Johnny O's 2020 Rubicon Build - KHAAAAAN! the ScienceMobile II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Wow. Got a three mpg increase with the new plugs. Took a bit of driving around for the Rubicon software to get itself squared away...actually idled a tiny bit rougher the first 50 miles. Next up is some Techron followed by an oil change.
Going to tey out some 91 octane next fill up too. Apparently the 2L turbo prefers it, though the manual says 87 is fine too.

I have never played with a turbo before and am enjoying the learning curve.

Sure wish I had the Factory service manual. Couple of pay sites that claim to have the info, but if I'm gonna pay for it, I want the real deal.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So the Rubi sarted doing this bit where you get in and it locks all the doors and the horn sounds three times in rapid succession before you even start it. No messages or codes.

The web proved to be virtually useless...more evidence many Wrangler people aren't very bright, have opinions based on mild hallucinations, and are pedantic even by "MOPAR guy" standards. Well that and Wrangler folks would rather spend 3-600$ on a flash box to disable that function rather than actually fix the issue.

So had to get logical. Three horn beeps is a warning in JLs, similar to BiOS beeps on a PC motherboard...so yeah, there's an issue, but it ain't a big one or the brain box would tell you. As is usual, owner's manual and MOPAR site has zero on the subject.

Then it hit me. Which system is on the possible laundry list of a horn trios AND involves door locks, but doesnt involve the actual ignition circuit (starts just fine both local and remote)
There is only four possible answers:
1. Key Fob
2.Remote start/keyless entry/anti-theft
3. transceivers for all the above.
4. secondary brain box battery

Since my Rubi doesn't have passive entry and the security is off due to me pressing the fob to unlock and get in, can only be lousy coms on one of the transceivers or the back up battery.

I concluded the key fob was getting low, but not low enough to trigger the key fob warning on the dash.

Popped in a fresh battery and all is well.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Picked up this surprisingly good quality for the price seat covers. The pug patrol was sliding all over the "leather-trimmed" back seat while going for a ride. Fits the Wrangler back seat perfectly and has anti-slide silicone on the bottom. Picked one up for the kids to use in Bert but sadly does not fit KJ back seats well at all.
You must be registered for see images attach

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have something similar and it is handy for my barfing beagle.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So after much research, I have solved my electrical power requirements. Khan still had the factory batteries and they are near end-of-life.
Also learned the "emergency start secret" for when the notorious Aux battery craps out: Pull Fuse F42. This bypasses the Aux and allows you to start and/or jumpstart off the main battery. Important to know as one can't jumpstart properly with the Aux connected AND a bad Aux can drain the main.

FCA has yet to recall them as they are wearing the brown pants due to the (absolutely stupid gimmick) 4xEs burning to the ground on a regular basis and the subsequent 100% recall that dropped this week for the world's worst plug-in hybrid, but the IBS (AKA IBM) Intelligent Battery Sensor on all JLs and JTs does not function properly causing the now notorious "un-jumpable battery system failure". So I put in the upgraded part and have a spare in my emergency box.

Next, Proper Batteries were needed:
Turns out the MOPAR OE Aux/ESS battery is a piece of crap to the point FCA changed suppliers for them. You couldn't pay me to trust a dealership mechanic let alone any overpriced part with a MOPAR label, so I upgraded the Aux to a proper Odyssey Extreme AGM. (ODS-AGM14). Easy to change, just pull the passenger fender liner.
Next was the main battery upgraded to an Odyssey Performance ODP-AGM48 H6 L3. (At this time Odyssey does not make a BCI#48 Extreme, sadly).

The next step took me weeks of study. My existing solar/extra battery/120V rig from Bert just won't work with the Rubicon's dual battery system without spending nearly 2 grand. An internal upgrade of the Rubi's OE 120v inverter would be close to a grand to suit my needs.
That ain't happening.

Then by complete accident I found this turnkey system specifically designed for JL and JT Jeeps:

JEEP RUBICON WRANGLER JL AND GLADIATOR JT VSS SYSTEM™ - 30 WATT HOOD SOLAR PANEL

(Image pulled from vendor site)

Yep, one gets a combination solar cell/hood glare reducer that plug and plays to the factory system and provides constant intelligent trickle charging to the entire system. This extends the "idle operation time" of the factory battery system from 1.9 hours to up to a whopping 6 hours. In other words, I can do a full DNA sequencing run and still have 2 hours of juice left over. Times even longer in full sun. Worth. Every. Penny.

Total cost to me for these upgrades was under 1000$ and I leaned all the emergency start procedures if stuff happens while in remote areas! Repurposed Bert's system for power outage emergencies at home.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Very interesting… how did they address the need for a lower (AGM) charging voltage? Is there a diode in there somewhere?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Very interesting… how did they address the need for a lower (AGM) charging voltage? Is there a diode in there somewhere?
Correct. Is a switching unit and a step down transformer as part of the complete installation charge controller- Actuated off the alternator so solar is disconnected when engine running.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Thanks to driving Uber, my Rubicon build is coming along faster than planned. This is good as field season starts the week after the Memorial Day holiday in 2024!
Thanks to everything I learned about, Jeeps, overlanding, and field work with Bert, Khan is getting decked out to be the ultimate desert rat vehicle. Pavement Princesses and Brodozers can piss off.

