1st Time Lifter, Nervous! 2002 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mertz019

Reaction score
Hey all, this is the first time I am lifting a Jeep and i'm nervous about it. Fortunately, i'm doing it at a place with all tools needed including Spring Compressors, Ball Joint kits, ect., but i'm definitely an amateur car guy. On the other hand, i’m excited to do this job and learn from it.

Long story short, I got a quote from a 4X4 shop near me, they wanted to charge me $5900 for to install a Rocky Road Kit. They originally wanted to sell me a Skyjacker, but I want the OME/BILSTEIN combo, the Rocky Road was their counter offer. I've decided to do it myself for obvious reasons and i'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. I want to make sure I’m purchasing the correct parts and I have a few questions to go with these parts. I’ve gotten most of my info from this forum, but I am still looking for a “double check” from the pros.

PARTS:
* JBA UCA's
*Front: Old Man Emu 2927 springs with Bilstein #24-139168 shocks
*Rear: Old Man Emu 2948 springs with Bilstein #24-185660 shocks
*(2) 2" Teraflex front bump stops (I have no idea what to buy)
*(4) hockey pucks for the rear, ( two per side bolted down to the lower spring perch after installing the rear springs ) Drill hole first before you install springs

Here are my questions:

*Will this lift combo give me a 2.5" lift with a “level” result?

*Since the rear shocks are for a Wrangler, is this still a direct fit?

*What TeraFlex Bump Stops do I buy?

*Am I missing anything?

*Do you recommend a specific site for Off-road Parts?

*I’m still a bit confused about the Hockey Puck install.

I am willing to listen to any tips or criticisms at any point. I want to do this once and do it right.
This is an amazing site and I appreciate all it has to offer! Thanks y’all!

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t done any serious wrenching for eighteen years, so if I can do it, you likely can as well. I just replaced my shocks and springs a month ago. Still breaking them in, but first measurement was 21” all around, before it was 18”.

Search for Teraflex here and you’ll find Tom Mudd’s post with the part number and phone number. You have to call, it’s not on their website anymore. Drill holes through the center of the pucks, and the plate the spring rests on. I think I used an M8; again, search for hockey pucks here and you’ll find more posts. The hard part was getting my big fat fingers up under the plate with the nut and washer.

I bought the OME from offroadwarehouse.com

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all, this is the first time I am lifting a Jeep and i'm nervous about it. Fortunately, i'm doing it at a place with all tools needed including Spring Compressors, Ball Joint kits, ect., but i'm definitely an amateur car guy. On the other hand, i’m excited to do this job and learn from it.

Long story short, I got a quote from a 4X4 shop near me, they wanted to charge me $5900 for to install a Rocky Road Kit. They originally wanted to sell me a Skyjacker, but I want the OME/BILSTEIN combo, the Rocky Road was their counter offer. I've decided to do it myself for obvious reasons and i'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. I want to make sure I’m purchasing the correct parts and I have a few questions to go with these parts. I’ve gotten most of my info from this forum, but I am still looking for a “double check” from the pros.

PARTS:
* JBA UCA's
*Front: Old Man Emu 2927 springs with Bilstein #24-139168 shocks
*Rear: Old Man Emu 2948 springs with Bilstein #24-185660 shocks
*(2) 2" Teraflex front bump stops (I have no idea what to buy)
*(4) hockey pucks for the rear, ( two per side bolted down to the lower spring perch after installing the rear springs ) Drill hole first before you install springs

Here are my questions:

*Will this lift combo give me a 2.5" lift with a “level” result? YES

*Since the rear shocks are for a Wrangler, is this still a direct fit? WHERE DID YOU GET INFO FOR THOSE SHOCKS

*What TeraFlex Bump Stops do I buy? JUST CALL AND THEY HAVE THEM FOR FRONT OF A KJ

*Am I missing anything? YES ROCKY ROAD IS TERRIBLE

*Do you recommend a specific site for Off-road Parts?

*I’m still a bit confused about the Hockey Puck install.

I am willing to listen to any tips or criticisms at any point. I want to do this once and do it right.
This is an amazing site and I appreciate all it has to offer! Thanks y’all!

mertz019

Reaction score
*Since the rear shocks are for a Wrangler, is this still a direct fit? WHERE DID YOU GET INFO FOR THOSE SHOCKS

When I go to OffroadWarehouse.com and type in yhis part#: Bilstein #24-185660, it comes back as a Wrangler Shock and asks for Wrangler Trim.

Thanks Tom !

EagleKJ

Lurking member
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I go to OffroadWarehouse.com and type in yhis part#: Bilstein #24-185660, it comes back as a Wrangler Shock and asks for Wrangler Trim.

Thanks Tom !
You will need a couple bushings and washers. Somebody posted the sizes recently. You can get them from the hardware store.

Attachments

• 16609517572334883395475625887236.jpg
    16609517572334883395475625887236.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 35

mertz019

Reaction score
You will need a couple bushings and washers. Somebody posted the sizes recently. You can get them from the hardware store.
Thanks EKJ! Although, this just blew my mind. This is the first I'm reading about additional Bushings/washers needed. This is for the Rear Only, correct?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks EKJ! Although, this just blew my mind. This is the first I'm reading about additional Bushings/washers needed. This is for the Rear Only, correct?
Correct.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 24-139175 are standard length rear shocks for a KJ and the hardware is a direct fit. Another option to consider before placing your order.

Are you planning to stick with stock/near stock tires for the foreseeable future? Or will you be going to a larger (eg 245/75r16) tire in the future?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Better to ask every question in advance than to wait until you are in the middle of things. That's what I did.

(Then I called Tom, TwoBobs, and Mac and tried to make myself useful while they pretty much did it for me.) ;)

mertz019

Reaction score
Bilstein 24-139175 are standard length rear shocks for a KJ and the hardware is a direct fit. Another option to consider before placing your order.

Are you planning to stick with stock/near stock tires for the foreseeable future? Or will you be going to a larger (eg 245/75r16) tire in the future?
Hey WN! I'll be going with 245/75/16's on a set of Moabs. I've already ordered the 24-185660's, now i'm just acquiring the additional mounting hardware listed by EagleKJ above. Thx for the advice!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running 245/75 16 on my moabs because that's what I had coming off stock steel wheels which are 1 inch narrower. They fit the moabs fine, but look undersized on the 8 inch wide moabs. I will be going with 265/70 16 (same diameter as 245/75) maybe even 265/75 16.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey WN! I'll be going with 245/75/16's on a set of Moabs. I've already ordered the 24-185660's, now i'm just acquiring the additional mounting hardware listed by EagleKJ above. Thx for the advice!
265 70 16s fit and look WAY BETTER

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get to possibly try both.. The Moabs I picked up alread have the 265/75/16's on the rim. Thanks Tom!
So did mine when I got them. It was a ****. But maybe now that I'm gonna have 4.10 gears I'm looking forward to getting bigger tires

Reactions: JRB

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even regeared to 4.10s it will run like a dog
265 75 16s require 4.56s which as we know can not be ran in D30a.'4.10s and 265 70 16s are great combo though
Ya, that's most likely what I'll be getting. Just seems tobe more options in 265 75 16 which always makes me briefly consider it.

Reactions: JRB