys spring are the same rate as stock then they will sag
it is not an opinion but a fact

The JBA lift looks like a Skyjacker lift
I dont know much about it but for the same or less you can get the tried and true OME lift
shop around and for ~$600 or so + install you can get the OME/Rancho set up that I have been running for over 20K with NO problems
I know of 1 other local KJ that is running the Crusty coils and has had SEVERAL problems due to sag and shock failures in the rear on top of all the noise they make it also does not ride and handle as well as our '03
same year and about the same milage on both with close to the same milage on the 2 lifts

so yeah you can save $50 or maybe even $100 but you will pay for it at some point

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, speaking about my budget, i'd remind you that since the lift kit is going to fly half a globe to me, i am going to pay twice the price it has in the store + installation money...so yep, frankenlift is great, but i dont think i can afford it.
Someday i will put an ARB (actually i'll make a custom one, but it will be close to ARB) so spring sagging won't be welcome.
About mixing of stuff, it's not me, who can make a mistake it's many other people who can, when it's not one part you are ordering...
So if i'm going with OME lift, what exactly do i need to order?
2.5 HD springs for KJ...

By the way i don't see springs for liberty on OME site...neither i can see bump stops.

Ok, found these
http://www.oldmanemu.com/item.html?pid=2009&start=1
where does it say that they give 2.5 lift?

Last edited:

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the daystar strut plates, are they really necessary?

Crap...beginnig to understand, that i'm gonna have to buy a frankenlift...unless someone says JBA one is fine :)

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah they will be needed if you plan on the Daystar poly spring spacers, along with the OME coils. You can just run OME coils and the stock upper strut plates, but that will only give 1.5" of lift on the front.

Like I said earlier, you want the best and do it once?....get the Franky.

I just happened to strike a good deal on this kit I bought, Rusty's springs and OME shocks/struts. It was half the price of the Franky, and gave me just as much lift.:D

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just strange to buy a 1000$ lift with spring spacers :) even if they are 1" tall...
So if i buy a kit with long springs i'm not gonna need new spring plates?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Money is an object for some of us???????WTH I bought my parts over 2 months time, found great deals, on sale shocks etc. Ride is not harsh, rides like a caddy out on the road, and I will bet I travel worse roads than those straight highways you all have out your way. Half my miles are on back country gravel roads in Southeastern Ohio and West Virginia, get really tired of people thinking they have to buy it all today and that if you go for the best you must have a ton of money or something??????????????????/////

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's just strange to buy a 1000$ lift with spring spacers :) even if they are 1" tall...
So if i buy a kit with long springs i'm not gonna need new spring plates?

ARB/OME sells all over the world check around and see if someone doesn't sell them in your country
Need OME 927 fronts
OME 948 rears those are both the heavy duties