Complete list of upgrades, maintenance, and repairs thus far:
(January 2nd 2024)
Oil system flush.
Coolant system flush
Transmission flush
Differentials drained and refilled
Power steering and brakes flushed
New spark plugs
New air filters
Sea Foam High Mileage treatments
Paramount heavy duty low profile rock sliders
Bushwhacker rocker guards
BFGoodrich KO2s in 285/75r17, 2 each, to replace the 265s previous morons had on the rear
Replacement switch and lock actuator on driver door
Replacement of both batteries to Odyssey Performance AGMs:
ODP-AGM48 H6 L3 for the Main.
ODS-AGM14 for ESS/Aux
*After much research the Performance rather than Extreme are best for my application. Also found loads of data the is better to pair series rather than mismatch due to recharge rates.
American Adventure Labs Spare tire delete kit
Cascadia 4x4 Solar trickle charge VSS system for Jeep JL
Assorted interior storage components
5 additional stock Rubicon Wheels
SHEAM rear door folding hinge steps
S&B Rubicon Hood Vents
Aluminum self custom fabricated aluminum hood vent drains

Currently to be ordered/on order/back order:
Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop camper kit (long lead time)
Custom fabricated aluminum trailer base for kit above with stock Rubicon height and wheels
7 each Falken Wildpeaks in 285/75r17 (I actually like the stock rubicon wheels) I’ll run KO2s around town and Falkens for Adventure mode)
Complete Old Man Emu Stock size heavy duty Rubicon suspension
Appropriate Moog Greaseable parts
EAG stubby front bumper
EAG rock crawler rear bumper with sensor ports
Smittybuilt Defender Jeep JL roof basket
Smittybuilt spare tire roof rack adapter
BulletPoint RubiGrid dash mount system for accessories
Custom tailored Kevlar Pug Adventure vest/harness combos
Custom fit “doggles” for Warpug and the Lupe Fiasco

Future shopping list ( actual items TBD):
Amber LED conversion fog lights as white fog lights are useless
LED wide angle pods for all sides of roof rack
Accessory lighting switches and wiring
Whip antenna for CB
Whip antenna for GMRS
driver front cowl mount platform for antennas
High power police style spotlight for front cowl mount
Mopar Snorkel
steel or aluminum fenders for stock lighting
Aluminum fender liners
Roof rack awning with bug nets (Beloved Slumberjack does not fit well on wrangler)
Roof rack kayak mounts
Winch and accouterments
interior driver compartment MOLLE system with gun mounts
CB radio
Solar Power system for Teardrop
Air Conditioner for Tear drop
Trailer hitch mount folding dual seat
External swing gate mounts for Propane and Jerry cans

New Overlanding gear:
Dometic Potable Water System
Multifuel stove
Solar LED light strip for new awning
Pressurized camping shower/ non potable water tank( likely self fabricate as consumer systems are stupidly over priced)
Folding stairs for the Pug Patrol

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Main battery arrived today after holiday delays. Had to buy both main and aux directly from Odyssey to get best price.

For reference, westcoastbattiersinc.com IS Odyssey. They have incredible customer service: no email chasing, an actual human calls you and/or answers. Shipping via FedEx with real time text message updates. Very impressed, no vendor mark ups. Got the main for 275 even and the aux for 157.
Just need a break in the weather to install them. Too cold here to be F'ing around with plastic clips and rivets.

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was Vivienne Westwood who said 'Be outrageous or die'.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Congrats! Welcome to the JL Club! It's the only thing Jeep makes now that can kind of replace the KJ! (But I still love my KJ!)
I really miss my KJ. But, my daughter and her partner love him and are learning to take proper care of him, so all good.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How cool, more KJ peeps that have JLs!! I figure I can share since a few others have done the same. :)

We started with one - my wife got her JLU Sport S in 2018, and kept it stock for 5 years. Our son installed Rubi takeoff springs/shocks and 33's in October when the OEM Goodyears finally wore out.

I liked my wife's JL so much I got a base Sport in 2019. We swapped on the Rubi takeoff suspension and wheels/tires in 2020 and have taken it wheeling a few times out to PA at Rausch Creek and AOAA.

Then, our son got a loaded '20 JLUR back in October. Stock except for the Goodyear 35's.

We're a Jeep family for sure!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
How cool, more KJ peeps that have JLs!! I figure I can share since a few others have done the same. :)

We started with one - my wife got her JLU Sport S in 2018, and kept it stock for 5 years. Our son installed Rubi takeoff springs/shocks and 33's in October when the OEM Goodyears finally wore out.

I liked my wife's JL so much I got a base Sport in 2019. We swapped on the Rubi takeoff suspension and wheels/tires in 2020 and have taken it wheeling a few times out to PA at Rausch Creek and AOAA.

Then, our son got a loaded '20 JLUR back in October. Stock except for the Goodyear 35's.

We're a Jeep family for sure!
Aye! wife loves the Khan so much she's looking at a Sahara. Fingers crossed.