Riddler Diff Cover On the Way!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope to have it here by Friday, coming UPS.
I think I may paint it bright Red.
Will install with 8.25 LubeLocker Gasket.
41008[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Need a gallon of Lucas Gear Oil and going to try the LubeGard posi additive.
41010[/ATTACH]"]

This should bring the rear diff strength up to speed.

Attachments

• RiddlerDiffCoverLubelocker825.jpg
    RiddlerDiffCoverLubelocker825.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • LucasandLubeGard.jpg
    LucasandLubeGard.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Riddler is nice.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Why did you sell it Tom, just wanted to try something else? Should fit with gas tank skid.
I just drove 48 miles return to get the Lubegard LS additive and while out there got some paint. Since it is an iron cover I think some primer would be a good idea with the Gloss Red.
Found the Lucas 85-140 but only in quart bottles locally. Those be here tomorrow.
41012[/ATTACH]"]

Gloss Red cover soon to appear on KJ!

Attachments

• TremCladRiddlerRed.jpg
    TremCladRiddlerRed.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use the lubelocker gasket with the Riddler cover(or any other machines cast cover),it will leak.When you get the cover you will see why,plus the bolts supplied are not long enough to use a gasket.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Troy I appreciate the input, but am determined to at least try the Lubelocker gasket.
I used the lubelocker on the PML ****** pan and the seal looks great and dry now with the lubelocker gasket there.
So what is it about the cover I am going to see that will want me to switch back to RTV again? Not level, not machined well or ?
AS far as the bolts go that can be upgraded to Gr.8 in a bit longer if needed, but from what I understand there are others who run this set up with lubelocker gaskets and do not have leaks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy I appreciate the input, but am determined to at least try the Lubelocker gasket.
I used the lubelocker on the PML ****** pan and the seal looks great and dry now with the lubelocker gasket there.
So what is it about the cover I am going to see that will want me to switch back to RTV again? Not level, not machined well or ?
AS far as the bolts go that can be upgraded to Gr.8 in a bit longer if needed, but from what I understand there are others who run this set up with lubelocker gaskets and do not have leaks.
Has a rough criss-cross sealing surface machined for RTV use.Plus the cover will not deform when the bolts are torqued down to aid in sealing with that gasket.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Starting to sound like I may need to return one 8.25 gasket.
What if I machined the surface of the Riddler cover?
Not sure on the deform part of cover if machined, the diff case is not cross hatched and the Lubelocker is level copper/silicone surface.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting to sound like I may need to return one 8.25 gasket.
What if I machined the surface of the Riddler cover?
Not sure on the deform part of cover if machined, the diff case is not cross hatched and the Lubelocker is level copper/silicone surface.
You'd have to machine the diff housing and diff cover to match.Why the lubelocker gasket works well with the stock stamped steel cover as it will deform the gasket and cover to match the diff housing.The Riddler cover will not so you end up crushing the lubelocker gasket in some spots while other spots actually have a gap which will let gear oil past.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How to Remove Left over Iron On Bolt Hole

Sounds Like RTV will get used if I can get the next problem fixed.
The cover came with an imperfection in bolt hole.The bolt with washer will not lay flat with this left over chunk of iron. Should I dremmell it with some head or hit it with a welder to remove this imperfection? Or just send it back???
Clean up idea appreciated...
41024[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• RiddlerImperfection.jpg
    RiddlerImperfection.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Replacement being sent out!

They are just going to send me out another so no need to hack away at it.
Even going to cover return postage.
Thanks to Tim at Riddler and Dan at Northridge ..Great Service guys!

moose340

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey let me know how it works, Im looking at getting one. Oh and for a gasket couldnt you use a paste type gasket?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Most use RTV as supplied with cover. I am even now more determined to to throw away RTV and use the Lubelocker gasket, after receiving a PM from Boiler with the Riddler cover,as he has been using them with good success, provided that you first replace the bolts with grade 8 or better as I now have been able to obtain. They need to be torqued first in sequence at 15 lbs and then up to 25 ft-lbs works well.
41033[/ATTACH]"]

If you want to know more, search google just type in:"
"Initial Review: Riddler Diff Cover (w/ LubeLocker gasket)"
I am going to use 2.5 quarts of Lucas 85-140 + LubeGard Limited Slip additive for trac-lok rear diff.
And for those that have seen some of my other paintworks, something cool regarding painting of the cover is going to be applied.
You are just going to have to watch and see how it turns out!

Attachments

• RiddlerNewBolts.jpg
    RiddlerNewBolts.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems you always try to over do and make things way harder than needed
Why use something which is not needed or recommended? Still don't get it.
Sorry:happy175:
You'd laugh and say the way I do mine would never ever work, but its doing great and cost next to nothing each time I change mine out

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom I would not laugh at the way you or most do your diff covers with RTV.
It is the acceptable norm. (and less risky) I just hate the allow set time and scraping & applying goop.
As far as cost goes yes the gasket does cost $22 plus shipping. Some have re used the same gasket a few times lowering the cost.
I simply had the gasket here already and want to try it.... nothing tried... nothing learned.
I do not see how using a gasket & bolts would make things more difficult.
I am hoping for no leaks and then it is much easier. Remove bolts/cover/clean/refill.
It all sounds good in practice, who knows I may be back to using RTV, but I hope NOT!
Really.. I suppose to each their own applies here.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
X2 With what Tom said.

I still don't get why you bought the diff cover in the first place? :shrug:

Is it for when you drive over stacked up 2X4's in the mall parking lot and one jumps up and hits the factor diff cover?

Waste of money for someone who hardly ever drives his KJ in the first place let alone even off road it!

What ever...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
So long as you watch for any signs of leaks to prevent internal damage, trying a different method shouldn't be an issue. Can't hurt to test a theory, IMO.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Phew finally some moral support!
Thank You Jayme! I needed that.
I sure will keep an eye out for leaks and monitor Lube levels.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
No worries. We all try things that we think (read: hope) that will work out well or improve upon things we already do or use. It doesn't have to be the same practice as everyone else. So long as you're informed and prepared for the potential outcomes, go for it. That's the approach I take with my KJ (and life in general). Not everything works out in the end, but hey... lessons learned... ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.